Beef Shoulder Roast Help

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Stove Top, May 10, 2011.

1. Stove Top

Stove Top 25+ Posts

So, I have an offset smoker in which I burn oak / hickory. I usually do brisket / ribs / sausage / chicken. I usually buy an 8 - 9 lb untrimmed brisket. I leave it on the smoke until it hits ~200F then pull and wrap. At 250F or so, this works out to ~1.5 hrs per lb.

I am NOT a morning person and don't like to get up at 0 dark thirty to get the pit going and brisket on. In addition, I am not good at doing the overnight smoke.

This past weekend, I decided to try a beef shoulder / chuck roast. It was 8.5 lbs. Someone once told me 1 hr per lb. I smoked it at 250F from 09:00 to 18:30 hrs then wrapped and rested until 19:30. 10.5 hrs total. It was good - a little red - and could have been a bit more tender - not chewy by any means.

Question: In yall's experience with beef shoulder / chuck roast, at what temp do you pull then wrap and rest? If you dont pull / wrap / rest, at what temp do you pull?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!!!

2. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke 500+ Posts

I'd do it on the smoker for 6-8 hours, wrap it in foil w/ a small amount of beef stock and red wine, then let it braise in a 225 degree oven for another 4 hours at least.

That way you get the best of both worlds, smoked meat that's super tender and moist.