Baylor

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by centexorange, Jan 20, 2008.

1. centexorange

centexorange 1,000+ Posts

3-0 whats going on??

2. bluto

bluto 500+ Posts

they've been a team on the rise since Drew showed up. no need for surprise really, hes getting talent to go along with their balls out intensity now.

3. centexorange

centexorange 1,000+ Posts

they've been a team on the rise since Drew showed up. no need for surprise really, hes getting talent to go along with their balls out intensity now
    Yeah i agree im very much impressed with this gentleman..

4. UTmainman

UTmainman 100+ Posts

Well they are on the rise, but not ever since he showed up. He's been the coach ever since Bliss.

5. EJC+1

EJC+1 250+ Posts

Great guard play but only a so-so inside game.

Texas matches up well with them, and they should be great games.

6. Baylor is a good team but they can be had on the road. We had em beat yesterday and pissed the game away because we couldn't hit a free throw. 21 for 34 at the line and we lost by two.

7. halfcreek

halfcreek < 25 Posts

Eh. One game does not a team make. Let's not forget they beat you guys despite themselves. They turned it over 20+ times and still won on the road. If you're Baylor that's a huge encouragement that you can play that badly and still pull together and win.

They've played some solid teams in non-conference, and beat South Carolina at home after being down huge.

The Nebraska game was an anomoly, and I do not think we much up well with them. They are ridiculously deep at the guard position, and if that Rogers kid goes off there's no team other than Kansas that will be able to hang with them.

8. Loud Sirens

Loud Sirens < 25 Posts

Baylor is good, but they will have their troubles.

9. baylorbear245

baylorbear245 100+ Posts

being at the wash. state game here in waco and seeing us play that well against an extremely talented wazzu team really proved to me that this program is on the rise. i look forward to the games vs texas and aggy. i just hope we can keep up with and slow down augustine and contain atchley as well. hell of a comeback against colorado [​IMG]

10. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer 500+ Posts

Given their results on the court, they really should be ranked in the top-20. They ALMOST beat Wazzou. If they had won that one, they should have been top-10. The question is: How many more wins do they need to make the NCAA tourney? I think they have to get to at least 9-7 and win one in the Big 12 tourney.

11. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

Lazy,

I think we need to go 9-7 also, but if we go 8-8 with the "right" kinda wins, we might get in also.

Mainly we just need to keep improving. Next year we return everyone and bring in a legit wing player, could be a legit top 15 team next year.

12. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Let's give credit where it is due. Given the state of the Baylor basketball program when Drew arrived, he has done a marvelous job to reinstitute the program and get the team to a level where they are competitive. And apparently he's doing it with class - a very nice change from the prior state of affairs.

HHD [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Crawfoso

Crawfoso < 25 Posts

The talent has been in place but Baylor is finally beginning to overcome some physchological hurdles, figuring out how to close out games and (maybe) starting to learn how to win on the road. Keep in mind when Jerrells, Dugat, Rogers and company came to Baylor they came to a roster of scrubs devastated by NCAA sanctions, no preconference schedule and a program mired in a losing culture. Those guys had to figure it out from scratch and began to turn the corner last year when they started to compete with some of the big boys, i.e. losing to UT 3 times by a combined 11 points. The opportunity to go 9-7 or better is there given the parity we're seeing in the league this year.

14. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

15. ballrific

ballrific 500+ Posts

word. I also went and saw the scrubs they beat but they are on the rise. Heck, I can't say anything, we barely beat a colorado team by 2 that got blown out by 20 at a&m.

16. 4realhorn

4realhorn 500+ Posts

17. Stormspencer

Stormspencer 100+ Posts

Bob is right. If Baylor is going to be a tournament team, they should be 3-0 right now. The win at UNL was a good step forward for them in making their case. But they only have one win over a top 100 RPI team at this point (Notre Dame) and have lost their only other two game against top 100 RPI competition (Wazzu-18, Ark-40). They still need more quality wins to solidify their argument...and they will have plenty of opportunities.

At this point, Kansas is by far the best (duh!) and I think Texas and K-State will wind up battling for 2nd. Then you have Baylor, A*M, and possibly OU (if Griffin gets healthy sooner rather than later). I also think Mizzou has the talent to make some noise before it is all said and done.

18. baylorbear245

baylorbear245 100+ Posts

#25 in the AP poll [​IMG]

19. KosherHorn

KosherHorn 250+ Posts

20. oSuJeff97

oSuJeff97 25+ Posts

In reply to:

21. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

22. Bob in Houston

Larry, you can't fool me with transitivity when I watched the second half against Arkansas.

The Hogs worked hard to give Baylor every chance in the world to win, and the tired BU guards treated the arc like it was a force field. Drive the ball once in a while!

23. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

Bob,

Ark got hot behind the 3 themselves and won. I don't think our guards were tired, I mean, why would they be? CJ just played poorly, and has since then, actually.

We shoot 40% behind the arc on the season, its hard to ***** about taking that shot for our team. I know it can be frustrating to watch, heck I get mad, but in the bigger picture, its who we are.

when our guards drive and dish, our big men either turn it over or get fouled and go to the line for maybe 1 of 2 ft's. now, getting fouls on the other teams bigs is good, but sometimes we need points and our guards are generally our scorers and they have to take 3 pointers when they are open.

Bob,

another point, Gary Johnson is playing his first games, in conference. Kinda like the whole Baylor team not too long ago when you were telling us we were lost and not coached. Johnson is probably higher regarded than any BU player prior to Dunn, yet you can see his transition is difficult.

Drew has overcome a lot, more than I think people can imagine.

24. Bob in Houston

25. baylorbrad

baylorbrad < 25 Posts

The real BU will have to stand up over the next 5 games:

at poor aggy,

vs. OU,

at TX,

vs. Tech,

at KU.

They come out of that with any kind of a winning record, and the Bears are for real.

Sic em.