Baylor D looks horrible

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by BananaChipBettor, Sep 4, 2015.

1. BananaChipBettor

BananaChipBettor 100+ Posts

SMU is shredding their D.

2. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

14-14 track meet.

Mack doing the color, fwiw.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TxnByBirth

TxnByBirth 1,000+ Posts

That Davis kid for SMU is stout. I can't believe Mack never offered him a scholly ;-)

4. TxnByBirth

TxnByBirth 1,000+ Posts

And Texas Ex Van Malone is the d-coordinator for SMU.

• Like Like x 1
  5. LtSwtCrude

LtSwtCrude Guest

Baylor on offense looks better than TCU last night, but against a softer D.
    TCU played a better team I think (last night)... better/bigger players.
    Gonna be an interesting season for everybody.

6. Don56

Don56 < 25 Posts

The DBs on both teams are going to be worn out making tackles.

7. LtSwtCrude

LtSwtCrude Guest

Boy Baylor sure can tackle :rolleyes1:

8. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

First and goal from the three and run out of time. SMU could have gone to half with tie. I do not think they can hang with Baylor in the second half after that let down.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Anybody can struggle in game 1, but it's a bigger worry if the D looks crappy than if the offense looks crappy - offenses are supposed to be behind defenses at this point, in general.

They let way too much time run off between their 2nd and 3rd down play as well, screwing themselves out of a chip shot FG right before half.

10. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Big break for Baylor as Matt Davis is limping to the locker room.

11. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

If the qb for smu actually knew how to throw the ball They would be winning this game. But Im not impressed by Baylor or tcu I know it's only one game in but geez look who they are playing

12. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Before this season started I was telling friends I really don't see Baylor or TCU running away with the Big 12 like so many have anointed. Neither is a complete, dominating type squad without legit question marks that should result in a loss or two. The really good Texas and OU teams of the 2000's were a full level above.

Both will be good, but both will regress a bit from last year's potency. At the same time OU, OSU, and UT will take a step forward...each at a different pace. The top 2 spots of the conference will get a lot more interesting than most assumed.

There will be a surprise team in the late season mix for Big 12 top dog. Sure hope it's Texas, but have a feeling it's gonna be one of the Okie teams.

13. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Is that Frank Gifford in the AT&T commercials?

14. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I thought I might like Mack Brown better as a color commentator. I guess I am a victim of overexposure.

15. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Really, this game is like our game last year with Baylor. If you recall, Swoopes fumbled on the 1 after a 98 yard drive that would have tied it at the half. So, we were down 7 at half, and lost by 21.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Mack pointing out the importance of having 2 QB's ready for the long season....hmmmm?!?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I think Bennett actually made some nice adjustments as the game progressed. Morris made a bad call with that timeout a minute before halftime, and it all unraveled after that. SMU is plain bad on defense, particularly the back 7.

18. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I am interested to see how Baylor does against better team. They should enjoy the cream puff schedule. I hope every one in the B12 hands them their head.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

• Like Like x 5
  20. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

No question that TCU played a much, much better team. SMU was one of the worst teams in major college football last year, and no reason to expect them to be a whole lot better this year. Minnesota had a good season last year and is picked to do just as well this year.

• Like Like x 1
  21. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

FWIW; I was listening to ESPN sports radio last week, they were discussing the strength of schedule issue and the B12 situation. The guy they were speaking to was very close to the selection committee, can't remember is name, but he said that Briles believes that playing 3 lower tier (I heard that as cream puffs) teams, getting impressive 50 or 60 point wins and going undefeated in conference is the key to getting into the playoffs. His, Briles' that is, theory is to not play anyone that might be able to knock Baylor off or keep the score close, and risk not having an undefeated season. He added that, even if Baylor had gone undefeated in 2014, their sos was poor and the best they could have done was #5 and out of the playoffs anyway. He also said that all the B12 teams should schedule two P5 opponents every year to bolster the sos and if they have a loss to a "quality" opponent, they might still get in.

The conversation turned to the lack of a CCG which the consensus was that would definitely work best for the B12. I got to where I was going and didn't hear the rest.

Anyway, that is the mind set of His Royal Anus Art the Fart Briles.

22. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Funny, 10 years ago, USC and tOSU winning their conferences with no CCG was just fine. Now, it's a big deal the Big XII doesn't have one.

• Like Like x 2
  23. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Yep. But the times they are a-changin'.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  24. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

No doubt, and fans of conferences with a CCG will say it is superior until they have a 2001-esque Texas CCG loss to a POS team they throttled earlier in the season.

• Like Like x 2