Baylor Mind-Blowing

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Godz40acres, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

This Texas Monthly article is... I don't know what to say.

A much-talked-about football player at Baylor University—whom coaches “expect back” this fall—is currently on trial for the sexual assault of a fellow student. Questions now swirl around what the program knew and when they knew it.

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

:(

Respect for women is a really good core value.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Tip of the iceberg with old Briles and Drew. More stories like this are going to come out, much like when "The U" hadn't been to a bowl game in 13 years but then Schnellenberger appeared. People forget all about things like "background checks" when your team doesn't suck **** any longer.

It'll be colossal ******** if Ukwuachu stays on the team.

4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

We are talking about a school that:

1) Tried to conceal the murder of a basketball player

2) Did conceal their steroid abuse which was second only to Nebraska

3) Had a "pumped up" football player die, then cremated him before an autopsy could be performed.

4) For nearly 20 years had the worst cocaine/crack problem in its athletic department of any D-1 school in the country.

I'm Baptist and have been for longer than most on this board have been alive. At one of the largest Baptist churches in America, the frequent joke is, "Nothing is wrong, it's just not as right as we'd like for it to be". Long ago, Baylor adopted that as its motto. When you have a clueless school president, and a total dumbass for an AD, **** like that will happen. You have been warned.

• Like Like x 7
  5. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I guess God and Jesus have to take a back seat to His Royal Anus, Art the Fart Briles. Maybe they already left town...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Isn't there a higher moral code or standard that a religious school would like to adhere to, especially so in cases like this? I mean theoretically.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

"Jesus done left Waco, and he's bound for New Orleans..."

• Like Like x 3
  8. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

9. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Must of been pretty ripe!

10. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Sabre brought up some points I had forgotten about. Baylor just may be the up and coming next U - he warned us.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Anyone know what Warner said?

12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Joe,

This goes back well before Briles, he is just fine tuning the machine he inherited.

I went to grad school with a guy whose brother was a D-1 HC. When the Baylor job came open several years ago, the two of them called me to ask how much pull I had in Waco. I told them I knew a few people including three members of the board. The older told me he would crawl the 1000+ miles to Waco for the job. I told him to slowdown, that Robert Sloan's old college roommate was appointed AD, and what he knew about being an AD would roll around a thimble like a BB rolls around the Astrodome. He got the interview and called me right after saying he had never met a bigger dumbass in his life. The guy had no idea what he was doing, and the Southern Baptist Convention didn't have enough money to get him to take that job. He added that fifteen minutes into the interview he wanted to bolt.

That's ok because the guy they hired was a Baptist.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Trust me when I say this - there is nothing Baptist about Baylor, and hasn't been for over 30 years. What I mean by that is, Baylor is guided by biblical principles as much as Northern Atheist & Heretic University is. It's really sad to me.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

From WacoTrib.com
    UPDATE:
    Guilty verdict returned in Baylor football player’s sexual assault trial.

• Like Like x 1
  15. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Sorry, should have added some text to my post.
    He basically said it was a non-story, and he has no idea, "none, none!" why they are talking about Briles.

You can hear it here at around the 20:20 mark of hour 2 from todays podcast:
    http://www.podcastarena.com/ketch/

16. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Agree with some hesitation only because I don't like the trend of calling sexual assault a "respect for women" issue. Deciding to not rape people is different than and a lot less than deciding to actively respect people, but would still be a nice place to start when it comes to standards for athletes.

I was co-leading a service project in SE Texas a few years back with a guy who had played OL at Louisiana-Layfette or Tulane or some small school in the area. He grew up in Central Texas and had wanted to play for Baylor. We got to talking a bit about football and he was trying to be as nice as possible but still ended up basically saying Baylor is bunch of dicks and has way sleazier recruiting practices than any of the other schools he encountered. I said what about the kind of cynical idea that the whole thing is sleazy and nobody has much ethics, he basically said I can see where people get that point of view, but it's not true that every school is the same - some are better, some are worse, and Baylor was really really bad.

17. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Since he appears to have been convicted of sexual assault as opposed to aggravated sexual assault, he is capped at 20 years TDCJ. From the fragments of testimony I saw, I do not see punishment phase of the hearing going well since the prior bad acts at Boise become admissible...am guessing 15 with the Board of Pardons and Paroles ultimately getting about 10 out of him before he is subjected to his lifetime of registration as a sex offender.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

There's more about the pitiful internal investigation that Baylor conducted which was so bad the judge threw it out. It'll be interesting to see if the victim brings a suit against Baylor. Sentencing is set for Friday.

I like this from the article:

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  19. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

"And we know that, when asked about Ukwuachu by the Waco Tribune-Herald after news of the charges finally broke—more than a year after the initial indictment—Baylor head coach Art Briles told reporters, “I like the way we’ve handled it as a university, an athletic department, and a football program.”

Pretty much sums up my opinion of Art Briles. And Waco in general...

• Like Like x 5
  20. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Here's another little tid-bit for you:

He knew...brought him in anyway...

• Like Like x 1
  21. arieshorn

arieshorn 1,000+ Posts

I smell a civil lawsuit coming! I'd take Baylor and Briles to the bank.

• Like Like x 1
  22. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

A lot of people around here thought Briles would be a good replacement for Mack Brown. Strong looks better all the time to me.

• Like Like x 5
  23. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Briles would have kept Meander and Sanders on the team. Strong AND UT showed those two the door. This thing's going to get ugly for Baylor and Art the Fart.

I keep thinking some about Joe Pa when he said "I wish I had done more" as his career was ending and reputation was swirling down the toilet. Hope it goes the same for Briles and Baylor.

• Like Like x 4
  24. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I personally asked Mack Brown to hire Briles as QB coach when he was still at Stephenville. My primary problem was Briles' mentor was John Jenkins, about as classless a human as ever roamed a sideline.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

Briles is denying that Peterson mentioned the rapist in their phone conversation, per ESPN.
    I'd put money on Briles being the liar, not Peterson.

• Like Like x 3
  26. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Sad thing is I highly doubt BU does anything about it after it is proved that Boise did indeed inform them of this kids past. I can see the female students in protest now

• Like Like x 1
  27. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

An acquaintance of mine has a daughter considering Baylor next spring. She could go to UT but the family felt that "Baylor is a better option since it is a safe and wholesome, family values environment." I need to give him a call........

• Like Like x 3
  28. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  29. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

verdict on sentencing is in...waiting on announcement.

They were out about two hours or so...someone was probably pushing for probation.

EDIT: DAMMIT!!! They actually recommend probation. 8 TDCJ probated for a like term. That's crap...

• Like Like x 1
  30. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Kind of sends a message to future rape victims that it doesn't matter if you report your situation all the perp will get is probation.

• Like Like x 1