Baylor @ Texas 02/06/22

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by brnkj, Feb 5, 2022.

1. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Moore is great at using her body and counter moves. I would say over 85% of the shots Moore has blocked are when she is driving to the basket. When she is back to the basket it’s not happening as often because, she creates separation with her body and great with finishing with both hands. She’s just aggressive and not going to let you bully her in the paint and she will grab a rebound and challenge anyone.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Hunter is a far better offensive player than Harmon. Audrey gives you nothing at the three spot offensively. We have no clue offensively at the moment. We run the same set over and over. Get deep in the shot clock and have to jack up a bad shot... I have to wonder how much losing Johnnie Harris affected Vic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  3. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Thanks, I’m confused even more now how they said Audrey flopped after calling a charge? I’ve never disputed the fact she was in the arc so it was not a charge but the rest I just don’t get at all. All that happened before the shot

4. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Of all the prior staff that were let go I wish Vic would have kept Terry Nooner. His work with Charli between her sophomore and junior year speaks for itself. Makes you wonder what he could have done with Moore.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Not much to say. I thought we played well. We just couldn't make it happen. Someone referred to this as the worst Baylor team ever. Their record suggests that, but I'm not sure I agree. Nylissa Smith is one of the best women's basketball players I have ever seen. Everyone else has stellar credentials, Asbury all big-12 at OSU, Andrews highly rated, etc. I don't see how OU beat them twice. They must not always play as well as they did against us. JAT shot lights out. Tonight our main points came from her and Matharu. Matharu seems to feel pressure to bail out the offense when she comes in. We just don't have a lot of great shooters. Makes it harder to be a great basketball team.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I actually thought we had a lot of good looks in the second half; but, so many bricks put up from 2-4 feet by just about every one of our players.

We just haven't been good at all the last 3 games in making layups and short jumpers.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  7. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Being in the arc made the play reviewable. Then they saw it wasn’t a charge but instead, Audrey fouled and flopped. That’s one of the officials said. It was a first for me and I’ve never seen that.

8. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

I made mention last year that we were one of the worst shooting teams I've ever seen. We would have won 3-4 games by making half, just half the shots we missed. Unfortunately not much has changed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

I’m sure I’ll be crucified for saying this but today leaving the FEC I wondered if this is Karen Aston 2.0.
    Maybe it’s just the frustration of having a Baylor fan wave upside down Horns in my face and losing to Baylor for the 1,000th time in a row.

10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  11. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

I would say right now his way ain’t working.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Personally,I’d like to see what Harmon, Hunter and Matharu would look like on the floor at the same time. But only because what’s happening now isn’t generating enough baskets. OU is proving that defense doesn’t always win games.

That said,as difficult as these last three games have been to watch, I find it disappointing to see posts referring to our team (read players) as pathetic or doormats. We are talking about wonderful young women. Disappointment is one thing. Disdain is quite another.
    :confused2:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  13. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

In case you might be referring to my saying "pathetic," I was referring to our pathetic offensive performance as a team. It was not directed at any of the players... in fact it was more about the sets we were running (or weren't).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Thanks for your knowledgeable analysis. We have a couple of critic that make me wonder if they ever played or understand the game. I thought Vic had a great game plan and almost pulled it out. A quick check of the box score clearly show where we lost the game, at the FT line and 3 pt line. His game plan almost beat a team with better players. Our girls have him everything they had, it just was not quite good enough, accept that instead of blaming the coach or selective players.

• poop poop x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Regardless of how this one turned out today I think we’re about to find out alot about this team Wednesday night when they travel to Lubbock. This could be make or break game in front of a hostile crowd.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I stand corrected and appreciate your clarification. These losses really sting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

There are many times this year I feel like UT changed coaches to turn our programs around for Moody Center and all we've done is hire the white Shaka Smart for the men and the male Karen Aston. As far as the women's program, seeing highly offensive minded kids get recruited into this program and then watching the team struggle to put up 50 points definitely makes me say I think I've seen this film before...and I didn't like the ending.

I always thought our teams under Aston were incredibly low basketball IQ. No instinct or understanding of the game, it was always looking at the bench and wondering what they should be doing. Ebo's player falls down and she's standing alone in the paint...not a single guard even realizes it because they're out dribbling some weave pattern on the perimeter. Please don't even get me started on the fact we had their two best players in foul trouble and both played extended 2nd half minutes with 4 fouls and we 're out dribbling the ball on the perimeter letting their guards do the defending. A brilliant lack of adjustment to a situation you should have exploited for a win.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  18. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Yup. When Smith picked up her fourth foul we said kept asking why we weren’t driving at her.
    Instead we pass the ball around the perimeter until the shot clock nearly expires - also making a turnover more likely.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  19. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

I guess when you lose the #1 pick in the WNBA draft, and then (arguably) your next best offensive threat, you’re in for rough times.

But there are high expectations here (and there should be). At the end of the day, this doesn’t cut it. The results shouldn’t be surprising, but a big win in the tourney and a win at Stanford this year really created huge expectations. I trust you Vic, but you gotta do better here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

OFFENSE! OFFENSE! OFFENSE! Can we please hire a legit offensive coach to teach us some offensive schemes? Everyone knows how to defend our weave, dribble drive offense. And if they don't by the third qtr they do.

On a side note if his seniors are not doing what he has asked them to do, why is he playing them? Punish them like you punish everyone else.

BLOT I just want us to win. Time to right this ship Coach.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  21. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

He’s talking about one Senior.

He is very complimentary of the younger players and, in particular, the ones that played the second quarter.

He’s frustrated because they aren’t playing what he is asking them to play and aren’t taking the shots he wants them to take.

FYI - he was known for his offensive game at Miss State. Stop listening to the lame ESPN announcers who seem to think he only emphasizes defense.

In his eight years at Miss State, he made it to the final four twice - one year knocking off an incredible UConn team* - so maybe he knows what he is talking about.

*ruining their HBO doc

How Mississippi State morphed into a high-powered, NBA-style offense

• Like Like x 2
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I don't know who he's talking about when he indicates players taking shots in the game that they don't take in practice.

I don't know which senior he's talking about that refuses to do things the way Vic wants them to do; Audrey or Lauren? He praised Lauren at the end of the post-game conference. 10 days ago he was praising Audrey being a ripe tomato instead of a green tomato.

24. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

He compliments JAT and talks about how hard Ebo is working so I assume the senior is Warren. My gut tells me Matharu (3-13) is taking too many non-quality shots and most likely Moore (1-4) , Gaston (1-5) and Harmon (1-6) as well. It was good to hear him compliment Hunter and Holle.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Now I know why Danny Davis was confused.

I did not see Gaston taking odd shots, same for Moore and Harmon. Matharu might have taken a few off balance shots, but she is the only player we have who can take over a game offensively.

26. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Well, he sees something and he’s got the best view. I admit, it seems very confusing. I keep recalling the KSU game where we really did well with the dribble drive and the extra pass. That has not been there these last three games.

Matharu isn’t going to take over offensively without quality shots and 3-13 suggests just that.

From my seat behind the bench, I wold have sworn Hunter was in the doghouse, but he referred to her (Harmon and Holle) as fun and special and the future of our program.

It’s a head scratcher for sure.

27. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

28. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Warren was the only senior he didn’t compliment and she had the fewest minutes of the seniors tonight. But he has sung her praises in the past.

He references a quick sub in the opening of the third for lack of hustle. The quick sub was Moore but I didn’t see a lack of hustle.

Perplexing for sure.

29. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I agree... And what stings the most for me is that both OU and Baylor have beaten us and did so with lackluster performances of their own outside of one player. I'm beyond frustrated.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  30. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Okay, so you've got the coach saying a senior is doing her own thing, and the young uns are doing their own things, and some folks still don't know the play book, and apparently no one except JAT is in the gym practicing shots. WTF? Expectations lowered exponentially.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1