Battle of the UTs: Texas hosts Tennessee

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Dec 10, 2016.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Both teams are coming off losses. Texas (2-4) lost at UConn 72-54 while Baylor took down Tenn (4-3) at the Lady Vols home, 88-66, one of the worse losses in years. Horns will try to avoid a three game losing streak as they play their second home game of six in the month of December. This game will the second straight that Tenn faces a Big 12 team. Tenn leads the series 23-14. Texas has won the last two in a row after five straight. Sophs Jordan, LaShann, Olamide and Khaléann and juniors Brooke, Ariel and Tasia have yet to lose to Tenn in their career. Srs. Kelsey and Brianna are experienced victory the last two seasons after suffering a loss their freshman season. Tennessee has the better win/loss record but Texas is the team that is ranked. In both the AP and Coaches polls, Texas is #17 while Tennessee is receiving votes but not in the top 25.

Tennessee Lady Vols bring three players averaging double figures to Austin. Mercedes Russell (# 21, 6-6 RS Jr. C) is just 0.7 rpg from averaging a double double. She is the leading scorer at 14.7 ppg. Jamie Nared (# 31, 6-2 Jr. G/F) is the third Lady Vol in double digits scoring at 13.3 ppg. Tenn is only shooting 41.1% from the field as a team. Only Russell is over 45% at 53.0% (44-83). DeShields is hitting 42.1% (40-95) while Nared is at 41.0% (32-78). Those three have taken 256 of the team’s 457 FG attempts. They have made 116 of the 188 FGs made (61.7%). Four of the players that average double digit minutes make 35.2% of their shots or less. Kortney Dunbar (# 13, 6-2 Jr. F) leads five players that have taken at least 18 treys this season with 29 attempts. She has made 7 (24.1%). Alexa Middleton (# 33, 5-9 Jr. G) is the main threat from downtown, hitting 12-24 from BTA. Meme Jackson (# 10, 5-11 Soph. G/F) is also a threat, hitting 38.9% (7-18). Russell’s 53 FT attempts almost double Nared’s 27, who is second in FT attempts. Nared has connected on 23 to lead the Lad Vols in FT percentage at 85.2%. DeShields is second in FT% at 81.0% , hitting 17-21 FTs. Russell does a credible job taking advantage of her opportunities at the FT line, making 36 of 53 (67.9%).

Russell is the leading rebounder at 9.3 rpg. Nared adds 8.7 rpg. DeShield averages 7.0 rpg. Jordan Reynolds (# 0, 5-11 Sr. G) pitches in with 6.3 rpg. Schaquilla Nunn (# 4, 6-3 RS Sr. F) grabs 5.1 rpg. But with Tenn only making 41.1% of shots and opponents a paltry 35.2%, there are a lot of rebounds to grab. Three players lead in assists, with DeShields tops with 28. Middleton and Reynolds have 20 assists each. Russell has 14 blocks and DeShields 10 to top the Lady Vols in that category. Reynolds is the only Lady Vol to reach double digits in steals with 10. Nared and Middleton have nine steals each and DeShields has eight.

The Lady Vols lost three key players before the season started. Andraya Carter retired from basketball due to an accumulation of injuries over her four years, foregoing her fifth year of eligibility. She penned an eloquent letter to fans and friends about her decision. A link to the story: http://www.utsports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/080316aad.html It is a story well worth reading for those that have not had the chance to do so before.
    An excerpt from the story:
    Tea Cooper suffered a left knee injury this summer and is sitting out the season rehabbing. With the loss of Carter and Cooper, the Lady Vols lost the two players expected to the top PGs for the team. Cheridene Green, a JC transfer, is also sitting out this season to rehab a right knee injury suffered last season.

All that leaves Tenn with just nine active players on the roster. Eight make up the primary rotation. Russell, DeShields and Nared have started all seven games. Reynolds has started all six games that she has played in. Nunn has four starts. Middleton and Jackson each have started two games. Dunbar has not started although she has played in all seven games Reynolds (32.3 mpg), Nared (31.9 mpg), Russell (31.4 mpg) and DeShields (30.7 mpg) play pretty much most of each game. Jackson (24.1 mgp) was the fifth starter vs Baylor. Middleton (26.3 mpg), Dunbar (11.9 mpg) and Nunn (12.4 mpg) are the key reserves. Kamara Harris (# 5, 6-3 Fr. C) has played in three games, averaging 8.3 mpg.

Brooke (14.5 ppg), Ariel (12.0 ppg) and Joyner (10.5 ppg) are the leading scorers for Texas. Kelsey is fourth at 8.8 ppg. Those four are the only ones that have made at least 20 FGs this season. Brooke has made 33-70 (47.1%). Ariel has hit on 27-58 (46.6%). Joyner has connected on 26-63 (41.3%). Kelsey is the team leader in FG% at 58.5% (24-41). Jada has made 57.1% of her shots while both Brianna and Jordan are hitting at a 50% rate. Brooke far and away is the main 3pt shooter for the Horns. She has made 41.9% from BTA, hitting 13 of 31 treys. Ariel is next on number of 3s taken, going 4-14 (28.6%). LaShann is one of one from BTA. Jada is 2-3 in 4 games (66.7%). Brianna has connected on 37.5% (3-8) while Alecia is at 33.3% (2-6). Everyone but Kelsey and Olamide has at least one three pt attempt. None of the Horns has gotten to the FT line more than Joyner’s 18. But she has only made 10 for 55.6%. Jordan is 2-2 from the FT line. Ariel has hit 14 of 17 (82.4%). Brooke has hit two-thirds of her FTs (8-12). Overall, the Horns are making a below average 64.1% from the FT line. The top rebounders are Kelsey (6.7 rpg), Joyner (5.0 rpg), Brianna (4.5 rpg) and Audrey-Ann (4.0 rpg). Brooke also shows up at the top of the list for assists with 21. Ariel and LaShann each has 12 assists while Joyner has 11. Texas averages just under one assist on every two made FGs. Kelsey has 11 blocks, 1.8 blocks a game. Audrey-Ann is second with six blocks. The top three ball thieves for the Horns are Ariel (15 steals), LaShann (10 steals) and Brooke (5 steals).

Brooke, Ariel and Brianna have started all six games for the Horns. That backcourt stability might be in danger if Ariel, injured vs UConn, is unable to go this Sunday. Joyner has started the last five games, coming off the bench only in the first game of the season. Kelsey (4 starts) and Audrey-Ann (2 starts) have split the starts at the five position with Kelsey getting the starting nod the last three games. Tasia has one start. Brooke is the only Horn averaging over 25 mpg at 32.7 mpg. Ariel (21.8 mpg), Joyner (24.3 mpg), Kelsey (23.5 mpg) and Brianna (22.7 mpg) play just over a half per game. LaShann (17.0 mpg), Jada (12.3 mpg), Audrey-Ann (16.2 mpg) and Tasia (10.5 mpg) are getting double digit minutes as well. Jada has missed the last two games while under the concussion protocol. Khaléann has just returned from an injury. Eleven players are healthy with Alecia limited in her minutes as she continues to recover from an ACL injury her senior year in high school. She has been playing double digit minutes one game, single digits the next. She played a season high 15 minutes against UConn. It will be interesting to see if she plays less than 10 minutes against Tennessee, given that there is a week between the UConn game and the Tennessee game. No announcement yet on whether Jada or Ariel will be available for Sunday’s game.

Projected starters based on the last game:

Texas_______________Tennn
    Joyner (6-3)________ DeShields (6-1)
    LaShann (5-9)______ Jackson (5-11)
    Kelsey (6-5)_______ Nared (6-2)
    Brianna (5-9)______ Reynolds (5-11)
    Brooke (5-4)_______Russell (6-6)

Not certain if Ariel will be available for this game as she is being monitored for concussion symptoms. If she can’t go, it would be easy to slide LaShann into the starting lineup to help provide the firepower that Ariel brings. Other possibilities: start Audrey-Ann, slide Joyner to the three; start Khaléann at the three; go with experience and start Tasia. Lastly, if she has completed her own concussion protocol and is cleared to play, give Jada her first start. I think the first option is the most likely, but then, I don’t get paid to make those decisions.

The big question is whether Texas will play a zone defense or man to man. Tenn has had problems against zone defenses the last two years. But Texas does not normally play a lot of zone defense. Horns have played zone before and have practiced it, so it is certainly a possibility.

Russell will present a big challenge for the Horn posts but Kelsey has been playing at an outstanding level the last two games. If they both stay out of foul trouble, this could be the best game within a game show. The issue for Tenn is that they don’t substitute for Russell very much while Kelsey has a solid substitute in Audrey-Ann. Tenn has to be concerned about at least slowing down Brooke. Her ability to shoot the three, penetrate and finish and to find the open teammate makes it difficult to take something away.

Team Stats______________________Texas (2-4)_________Tenn (4-3)
    Scoring__________________________432_________________520
    PPG_____________________________72.0_________________74.3
    Scoring Margin_________________+8.2_________________+11.0
    FGs Made-Att___________________172-382______________188-457
    FG Ave/Game Made-Att_________28.7-63.7___________26.9-65.3
    FG%____________________________45.0_________________41.1%
    2pt Made-Att___________________143-299_____________147-338
    2pt FGs Ave/Game Made-Att___23.8-49.8____________21.0-48.3
    2pt FG%________________________47.8_________________43.5%
    3p FGs Made-Att_______________29-83________________41-119
    3pt Ave/Game Made-Att_______4.8-13.8______________5.9-17.0
    3pt FG%_______________________34.9__________________34.5%
    FTs Made-Att__________________59-92_________________103-144
    FT Ave/Game Made-Att________9.8-15.3_____________14.7-20.6
    FT %___________________________64.1__________________71.5%
    Rebounds_____________________239____________________333
    RPG___________________________39.8___________________47.6
    Reb Margin___________________+12.3__________________+7.6
    Assists________________________93_____________________106
    APG___________________________13.8__________________15.1
    Turnovers_____________________104____________________114
    TOPG_________________________17.3___________________16.3
    TO Margin____________________+0.3___________________-1.9
    A/TO Ratio____________________0.8____________________0.9
    Steals_________________________47_____________________53
    SPG___________________________7.8____________________7.6
    Blocks_________________________31____________________38
    BPG___________________________5.2___________________5.4
    Winning Streak_______________-0-______________________-0-
    Home Win Streak_____________-0-_____________________-0-
    Home Attendance____________12464__________________25301
    Attendance Ave/Game________3-4155________________3-8434

Score by quarters (ave)______1st______2nd_____3rd _____4th______Total
    Texas (2-4)____________________19.3____17.0_____21.2_____14.5_____72.0
    Tenn (4-3)_____________________17.1____20.3_____17.4_____19.4_____74.3

Horns have an advantage in making shots from all areas of the floor. Tenn is attempting 5 more FTs a game and making five more per game. For all the complaints of Tenn fans about a stagnant offensive, Tenn averages 1.3 assists per game more than Texas. Tenn grabs more rebs but Texas has bigger rebounding margin (+12.3 to +7.6). Tenn. Turnovers are advantage Tenn by one (16.3 topg Lady Vols to 17.3 topg Horns). Horns are trying to avoid a three game losing streak while Tenn is looking to recover from a 22 pt loss to Baylor. Tenn is down to nine active players while Texas is looking at two players that may be out for this game: Ariel who only played six minutes before suffering a head injury last Sunday and Jada who has missed the last two games. Tenn depends primarily on four players who play 30 plus minutes per game: DeShields, Russell, Nared and Reynolds. Texas will counter with a deep bench that, even with Ariel and Jada out, has good options at all positions. Add Jada into the mix and the F position gets even stronger. Jada is the most likely to play as she is further along than Ariel in the concussion protocol.

By the numbers, this should be a close and exciting game. Texas’ better shooting vs Tenn’s higher scoring. Can Russell and Nared hold off Texas’ abundance of post players? Can Texas guards get open looks against their taller counterparts from Tenn? Texas’ posts should be fresher as the game goes on. Will that translate into more points and rebounds? I have to think so.

Game time is at 3:30 PM CST this Sunday, Dec. 11, 2016 at the Frank Erwin Center. Fox Sports 1 (FS1) will carry the game. Radio will be provided by 105.3 FM.

From the Tenn Lady Vols site: Lady Vol Hoops Report (12/9/16)
    http://www.utsports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/120916aab.html
    From the Tenn Lady Vols site: LADY VOL HOOPS CENTRAL: at #17 Texas
    http://www.utsports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/120816aab.html

Link to the Vol Nation forum. Only free Lady Vol forum that I have found. They start early. They got a Tx vs Tenn game thread going 12/05/16, six days before the game. Very interesting reading about our matchup, about the state of Lady Vol BB, & other things.
    http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-lady-vols/269301-game-thread-lady-vols-texas.html

2. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Texassports.com pregame story:
    http://www.texassports.com/news/2016/12/10/no-17-womens-basketball-preview-tennessee-dec-11-2016.aspx

For students:
    For everyone:
    Climbing the career records list:
    AAS pregame story:
    http://www.hookem.com/story/karen-aston-texas-tennessee-measuring-stick-basketball-teams/

3. "Anna hook em"

"Anna hook em" 250+ Posts

I personally cant wait for the game im getting basketball withdrawl, i wonder if they will honor Coach Summit some how

4. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Ariel Atkins is out for today's game. That really hurts... others need to step up today or it may not be pretty. Let's go! :hookem2:

5. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

TX ahead 22 to 12 at the of the 1st. Both UTs trying to figure out who they are. TN can't buy a basket.

6. TagHorns

TagHorns 250+ Posts

First time getting to see the girls play in person. I can say I'm pleasantly surprised. I think we should have had a couple more wins behind our belt at this point, but given they are still trying to "mesh" it looks like it's falling together. Some really bright spots that we haven't seen play much this season is Sutton. I really like her! Higgs is still a fireball and when she reals it in a little she is phenomenal! Kelsi is looking like I wish she had last year. It's like it's all clicking. I like this team and am excited for tournament play. Have to say my favorite player has got to be HOLMES! She will be unstoppable in a couple of years! Oh and Brianna Turner!!!! She's scrappy! Well crud, okay love them all!

• Like Like x 2
  7. TagHorns

TagHorns 250+ Posts

That would be Brianna TAYLOR!!!!Oops!

8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Glad to get the win. Disappointed we squandered our big lead early, but the 'W' counts the same regardless of the margin of victory.

Having to overcome Atkins' absence, and then Audrey-Anne's injury to start the 3rd quarter, meant more adversity. Khaleann didn't see action today either.

Sutton is a joy to watch. Great ball handling, and she just glides around the floor as she tries to decide where to pass the ball. Surprised she started, but she looked so much better than any game prior. Not sure if she played in the second half, though. For sure not in the 4th quarter, IIRC.

Jada Underwood showed she can score and put the ball in the basket; we need that type of offensive-minded attitude on the floor. She as the size to guard different positions, as well.

Kelsey seems to play very well against Tennessee; glad to see her play with such confidence.

Higgs best attribute is penetrating and driving to the basket; we seemed to run some isolation plays for her today that allowed her to do just that. But, she also hit a 3 pointer.

Taylor did some very good things in the first quarter; she is a gritty player.

Holmes continues to improve; showed a variety of skills all over the court.

Offensive flow continues to get better. We seemed best with Sutton on the floor. Hope to get everyone healthy, but I'm not sure we'll be seeing Audrey-Anne back soon; hope I'm wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

There's no movement in our offense right now. Everyone is taking a spot and standing in it. Got to make yourself open, cut to the basket.

10. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Forgot I'm watching a tape. The stagnant offense was about 2 hours ago I guess.

11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, I don't like that. Seems like we give the ball to Joyner or Kelsey at the top of the key and expect them to distribute ball like a point guard even though none of the other 4 players are moving or cutting.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  12. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I've missed the last two games, SC and UConn, so it was interesting to see what I saw tonight in person. BTW, I felt in my gut they were going to beat a shorthanded Tennessee team, so it wasn't shocking to win. Perspective from the game:
    • In the first quarter and a half, Tennessee had one of those games where every shot just wouldn't go in, which resulted in a rebound and score by us. Wheee!!!
    • Team was really clicking for the first 1.5 quarters....and then....
    • Errors.
    • Again, Audrey was picking up quick penalties resulting in her sitting down
    • Joyner would be playing great, and then make a bad/silly pass or foul or shot and then Karen would yank her for some "coaching time"
    • Yes, Sutton looks good....but she's still a freshman and she'll eventually be great, but she wasn't doing her job well in a few runs and you could see Karen yelling at her and Brooke to switch roles
    • Brooke, steady and unyielding
    • Kelsey looks so, so, so much better than the first few games. Seems to have her confidence back and is willing to muscle her way around the rim
    • It was pretty scary with Audrey. No cry out like Nnekka a few years ago...but I don't know...But, I'm not a doctor
    • Lashann giveth and taketh equally.
    • Surprised to see Underwood playing prominently, but she seems to deliver
    • Hosey seems to be used for defense and not for offense
    • Still bad free throw shooting...who can fix that!?!

13. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

A much needed win for the team, agree that Sug makes a difference, even when her shot isn't falling. The 13 TO's were nice to see, just a couple more and the result might have been different. This game shows just how important taking care of the ball is for this team, and we actually got lucky on quite a few occasions. There were about 4 passes in a relatively short period of time in the first half that should have resulted in TO's, and we got (very) lucky on 3 of them. I was a bit disappointed in how we handled the 15 point lead early on, and allowed the Vols to get back in the game. I really love how Kelsey has played these past few contests, but she will continue to get better. One pass she took above the head, and the ball was just inches from the basket, with no one around. Inexplicably, she moved a few feet, and put the ball on the ground, and suddenly found herself with heavy coverage. After taking the ball high, all she had to do was literally just drop it in, but paused and gave up the easy basket. The folks around me went a little crazy when that happened. Overall the team continues to improve, and our talent level and depth is obvious. I hope Audrey is okay, and we definitely need Ariel back as soon as possible.

• Like Like x 2
  14. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

I wondered why Hosey didn't play in the first half, but then I noticed her right wrist/thumb was taped. I'm guessing that's why she was only in the game on defense, and to give rest to Joyner since Audrey wasn't available.

15. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Is there any information about Audrey injury?

16. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

I'm guessing we won't hear anything for a couple of days. Hope she's okay, but it didn't look good.

17. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Jordan has that heavy tape job on her right thumb. Tasia has the matching tape job on her left thumb. Coaches said that Audrey-Ann would have an MRI, probably tomorrow.

Looking at just our offense, not Tenn missing, I thought that first quarter and a half was probably our best offensive effort. Can't remember our fast break and offense flowing so easily. And then the wheels came off. But the team gutted it out and pulled out the win. Kelsey was two rebs short of a double double and did another great job inside. With more of our guards and wings hitting in the second half, we didn't go to her as much in the second half. Jada's 13 pts are the most I remember her scoring this season. Joyner was out of control a few times. I remember once when she penetrated, got the ball to Kelsey, and took out two Lady Vols like a blocker taking out two defenders. Unfortunately, they disallowed Kelsey's basket. That would have been a great assist. Our three frosh were very important in this getting this win. Really nice to see.

• Like Like x 2
  18. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I thought we might beat them more, but they were hitting a lot of shots. Brooke is playing at such a high level. Our half-court offense went completely dead in the third quarter. The not cutting to the basket and moving in the offense drives me crazy. Why don't we take a lesson from UConn? We need more accurate, confident outside shooters. Underwood is showing a lot of promise. It looks like she has a real shooting touch under the basket and in mid-range. I still don't have a good feel for what all Sutton can do. Though she started, doesn't seem like she got that many minutes. As others commented, Kelsey has been wonderful lately. I really hate that she's a senior. We need Ariel back badly, and I am very worried about Audrey-Anne. It's pretty great to beat Tennessee three years in a row. We will beat them again next year.

19. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

For the season, the team is not doing too hot from the FT line. But in this game,
    13-17 76.5%. I will take that every game. We got some good FT shooters in our frosh (Jada 3-4 & Joyner 4-5)and, for a change, our better FT shooters were the ones getting to the FT line in this game. Loved Jada hitting those two last FTs to seal the win.

• Like Like x 1
  20. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

not exactly the way they practice it. :lmao:

21. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Attendance: 4386. kinda of disappointing for a big game. But either my hearing aids had a lot of feedback or it was pretty noisy. Noticed what appeared to several groups of teens sitting together, too big to be just their basketball team. Guess those $3 GA tickets helped. More students than usual or than I usually notice any way. Hopefully, a number of those will continue to come back.

22. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Yes, this is what we're always screaming when Kelsey gets the ball next to the goal, "Don't dribble! Just shoot it! Just shoot it!!!!"

• Like Like x 1
  23. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Did Sutton play in the 2nd half? I was at the game and don't recall her playing in the 3rd &
    4th quarter. She looked very comfortable for her first start and playing the point position. I was very impressed with her poise and basketball IQ.

Sutton, Underwood and Holmes look really good for Freshman. If White can be an adequate replacement for Lang, we should be very good next year. I'm glad Aston is throwing them into the fire and they aren't backing down.

• Like Like x 2
  24. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

LutherIsmy...I know. So much depends on Jatarie White. I'm counting on Patterson to be bombing in threes and Rellah to be scoring like crazy.

• Like Like x 1
  25. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I believe Alecia started the 3rd quarter and played three minutes before going out. Don't recall her coming in again. But, really, this was the first game that she had played double digit minutes in back to back games. Before this, she had been playing double digit minutes then, in the next game, single digit minutes. Per that schedule, Tenn would have been single digit minutes for her but she played for 16 minutes instead.

26. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Thanks Babhorn. Maybe they held her out the remainder of the game due to her rehab and not wanting to place to much stress on her knee. I certainly don't think she was held out because of the quality of her game.

JoeDallas-you and I have the same basketball dream sequence with the addition of Patterson and Boothe.

27. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

Thought the team played really well albeit inconsistently. Must remember that Ariel did not play. The freshmen players are so cool and seemingly unaffected by it all. Where did this Kelsey come from? Maybe she was just being overshadowed by Imani previously but I wonder if Coach Tina may have a hand in her development. Hope Audrey-Anne does not have a serious injury but it didn't look good.

28. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Man it always bugs me when bigs do stuff like that.

29. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Think back to the beginning of her sophomore year when Imani was out recovering from leg surgery... this is where that Kelsey came from. In fact, it was her and Nneka who had a big games against the Tennessee front line that year.

• Like Like x 1
  30. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I thought the big change in her play was when Imani was held out the first 2-3 weeks of last year. There was no backup, no chance of inserting Imani in if Kelsey did poorly. She really blossomed and got confidence game-by-game. The thing was that earlier this year, she looked like she regressed to the beginning of last year. The last game, wow, she was back to her old confident self.