BBall Program Needs New Direction

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Bevo1970, Feb 16, 2015.

1. anon

anon 25+ Posts

What I want to know from all of the many hatchet men, to whom at The University with any authority to hire and fire coaches are you getting your "must-win" information? Or is this the annual pick-a-coach to harass and follow the fickle media that likes controversy as click bait?

2. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

Anon, where are you seeing someone quote "inside information" from people inside the program? The viewpoints you're referencing are from John Q. Longhorn - loyal fans to this institution that want/expect better from their team. Are you happy with the current status of the program? You cool with consistently underachieving and blaming someone/something else?

And Htown77, I can't figure out if you're counter-acting these viewpoints or throwing gas on the fire?? You listed all the talent that Barnes has put into the NBA. That is a double-edged sword as it is a reminder of just how little he did with so much talent. And your point would mean more if these guys were drafted solely because of what they accomplished while playing for us, rather than what their potential is (see Cory Joseph). You blame the atmosphere as the reason no one wants to come here - might it be time to change the attitude/culture/environment? And where should that start??

3. anon

anon 25+ Posts

So, then, "must-win' has no real consequences from anyone authoritative, contrary to its implication.

It just means that you will rant more in your Monday-morning QB'g.

That's what this kind of forum is for - allow venting among those with nothing better to do, regardless of the consequences.

4. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

We've already had this discussion on this thread!

I think it needs to start with the structural problems, because until those are fixed, EVERY coach going to have a hard time! I already said somewhere else, it would be nice to see how Barnes could recruit WITHOUT the structural problems that have been here his entire tenure that he had no control over.

5. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

Htown, I agree with you that we need a change in the arena and I'd love to see a lower bowl filled with students and a "club level" for the season ticket-holders. Hopefully, that will be addressed in the new arena.

But let's not kid ourselves into thinking this has anything to do with the absolute implosion that Barnes has had this year. With the players he has, he should be able to play games in a funeral home and have better results that what he's had. It doesn't matter how many trivial facts you reference or how many commas Anon puts in a sentence . . . my opinion is that it is time to move on from Barnes and I'm hopeful that we can land someone worthy of our school. The 1st phone call I'd make would be to Shaka Smart.

6. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Do not like engaging in this because it is too early and pointless if Barnes actually does make the Sweet 16, however I am forced to reply because you are the first person to actually name a good candidate.

I agree that if a change occurs, Shaka Smart should certainly be in the running and a top candidate. The other candidates named in this thread and others tend to be people that are either unrealistic or I looked at and said "is this person really better than Barnes?" I give you full credit/props for naming a worthy candidate. (I tire of "just anybody can do better" arguments used by others because that is false.)

While Smart might be a viable alternative, again, still too premature to have this discussion. If we make the Sweet 16, possibly even the round of 32 (I do not know what Patterson is thinking) this discussion may be pointless. If we get bounced from the play in game or the first round , we'll probably be having it anyway.

7. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Awesome, I referenced seven years and you revert back to yesterday. Hell, this thread alone goes back a few games yet you think everything is about yesterday. You should read an entire thread before accusing anyone here of knee jerking about one loss.

If you've really watched multiple years then comprehension of this thread should come easy. It's either time for Barnes to go or we can't get any better. Next year will not be any better with the talent leaving and apparently no one left to pick up the torch and run......that's on Rick.

8. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

So are you saying you will never change coaches as long a Patterson is here? I don't get what you mean. Patterson chose Charlie Strong, and I am ok with him. I think the hiring committee, whoever they are, will make the decision now or 10 years from now. Either way, I think its time for a change. My confidence in Barnes is at an all time low. His managing of the ISU game was a lesson in failure. That second half, when he took the air out of the ball, and then the last 20 seconds, eschewing the time out, was shockingly bad.

9. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

First, no better coach than Mack was out there, and now there is no better coach than Barnes out there.
    I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone, but boy do I find these discussions interesting.

10. LikeMike

LikeMike 500+ Posts

Most everyone loved Mack and what he did for UT. We all appreciate what Barnes has done. But, the basketball team had not progressed for over 5 years! I'm ready to take a chance on new blood.

As was noted above, Patteson picked Strong. He can find a top level coach.

11. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Well... we've come full circle back to the mack and rick talk :rolleyes1:

• Like Like x 1
  12. hornarama

hornarama 100+ Posts

Let me quote myself from an earlier post "We are in the bottom half of our conference and until the tourney occurs and we see how the Big 12 schools do in the tourney we don't even know how much was due to good competition."

After Baylor and ISU lose, then we lose, it supports the thesis that the Big12 was over rated and we didn't belong in the tourney. We didn't earn our way in but got put in with "good losses". I was hoping we were going to finally play one game of crisp focused basketball, but it was more of the same ..."Barnes ball" very painful to watch. At some point, you are "how you play" not how "you could play if only..."

I've got enough interest in horns basketball to be posting on this board, and I supported Barnes for many years, but it is time for "NEW DIRECTION"

13. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

hopefully you bet for the worst. not sure what the first half line was though. :whiteflag:

14. hornarama

hornarama 100+ Posts

I never bet against the horns, but I do abstain from betting for them.