Beating Baylor - Big 12 Tournament Championship

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by texexted, Mar 5, 2018.

1. texfiter

texfiter 100+ Posts

I like Karen fighting for her team. I have no problems with that technical. I DO have problems with the little missed opportunities all the way through the game --Joyner Holmes and missed free throws, opportunity to go up by 2 and a double dribble from Atkins, etc. It's as if when they play Baylor they're overthinking rather than playing. Plenty of opportunities all the way through.

• Like Like x 6
  2. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

The refs definitely gave this game to Baylor. Does anyone know what the technical was about? Announcers said it was on Aston. That would be an irony. They give the coach with poise and self-control the technical, and the coach who has probably deserved technicals in half her games doesn't get one. Her comments at halftime were classic poor sportsmanship, completely typical of her.

Our shooting wasn't very good, except for Jatarie and Lashann, who were both great. What is it going to take for Joyner to learn to shoot? Too bad, all that athleticism, yet shooting is such a problem.

• Like Like x 3
  3. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

A game that close and the refs call a technical against our bench. Were they blind to Mulkey and Cox all night? And someone should give Brown an Oscar. BS. Utter BS. That technical was a game changer and on top of it, Cox took a swing at our player. No call.

I hope our girls take that anger and go on a holy terror in the big dance.

• Like Like x 7
  4. geewago

geewago 100+ Posts

Texas is good enough to make a final 4. Just keep playing hard and buckle down.

• Like Like x 4
  5. cactus47

cactus47 25+ Posts

I'm so tired of Joyner just flinging the ball at the basket instead of taking a bit of time to actually turn her head toward the basket and see where she wants to put the ball. It's as though she's hoping to get fouled instead of making a basket.

• Like Like x 3
  6. texfiter

texfiter 100+ Posts

Great point.

• Like Like x 1
  7. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

KM is psychotic. As I was ready to go on a diatribe about how awful she is and how she reaps what she's sown she goes and does a 180 and is very humble and complimentary in her post game. I literally don't get it.

As far as that technical, KA will look back and realize there is a fine line between fighting for your team and fighting against them. I think I am one of the most vocal proponents of coaches fighting for their team so I am not all that upset about it, just wish time and score was a little bit different.

• Like Like x 2
  8. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Texas is a good team but doesn’t have anything that they can consistently hang their hats on if they’re not shooting the ball well. I think a lot will be dependent on who they play. As I said before they could get to a final four or lose in the early rounds.

• Like Like x 1
  9. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Well, that just hurt. Alexis Morris is likely to be a thorn in the Longhorns' side for the next three years. Ranked #20 in the 2017 class by ESPN Hoopgurlz. Oops, I think you missed on that one Mr. Olson! I do not think there are 19 better freshmen in the nation this year. But Lauren Cox was the MVP tonight . So, it is in the past now! Time to rest up a bit and get ready for the NCAA tournament.

• Like Like x 2
  10. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

I do however wish coach would actually say something to KM and tell her to knock it off. If we ever get rid of KA, and Joni Taylor or Nikki Vargas aren't available, then I def want Jeff Walz. In the post game handshake line yesterday he gave Muffet a piece of his mind for not addressing Asia Durr by her name in the prior days presser. I can only imagine what 'd be able to do against the wicked witch of Waco whom he disdains. I pray they're in the same bracket.

11. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Who can be a good team without hanging their hats on shooting the ball well?? That's a huge part of the game, right??

• Like Like x 1
  12. texfiter

texfiter 100+ Posts

I'd argue -- which I did earlier -- that we had opportunities before that technical to be ahead ... and we fumbled them away .. the thing that comes to mind was Atkins and an untimely doubledribble. I also checked the box score and what I thought was true was -- Homes was a woeful 3-8 from the freethrow line and finished with only five points. Add that to Texas' score prior to the technical and it's a different game.

• Like Like x 2
  13. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

It’s a big part but a lot of very good defensive teams like Baylor can hang their hat on defense if shots aren’t falling. Part of that is because they have a rim protector in Cox. Audrey-Ann was really the only decent rim protector on the team. Sedona Prince is going to be a difference maker right off the bat next year as a rim protector.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  14. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Prince will take two years, unfortunately. Brown was a statue (sorta still is) her freshman year. Cox was bewildered and muscled out by our bigs last year. So while I hope Sedona is who I hope she'll become, it's going to take 2 years.

• Like Like x 2
  15. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I had to listen to the game on the radio via Craig and Fran. My thought was that I can see Baylor once again failing in the Elite Eight. Her bench isn't deep enough AND she'll be ref'ed by a non-Big 12 crew that isn't cowering in fear of her.

• Like Like x 3
  16. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

She may be two years away in terms of being a very good overall player but she’s going to make an immediate impact defensively has a rim protector. She’s going to block and alter a lot of shots.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I was so proud of the class our Coach and team showed tonight. Refs should never decide outcome of a championship game. Wish some booster or administrator tell Coach to speak your mind to the press..."we got you covered". I'm so proud Coach Karen Aston is our coach.

• Like Like x 9
  18. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

IMO a lot has to do with matchups. But there’s not a front court in the country that can match their size and physicality. I think because of the loss of Wallace the question will be whether or not Morris can play like she did today in the tournament.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

Face facts. Baylor is the better team. They beat us tonight with a short bench and without Kristy Wallace. Pretty heroic team performance. Mulkey might be utterly obnoxious and the refs might have been unfair, but, face facts, we were not good enough to win in three tries. Our stars could not pull it out; their's could. Their freshmen played far better than our's. That's it. Period.

A word on Joyner Holmes. People expected the normal leap from freshman to sophomore in skill and ability. When she returned to the team, people thought,that addition would put us over the top. That has not happened. Certainly her long suspension didn't help. However, developing a shot is largely the responsibility of the player. Coaches can help, but they cannot themselves turn a player into a great shooter. Joyner has not even been adequate offensively, let alone a star. If she ever acquires a an outside jumper, and if she would develop disciplined moves around the basket, she would be a star. Frankly, it's up to her.

• Like Like x 3
  20. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

You may be right on Sedona but I’m a bit more optimistic. She’s shown more agility than either Cox or Brown at the same stage and works like a demon on her game. I would not be surprised at all if she isn’t giving Cox all kinds of problems when she’s a senior and playing center (no one else they have really fills that bill) and Sedona’s a sophomore.

• Like Like x 1
  21. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  22. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Does anyone on here know what Aston said or did to get a technical? I'm still a bit mystified. I don't completely agree with Dr. D. Weren't we only slightly behind when we got the T? It could have gone either way up until all those free points, even though we hadn't played our best basketball. Dr. D, are you really calling Baylor's performance heroic? Isn't that a little strong? They were good, as they always are, but luck had a lot to do with the outcome. Namely, the weird twist of fate of Aston getting the technical, when the perennial bad sport who pushes every boundary was sitting (standing) on the other end of the court. It's no surprise to me that Morris is just as good as Wallace. I think a lot of people have known that for awhile.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Immediately following the game, Craig Way asked Coach A about the technical foul, and she responded with "I take full responsibility for that". He asked her a second time, and she gave the same exact answer.

• Like Like x 4
  24. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

Forgive me the sports writing terminology. Maybe "gutty" "brave" "tough minded" would have been better. However, if Texas had lost a player as key as Wallace, and then won the game anyway, we would all be throwing words like that around. Baylor suffered a potentially crippling loss. Everyone in the country has talked about it hurting their chances in the tournament. But they didn't quit and found a way to win. They deserve some praise.

Sure, luck played a role. It always does. My point is the same: they beat us three times. If we had beaten them three times, how many on this board would be proclaiming we were the better team? All of us, I think.

So, onward. Remember a few years back, Baylor beat the Aggies three times one season before they met again in the semi-finals. A&M won and went on to win the National Championship. You never know.

• Like Like x 4
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I think I was most disappointed with Jordan Hosey for fouling Kalani Brown on that layup. Brown was so winded as she drove for the basket. If not for Hosey's foul:

- we go the other way and play 5 on 4 for the possession as no way Brown gets down the court

- Brown doesn't get to go the bench and sit for several minutes as Mulkey wanted the refs to review the replays for a flagrant foul; the refs took their sweet time reviewing that play; it was so obvious that Jordan tried to make a play on the ball

26. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

To be clear - it was a one point game with 1:41 left to play when they called a foul on Holmes and a technical on Karen. With no time off the clock it became a 5 point game and Baylor got possession. The refs gave the game to the horrible coach who screamed at them the entire time by calling a technical on Karen? Are you kidding me? Hell, Mulkey yelled at our assistant coach and then belittled our players. What a shame to lose that way. Pitiful. Just pitiful.

And Mulkey should be kissing Karen’s feet. Baylor’s wins over Texas are the only reason they are getting such a high seeding. We were they’re best wins.

And one more thing about Karen... the woman coached us magnificently. We came closer than anyone else against UConn and Baylor this year. We are quite literally a couple of baskets away from being one of, if not THE, best teams in the nation. Karen has us knocking on that door so hard, it’s just a matter of time before it comes flying off it’s hinges, And Mulkey knows that.

Let’s go Horns. Put this behind you. The NCAA tournament is going to be your playground. Enjoy it!

Texas Fight! :bevo:

• Like Like x 10
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  27. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

I liked that foul. May as well try and disrupt her. However, go back and watch Kim's classless antics afterwards trying to get a technical. She's utterly ridiculous. After the game Kim and Brown were laughing about Brown's acting job etc.

Baylor is a better team and they have a better coach - but I wouldn't want her.

• Like Like x 5
  28. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

We may never know what Aston’s magic words were. Unless one of the refs went rogue.......it had to be severe. I am not discounting the rogue possibility........and sure want to know. If the 3 refs were good enough to do this game, they should have ignored anything other than the most derogatory yell. As a former high school/college referee, you look the other way at that time in the game. However, there are some magic words that can get you the technical at any time. There are a half dozen things that come to mind. I didn’t see any outward rant but Aston certainly got the attention of one of the refs. Someone at the game must have heard it. Will that person “stand up and testify” to what the unhappy words were?

29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I liked the effort and hustle by Jordan. But, if she hadn't have done that, Mulkey wouldn't have had an excuse to ask for a flagrant foul, and the refs wouldn't have had a reason to go to the replay. And, Brown wouldn't have gotten 5 minutes of rest on the bench waiting for the play to resume.

• Like Like x 2
  30. RitaRivas

RitaRivas < 25 Posts

Being upset with the referees calling techs and fouls (or not) is one thing but attacking a student-athlete's ethics are another. Brown was clearly limping afterwards, she took a knee to her thigh on the play, and she has no history of flopping or acting. No need for adults to go in on her when she has always composed herself with class when playing. IMHO.

Lastly, I would redirect some of this anger towards Coach Aston who has gotten owned by Mulkey for what seems like forever and still could not get the job done against a short-handed Baylor squad without its senior leader/main ball handler and one its main perimeter threats (Chou).

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018