Beating Baylor - Big 12 Tournament Championship

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by texexted, Mar 5, 2018.

1. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Who is attacking a student athlete? Give me a break. Brown was joking about her lack of pain tolerance after the game. Fair game.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Here come the Baylor fans. Brown was gassed just trying to make the layup. She was smart to get whatever extra rest she could as a result of the foul. If she was hurt, she would not have returned to shoot the free throw.

You can have Mulkey trash as long as you want.

• Like Like x 9
  3. Hornzupp

Hornzupp 25+ Posts

Right. Listen, we were so close last night - it was fun to watch. But - sometimes fans just will not see what's right in front of them. This was supposed to be Baylor's "down year" even WITH Wallace - and they still gave it to us last night because we made some very bad decisions and mistakes. It's not the end of the world, no, but Tier 1 teams don't make the mistakes we made last night. And top coaches definitely don't do what KA did at such a crucial time in the game. Nope. That tech is not fighting for your team - that's a critical mistake that a great coach should/would never make. Just cannot happen. Ariel and Brooke cannot take us to the NCAAs alone either. I watched the game with sound down because can't stand those announcers - so I listened on radio and what they said is accurate - our ride into the tourney is on the backs of our supporting cast - not our stars. Yes, our stars must show up but alone, we will not be able to win with just them. Joyner Holmes is a wash until she can shoot jumpers and free throws. On a good note - Jatari seems to be blossoming at the right time. Let's go to the dance!

• Like Like x 4
  4. Hornzupp

Hornzupp 25+ Posts

LIKE that foul? That foul was easily one of the top 3-4 plays that changed the game for us. NOT a good foul at all. Good hustle yes. Good foul. No way. First - we were fine from a score perspective. Plus if you are going to foul there, you make sure she does NOT make that shot, otherwise, let it go.

5. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Our best players got zero help. Well not exactly zero but 1-17 is dang close. That is what Holmes, Hosey and Boothe provided. I don’t have the answer(s) but that kind of help will get a plane ticket home real quick. Those 3 are better than that. They play hard and are trying. How to get them to contribute marginally better will be the key to how far this team goes.

• Like Like x 2
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Whole-heartedly agree with your 1st paragraph. I can't recall Brown being anything other than a physical but clean post player.

As far as directing anger toward Coach Aston? The result was disappointing but I'm still a Texas fan. I would not support a team coached by Mulkey - it's bad enough dealing with a poor loser but the next time Mulkey shows an ounce of class on or off the court will be the first in a LONG time. I'm sure plenty of Baylor fans will call it sour grapes and that winning is the only thing that matters - I would expect nothing less from a school with its athletics department's 'legacy'.

• Like Like x 9
  7. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Here we go with the first time posters trying to agitate again. Nothing out of line was said about Brown and I’ll take Aston over the Brazos Hag any day all day as a coach.

• Like Like x 5
  8. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

I like how BU claims to be be sooo short handed and crying little sisters of the poor. You have 2 all Americans on the floor with some highly regarded senior & frosh players.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Hornzupp

Hornzupp 25+ Posts

What does it matter if a post is made by a "first time poster" or a 21st time poster? Hilarious the way folks attempt to bully and marginalize when their buttons are pushed. Should "first time" posters ask permission to speak too? It's a message board. Everyone has been a first time poster. LOL! Guess what? First time posters, 401st time posters - none of us will be silenced because someone doesn't agree or like what's said. Just because people disagree with you doesn't mean they don't love Texas - that's some archaic and distorted crap somebody sold you a long time ago. If you want to see our team and coaches through rose-colored glasses, that's your choice but don't lash out at folks who have the ability to support UT without being blind to our weaknesses. We're good at some stuff; we're bad at some stuff.

10. RitaRivas

RitaRivas < 25 Posts

Thx for the comment DFW. I meant redirecting anger away from Brown not away from Mulkey. Funny thing is I'm a fan of womens bball not Baylor specifically. My Twitter page has likes from Joyner Holmes for compliments I've given her if you want any testament to my impartiality.

• Like Like x 1
  11. skilled

skilled 25+ Posts

Thanks for this! The first time I posted I got accused of being someone that I was not. Since that time, I've posted from time to time, but mainly just stay in the background. I didn't come here to argue with anyone, but to only support a program that I like. I am an unbiased person for the most part, as I played the game, however it was not for UT or Baylor. I love women's basketball and find these type of games are good for the sport. We need more competition in the Big 12.

Regarding the game, both teams committed fouls that were not called. I was glad to see the refs let the game be played instead of blowing their whistles every few seconds. This is a physical game and players expect a certain amount of contact. I was especially happy with the play of White. She is playing with more confidence each game, and even more so than prior to her transfer.

I know Baylor has been a thorn in UT's side, however, this program has been improving by leaps and bounds each year. This loss is a disappointment, but we have so much to look forward to.

• Like Like x 8
  12. RitaRivas

RitaRivas < 25 Posts

So it wasn't just me! I post on the other UT board (Lady Vols) as well as the Boneyard (UConn) board but I clearly crossed a boundary of some sort with my first post. Very good commentary around here though.

• Like Like x 5
  13. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Wrong. You foul and hope she misses free throws otherwise you are handing them 2 points. And the person fouling isn’t a critical piece of the team so no worries about Jordan getting in foul trouble.

• Like Like x 2
  14. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Yup, like fouling Joyner as she's got a full steam going towards the basket.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Both Sedona and Charlie will take time to develop, yes. But defensive play comes along much faster than offensive skills when you are a post. Both, imo, seem to have quick feet and anticipate well on defense. If they can learn the defensive schemes quickly, they will make an impact. Remember about Cox, that one reason she went to Baylor was because she knew she would be sitting and learning behind Brown and Mompremier. Both Sedona and Charlie will also have that luxury with Jatarie and Joyner playing ahead of them.

Joyner needs more time with Coach Thompson. Jatarie has made huge strides this season, I am going to assume due to Coach Thompson's coaching. Joyner should continue to make strides as well, if she is willing to put into practice what Coach Thompson is teaching.

Jatarie was a very pleasant surprise with her ability to score against both Brown and Cox inside as well as her rebounding. That can only be good for us moving into the NCAAs.

But, as noted above-or in another thread, we don't have a shot blocker anymore. If Audrey-Ann is unable to return, we are going to have to do with pressuring defensively and not letting opponents get clean looks at the basket cuz no one is behind to clean up any mistakes.

• Like Like x 6
  16. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

17. Hornzupp

Hornzupp 25+ Posts

Wrong. Why? Time. Score. Situation. If you know anything about TSS - you know that Hosey lets KB have that layup. If you don't know anything about TSS, then carry on - b/c we'll be debating this point til the Bevos come home. Ask ANYone who's ever played or coached this game at the highest level if they'd THUMBS UP or THUMBS DOWN that play at THAT TIME in our game - and I guarantee you you'd get 98%+ thumbs down. It's a BAD decision. And the cumulative of bad decisions in the last 3 mins of the game - cost us that game.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Scamp

Scamp 100+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  19. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Therein it lies...

20. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

You're giving B12 refs way too much credit. I've seen much better jrHigh refs. Being a B12 ref has more to do with politics than ability to preform their job.

21. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Except for the fact it gave Brown a 5 minute rest period while the refs looked FOREVER at the replay at Mulkey's insistence!
    I thought Dee Kantner had more balls than that..:angry:

22. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Hmmm..not sure I agree with that..the 3 refs for last night's game are 3 of the best in the business, hands down..BUT to call that technical with just over a minute? Criminal..:cursing2:

23. Hoops chick

Hoops chick First Time Poster

Unlike football, basketball officials are not conference affiliated. There are no “B12 refs”. However, I do agree with you that the officiating last night was less than stellar. Those three ladies (Dee Kantner, LIsa Mattingly and Tina Napier) have called many D1 WBB games, including those in the final weekends of the NCAA tourney, and generally tend to be consistent on both sides of the court. Not sure what was going on last night.

24. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Post game press conference.

25. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

Aaarrgghh! Man we almost had it. I'm tired of being the bridesmaid. I want to be the bride.

1st time posters, welcome. Just shake off the haters. Love fresh new different perspectives on our Longhorns.

One question, Higgs was on fire, why did coach take her out for long periods of time? SMH Somebody enlighten me, please. Never mind. I just checked she played 33 minutes, 20 pts. She was ready for Baylor.

Holmes, Holmes, holmes. Losing that semester just messed her up. She definitely should of hired a personal basketball trainer during her time away. I know, shoulda, coulda woulda. But still love me some Joyner. It will come back. It's just taking longer than we all anticipated. 5 pts. SMH! Keep fighting Holmes.

OK, that daggum Morris is the realdeal.com. She's going to give our guards fits the next 3 years.

Now everyone keeps talking about Sedona and Prince. Well look at the freshman class we have now. They are warming the pine. So let's keep everything in perspective and take into consideration they'll probably be on known pine their freshman year with little playing time but much learning time.

Now I'm wondering if we meet Baylor for the 4th time in the big dance. Remember UCONN & ND fighting it out 4 times when digging was playing ball. Loved that rivalry. So if we meet them again, will we overcome?!?!?!

• Like Like x 3