Beard arrested?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by BALL IS LIFE, Dec 12, 2022.

1. OrangeClad

OrangeClad 250+ Posts

Maybe. I don't know. I guess I think judgement should be held off until the facts are all in.

2. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Sure, but that isn't what I was asking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. OrangeClad

OrangeClad 250+ Posts

"...the behavior he knows he engaged in,...."

Now, that's a pretty arrogant choice of words. Who is the mind-reader in the group? There apparently were no witnesses, video, nor audio evidence and both parties involved say he did nothing wrong. So, we can assume, if we choose to, that he is a terrible guy who did terrible things that night, but we would have no basis to declare these assumptions and personal narratives as factual and we certainly should not use our assumptions to publicly assign guilt to somebody. I would have more respect for UT brass if they admitted nobody other than the two parties really knows what happened that night, but the incident has caused such a public stain on The University they have no choice but to make a change, regardless of guilt or innocence.

I have been in a number of relationships with some very unstable individuals. Anyone who has been would never, ever believe there was no way Beard is innocent. It is very possible. They should have done the right thing and bought him out. Unless some real evidence arises, they will only avoid major consequence by hiding behind the immunity statutes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

This has been my beef as well but apparently the standard is to walk away and definitively declare you never touched your spouse/partner/family member.

5. OrangeClad

OrangeClad 250+ Posts

I woul
    I wouldn't, but I can only answer for myself. I others answered, "yes", would that make a difference.

6. horninchicago

I'm not sure what you are trying to get at here.

7. horninchicago

It makes no difference to me. I think the point is clear that while someone like you is fairly neutral and level headed, apparently, most will be hypocrites when it comes to their coach vs another coach.

8. OrangeClad

OrangeClad 250+ Posts

Yeah, I would think it probably is the standard and happens all the time that way. That said, I don't think it's reasonable to judge and punish individuals with individual circumstances based upon what people "usually" do. In this case, maybe you still do to preserve the reputation of The University, but you graciously negotiate the exit terms and you certainly don't claim to be telepathic and know "what really happened" while doing so in order to save face and be able to claim it was done for substantiated cause, when it wasn't. If you want to be classy and terminate to save The University embarrassment, you shouldn't play underhanded games to save a few bucks while besmirching the individual you are exiting. Plus, calling him a liar and a wife abuser, as that quote by The University basically does, now forces Beard to try and sue them to clear his name. They left him no dignified out and if he wants to work again, he must try and clear his name and prove he was unjustly terminated.

Speaking of which, I'm struggling with the immunity protection issue. These public schools sign contracts promising to perform in certain ways and obliging themselves. I can see an understandable intent for negligence protection in the statute and I can see value in not having to defend thousands of lawsuits, but protection from consequences for one's own willful misconduct does not seem like a reasonable standard.

9. OrangeClad

OrangeClad 250+ Posts

No doubt. Agreed.

10. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

The other thing that I have seen with corporate life is the over reliance on email and other evidence to prove a case, whether in corporate lawsuits or terminating someone’s employment. It’s why Trump doesn’t do email. Beard could have told a half dozen coworkers he was going to slap that ***** silly one day, and nothing would have happened to him. But one bruise or scratch, it’s the death penalty.

11. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

We know a lot about a little though. Terry's ability to succeed has been limited I think, to his ability to recruit to and coach the players he inherited where he HC'd. Fresno State and UTEP? Those are **** basketball programs.

I'd give Terry more credit for the success he's had as an assistant (9 years under Barnes at Texas and 4 years under Wainwright at UNCW) and chalk his mediocre performance as an HC to location and timing. I think he is a good coach - let's give him a chance with a real squad and see what he can do. I'm betting he surprises some of us. (hoping KState was an outlier, with all things considered).

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

I think we could say the same thing about dozens of coaches. If you gave Terry the 96 Bulls Im certain he would win a lot of games too. Some people are better as assistants and that's totally ok. Terrys track doesnt show him being a great head coach, regardless of where he previously coached.

13. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Kevin Ollie has entered the chat.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Where is he now anyway? I seem to recall he had a few good years but ultimately couldn't keep it up. If the point is that there are always exceptions, that is correct. Id rather not play those odds given the 10 year track record we have. Again, hes a good coach, but he wasn't able to beat like competition at the schools he coached at and I dont think hes as good a recruiter. Also Texas basketball and UConn basketball are not equal.

15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

He said an upcoming hearing to assess whether he violated university policy is "ridiculously flawed and not designed to arrive at the truth."

Wow, where have we seen this before?

16. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Where does it end? Eliminate relationships with all women who are on the crazy-side?

Tucker adamantly denied claims that he sexually harassed Brenda Tracy, a sexual assault awareness speaker, in a statement Monday and called an upcoming hearing about the claims "a sham."

Tucker, in a statement issued Monday through his attorney Jennifer Belveal, said he developed an "intimate, adult relationship" with Tracy and that her claims that he harassed her are "completely false." He said an upcoming hearing to assess whether he violated university policy is "ridiculously flawed and not designed to arrive at the truth."

17. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

The trial? What trial? Yeah, it never happened.

18. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

We'll be seeing Coach Beard on the regular starting next year. I wish him well (when not playing us) & hope he develops better taste for picking g-friends going forward.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Without any inside knowledge, taking a 100% certainty side in either direction in the Beard case is a bit weird. Taking Tucker's side with such "clearly it's just a crazy broad" conviction is even odder.

At the very best, he's a moron for starting a relationship with someone he had authority over to some degree - yes, more of a vendor than an employee, but he wielded strong influence over whether or not she was working with his company. Doing that with anyone whose status as a contractor / partner he had influence over was dumb enough; doing that with someone who he brought in to teach his team about sexual harassment was just full-blown dumbassitude.

And then trying to imply that it was a violation of his rights due to his medical condition to turn the firing into paid leave. Oh, and doing this at a school that's still in the shadow of how much they let Nassar get away with? Being as generous to him as I can, he's a friggin idiot who nonetheless might not be an abuser or harasser, just like many other idiots aren't.

• Hot Hot x 1
  20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

If you are going to fire coaches for being idiots, if I was an agent I would request 50% of the contract value paid up front.

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

:msu:

"In his statements to the Title IX investigator, Tucker acknowledged masturbating on the call :confused::confused::confused::confused: but said Tracy grossly mischaracterized the episode. According to him, they had consensual “phone sex.”"
    :tap:

Tucker: "I am not proud of my judgment and I am having difficulty forgiving myself for getting into this situation, but I did not engage in misconduct by any definition." :rolleyes1::rolleyes1::rolleyes1::rolleyes1:

Mel Tucker Should Be Fired! Regardless Of What Investigation Finds

Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
  22. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Hmmmmmm, lets see...

A well known feminist anti-sexual harassment consultant comes into your organization in a highly-charged environment. Say genius: perhaps you shouldn't start beating your meat on the phone with her, making her very uncomfortable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

24. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

When you are getting 9m a year, hire a hooker to help you on an hourly basis if needed but this is just dumb!

• Funny Funny x 1