Baylor @ Texas - Game Thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Statalyzer, Oct 13, 2018.

1. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Gary Johnson with 11 tackles and 1.0 sack :hookem:

• Like Like x 8
  2. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

No, not after that game. Besides 2 lost to an sec 13 so The 13 will just move up to 4 or 5 since at least two sec teams must be in the top 5

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

The good.....6-1 & still control our destiny
    The bad....our opponents are a collective 23-20
    The ugly....our offense

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Of course Shane nor CJ can be huge without each other.
    Same for Shane and LJH except Lil'J also plays wildcat and takes snaps.

5. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Man UT didn’t waste anytime sending out that email for big 12 championship and bowl game tickets request lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Like everyone, I’m glad we dodged a bullet. But even with Ehlinger out, I was still disappointed with the offensive output. We have too many weapons to be sputtering to a 14 point effort against a very weak defensive opponent, and the excuse that it was Shane’s first action doesn’t really explain the lack of output.

Our offense seems to be schemed around a running QB that can pass, and that’s fine. But when our running QB goes down — a not unexpected occurance over a long season — we should be able to adjust. We just didn’t seem to do that very well today against an overmatched opponent.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Gawd, let's not jinx it and get ahead of ourselves here... Del Conte are u listening?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Too late Texas sports login access crashed the kool aid has been drunk

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  9. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Shane will have improved timing and better defensive reads, if he has to play next game.

The game was a one possession game because Dicker choked. Hate to say that but he did. He is a freshman and he should improve as the season progresses. I was surprised he missed both. Should not happen. Hopefully he gets on track before the next game.

Defense played well enough to win, and we did. Offense played well enough to win in the first half and it carried us in the second half when Beck and TH were ultra conservative.

Congratulations on a very tough defensive performance.

And congrats to Shane for leading the offense to a victory, & throwing a nice TD to CJ & playing well enough to win.

Hope Sam is back-- but if not our O has to be more unpredictable and add more creative running plays.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  10. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Anyone have a link to the post game presser?

11. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Herman was saying that they think it was just an AC joint sprain and Sam will be back to throwing by the end of the week. However, they are having an MRI on Sam just to be sure.

• Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  12. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Bottom line to me is they brought consistent pressure, we couldn't. That and we could NOT run the ball when we needed against the worst run defense in the B12. Sound familiar. But man oh man, hob great is being 6-1!!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Good point^^. Don't you think we need more variety in the run game: Jet sweep, reverse, fullback lead blocking occasionally; using Ingram's speed to get to the edge quickly from various looks, pull linemen to load the edge, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

The issue with this team when Sam isn't QB is that when we get ahead and it's obvious to everyone that Tom wants to shorten the game and pound the ball, there's just not a lot of variety in the run game. We keep it pretty simple. And this line is still not to that place where they can just tell everyone we're running our back off-tackle and you can't stop us.

I do think he "kept his powder dry" in this game. It was a VERY vanilla plan, and I think it's probably because he overestimated how much his o-line has progressed. On the best drive of the second half, he finally got that and went to the safe passes and screens to open things up, and we started moving the ball. When we got a little impatient, that's when things bogged down.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

We are bowl eligible in the first half of October!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Early line against BYE has it as a pick-em...BYE is tough. They have NEVER lost against a team coming off of a win.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I have some concerns.....BYE was idle last week... so they have had 2 weeks to prepare for the Horns!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Another thing this broadcast made clear is that, given all the QBs we have run through our program over the last several decades, we have an almost uncountable amount of FOX Sports broadcasts to look forward to leaving us to explain why we did not offer their child a scholarship.

I cant wait until we dont offer the children of Chris Simms and Major Applewhite. Just think of that battle. Fun times.

Not to mention, the children of Shannon Kelley, James Brown, Mark Murdock, Brett Stafford, Matt Nordgren, Sherrod Harris, Jimmy Saxton, Tyrone Swoopes, Greg Cicero, Rick McIvor, Peter Gardere, Jevon Snead, David Ash, Gilbert Grape, Shea Morenz, Richard Walton, Trey Holtz, Marty Cherry (the fashion police will be particularly critical on this miss), Adam Dunn (we will force this kid to play MLB ball, against his will), Chance Mock (we will force this kid into medical school), Vince Young (we wont offer despite years of training under Jeff "the FootKing" Fisher) and last the 18 McCoy children who will, by law, each be paired with a child from a Shipley, who we will not offer as a pair.

• Funny x 4
    • Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
    • WTF? x 1
    • Hot x 1
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  19. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Not to brag.......................but I'll brag.

Forget them. Herman better offer LC Jr, soon!

Off to a 5-0 start as they go for their 4th straight Super Bowl. Jr has 15 TDs with only 2 of them less than 40 yards. :yes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hot Hot x 2
  20. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

He’s the Real Deal

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Can he play safety?
    Asking for a friend
    Who is an ex-coach

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Through 7 Games, Lil’Jordan Humphrey and Collin Johnson have combined for 83 catches, 1,139 & 10 TD’s

• Like Like x 3
  23. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Yeah that was a great tweet!

24. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Actually, they moved him to safety from corner this year.

Has a lot to learn, but he is a missile! Two ints, one a pick 6.

But I don't like to brag.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Ian Boyd questions Wheeler's productivity --

Omenihu has 21 tackles, 8 TFL, and 6 sacks on the year.
    Hager has 14 tackles, 4 TFL, and 1 sack.
    Nelson 20 tackles, 4 TFL, no sacks.
    Anthony Wheeler's 37 tackles and 3 TFL are pretty damning in light of the play of the guys in front of him.

26. ProdigalHorn

I've about decided to dump Orangebloods for them. They seem to do more in-depth analysis, more frequently, and with fewer typos and less horrible writing. Thoughts?

27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I like his Xs and Os stuff

28. ProdigalHorn

I don't really see the point in subscribing to a fan site for anything but that. We get plenty of insightful commentary here, and reading some guy tell me why he thinks Shane or Sam is the future of the program really doesn't do much for me.

Plus, bad writing is just painful for me to read, and I'm getting tired of reading stuff like:

"Yes," Herman said when asked whether he thought the team was playing up to their potential despite the loss of three starters along the line, which seems to have hampered the team's running game.

Or something like:

Herman said he thinks the team has turned a corner in dealing with adversity.

"I think this team has turned a corner in dealing with adversity," Herman said.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1