Beaumont Restaurants

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by atxbaby, Feb 8, 2009.

1. atxbaby

atxbaby 250+ Posts

I'm going to be in beautiful Beaumont this week for work and I need suggestions on places to eat. I'd like suggestions for steak and Mexican for sure. I don't do seafood and I'm skeptical as to what kind of Chinese food they might serve in Beaumont...

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sorry, you lose! There is neither a really good steak restaurant or Mexican food in Jefferson County.

It's tough to say, but best steak may be the filet at Caraba's on I-10. Everything else is not as good as Golden Corral. The Outback is hit or miss at best. Local places are awful - avoid Sanderson's in Nederland at all cost unles you want to just throw away money and stop at Whataburger when you leave.

3. NB_LONGHORN

NB_LONGHORN 500+ Posts

Novrozky's makes a pretty good burger.
    there is a decent Mexican restaraunt back off of Delaware.

4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Nozrovsky's has almost become intolerable. Best burger around there is Dippitty's on US 96 on South side of Lumberton.

5. MirrOlure

MirrOlure 500+ Posts

There are at least a dozen very quality locally owned places in Beaumont (but don't try to find a steak):AISIAN:
    Pho-Four Seasons - located on College Street, between 11th and I-10, is a great Vietnamese place.

Chaba is located on Lucas, between Concord and East Texas Freeway, across from the entrance to Home Depot. Very small place, but great Thai food.

If you want "traditional" Chinese, try JoJo's in the Kroger Shopping Center located at the corner of Folsom and Dowlen.

MEXICAN:

Finally, you can get very good sushi at Tokyo, either the location on IH-10, or the more "intimate" location, which I prefer, in the Crossroads shopping center across from Parkdale Mall no Dowlen.

For Mexican, try Elena's, on College (altnernate location on Phelan, in the Colondade Shopping Center)., or Carlito's (spun off from Elenas.

Finally, if you want some good, locally owned, "neighborhood" ITALIAN
    , try any of the following:

New York Pizza & Pasta on Calder at Thomas (bring your own wine); (Downtown location has a full bar)

Gino's on Calder, down fro the Honey B Ham (also BYOB).

Most visitors to Beaumont go to the "Highway Chains" -- Carraba's, Pappadeaux's, Cheddar's, etc., but if you get off the highway, there are actually numerous locally owned, and very good options.

Please try them while you are here.

6. goofyboy

goofyboy 100+ Posts

i believe there is a decent mexican joint on Crocket street.

7. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

Joe's Pizza and pasta was very good and BYOB, but not much ambiance.

You really ought to try Al T's in Winnie- even if you don't like seafood order a burger and check out the decor and interesting food. it's good cajun, and lots of choices besides seafood. 5 miles this side of beaumont.

8. MirrOlure

MirrOlure 500+ Posts

........since the Beaumont-Winnie-Beaumont loop is a regular weekend bicycle route that I ride, I can say with certainty that Al-T's is more in the range of 18-20 miles west of Beaumont, depending on your start point!

9. Aces_Full

Aces_Full 500+ Posts

I say try out Larry's French Market in Groves. They have good food and it's always a lively place to be. They have bands nearly all weekends.

10. 911_horn

911_horn 500+ Posts

Fat Maks used to be decent BBQ. not sure if it is still there, or still decent.

11. TXBabe97

TXBabe97 250+ Posts

Too bad you don't like seafood -- otherwise this list would begin and end with Floyd's on I-10 or Sartin's in Nederland.

For Mexican, I am a big fan of the Tropical Grill in Port Arthur. It's not Tex-Mex per se (think more interior Mexico-ish), but they have a huge menu with a lot of selections.

It's kind of hard to find but well worth it. On Gulfway just off 347 (Twin City Hwy). The owner is usually there talking to customers, and is a very nice guy. I think they are originally from Oaxaca but I may have that wrong.

Italian: Tuscany on Hwy 365 in Port Arthur by the mall is excellent. I think their cousins own one of the places in Beaumont that was mentioned earlier. They are actually from Italy.

Port Arthur has a couple of really good soul food restaurants, too. I like Richard's on Gulfway, but if you are looking for "upscale," this is not the place for you. There is nothing upscale in Port Arthur!

I have heard Suga's in Beaumont is very good.

Too bad Esther's at the Rainbow Bridge hasn't re-opened post-hurricane yet. I know they're working on it.