Beers To Try List

Discussion in 'Esther's Follies' started by mrjefft, Feb 13, 2008.

1. mrjefft

mrjefft 100+ Posts

Ok, so now I've been berated for about a week on my Abita Turbodog selection for a great beer. So, without further ado, here is a list of OTHER great beers put forth by the Hornfans beer drinkers.

Here is the List, I will be trying them all myself

DARK LORD IMPERIAL STOUT haven't tried it yet
    SIERRA NEVADA PALE ALE not wild about it
    SMITHWICK'S ok, I prefer Guinness
    GUINNESS -- Had a couple Wednesday night. Dark beer, malty, low hop flavor, tastes great even warm. No secret here. $2/pt at the Tyber Creek Pub in Charlotte. (no joke)
    TEN FIDY haven't tried it yet
    DOGFISH HEAD haven't tried it yet
    CELIS tried a couple varieties, it's ok
    LaRossa Looking forward to this
    FREE I like this a lot
    SAM ADAMS BLACK haven't seen it yet
    SAISON DUPONT haven't tried it yet
    OMMEGANG HENNEPIN-- haven't tried it yet--$9.99/ 24 oz. bottle
    DIEBLES ALT haven't tried it yet
    LEFFE BRUNE -- searching for this one now-- Not available in Charlotte, NC
    SHINER BLACK haven't tried it, but will
    DELERIUM NOCTURNUM -- tried it Thursday night, Medium dark beer with lots of carbonation. Fresh, malty flavor, hoppy finish, tastes like Cascade hops, nice brew, hoppier when warm. $12.99/4 pack 12 oz.
    LA BIERE des CALLINES SAISON FARMHOUSE ALE- New recommendation.
    BERNARDUS ABT. 12.- New recommendation
    AlLTENMUNSTER WINTERBIER DOPPLEBOCK- New Recommendation
    BRECKENRIDGE VANILLA PORTER- New Recommendation I don't normally like flavored beers, but this sounds interesting.
    BRECKENRIDGE 471 IPA- New Recommendation.
    BOULEVARD WHEAT- New Recommendation, sounds great.

I would like you point out that you guys in Austin Have a nice little store called the WHIP IN. It is located off of the OLTORF exit as you are going South off I-35. Be careful, because you really do have to "Whip in" there as soon as you exit. They have a great beer selection, at reasonable prices.

Thanks to all who have posted, if you haven't tried some of these, what the heck, give em a run. You're only around once, but you can BUY a round many times.

2. K-Man

K-Man 250+ Posts

3. Tim & Omar's Apt

Tim & Omar's Apt 100+ Posts

I had the same reaction as K-Man.

You will like Shiner Black though. It's got a great coffee finish.

4. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

Go to flying saucer with a list to give to the bartender and have them bring you one from the list every 15 minutes.

I'm not a fan of Sierra Nevada either, I'm not a fan of hoppy beers.

I go to a bar in Northern VA that uses Smithwick's and Guiness, the original black and tan, instead of Harp. Much, much better!! $3 HH for imperial pint, begin countdown.

5. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

There is no way Fuller's bases all their beers of ESB. Their 1845 tastes nothing like ESB, for instance.

6. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Dogfish has the 60 Minute and 90 Minute-both good, but even better is their Raison d'Etre.
    And try 1554, from New Belgium, I believe-really good beer.

7. BooDog

BooDog 100+ Posts

I actually recommended Delirium Tremens, a pale ale. Delirium Nocturnum is a dark ale that I've not tried (yet).

I know you can find Tremens at Central Market, Specs and Whole Foods. Hell, I think my HEB (in Circle C) carries it.

8. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

9. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

Actually, DC...the original 'Black & Tan' is Bass Pale Ale and Guinness. Guinness produces Harp, so it is in their best interest to push that into the mix. Smithwick's began being used, as did Harp, because Bass became hard to find in Ireland.

Depending on who you ask, the Harp or Smithwick's versions may be referred to as Half & Half or Half'n'alf, rather than a Black & Tan, as purists believe a B&T must be Guinness and Bass.

[​IMG]

10. Eastwood22

Eastwood22 250+ Posts

Arrogant Bastard Ale...

I want to try Shiner Black and since Sierra Nevada is highly touted around here, I guess I'll try that, too...

11. wolfman

wolfman 1,000+ Posts

12. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze 250+ Posts

13. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

If you can find these, I recommend trying them:

From Deschutes
    Black Butte Porter
    Mirror Pond Pale Ale
    Inversion IPA
    Obsidian Stout
    Bachelor ESB
    Jubelale

From Full Sail
    Pale Ale
    Amber
    Session

From Alaskan
    Amber
    IPA
    Smoked Porter

From Pike
    Pale (Amber Ale)
    Kilt Lifter (Ruby Ale)
    Naughty Nellie (Golden Ale)

From Redhook
    Longhammer IPA
    Blackhook Porter
    Copperhook Spring Ale
    Winterhook

From Rogue
    Brutal Bitter
    Mocha Porter
    Kells Lager
    Oregon Golden Ale

14. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

15. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

16. Vicerous

Vicerous 100+ Posts

17. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze 250+ Posts

18. El_Guapo

El_Guapo 500+ Posts

To OP -

You like TurboDog but not Sierra Nevada PA. That tells me you like malty but not hops. Which is fine - to each his own. You will probably be happier with the Belgian beers recommended here than the uber-hoppy ales most of us beer snobs gravitate towards.

Other beers I'd suggest for you are Oatmeal Stouts (Sam Smith or Youngs), Widmer's Snow Plow (a milk stout and very good), Real Ale Brown (may have a bit more hops than you like, but a good place to start), Real Ale Coffee Porter if you can find it, and Anchor Porter. If you like Anchor Porter and want to acquire more of a taste for hops, graduate up to Sierra Nevada Porter.

Full Sail Amber is one my all-time favorite malty beers. At least to me it's malty.

You will probably like Diebel's Alt but it's a bear to find. I haven't tried Shiner Black but I hear it's decent, probably silmilar to New Belgium 1554. North by Northwest used to have a black ale as one of their standard brews but I haven't been in a while, so I don't know if it's still on the rotation.

Avoid Arrogant Bastard. You won't like it at all. Same with Dogfish Head.

Also, Mrteabiscuit was jacking with you on that other thread.

19. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

This may be a stupid question but if I prefer dark beers like Guiness, Shiner, LaRossa and Celis Pale Bock does mean that I prefer malt flavored beers? I also like Blue Moon, Hoagarrden, Boddingtons which are wheat beers.

My favorite is Chimay White, which isn't white or a wheat beer but redish brown in color and bitter. What type of beer is it?

20. El_Guapo

El_Guapo 500+ Posts

I'm not familiar with LaRossa but the other beers you list are known for their malt character moreso than their hops.

Wheat beers are somewhat of a different category, but also generally are not known for their hop character. Wheat is simply substituted for some of the malted barley in the grain bill, along with somewhat unique yeasts. btw, Boddington's is not a wheat beer. And Blue Moon is made by Coors. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Chimay White (iirc) is a Belgian Triple. Belgian's tend to stretch the limits, mostly in their higher alcohol contents which is a result of... more malt. If it tastes more bitter to you, it's probably because they've added more hops to offset the higher sweetness caused by the malt, not that they're shooting for a "hoppy" beer like an IPA or something. The term White in this case is just a label marketing thing - they also have Red and Blue. It has nothing to do with the "color" of the beer. A "white beer" is a particular style of Belgian wheat beer, but Chimay White is, as far as I know, not one.

So I would say you are not a hophead. And that's fine. You have some good beers on your list - enjoy them but don't be scared to branch out.

21. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

Chimay White is an Abbey Tripel beer from Belgium. As you pointed out, it's not a Belgian witbier like Hoegaarden (or Celis White). The various colors that Chimay uses as their branding are just ways to indicate the different beers they produce. The Chimay Red is a Dubbel, and the Blue is categorized as a "Belgian Strong Ale."

Anyway, there are plenty of beer snobs who don't like the highly hopped beers from the PAC-NW. I don't care for Sierra Nevada at all, and I can take or leave many of the other beers from that region. Just a matter of personal taste, of course, but my palate tends toward the more balanced European styles. Belgians are my favorite, although I love many of the German beers as well, and the Czech pilsners are the best in the world.

22. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze 250+ Posts

Another good witbier to try is Mannequin Pis.

23. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

Thanks for the info. I see that Chimay "White" is actually called "Cing-Cents". I'm going to a Belgium restaurant Saturday night called Brasserie Beck and I've been studying their beer menu for a week. Here's a link to their beer menu, any must haves? I've found several that I want to try but I may not be able to get through them all in one sitting.

Brasserie Beck Beer Menu

24. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze 250+ Posts

Wow- great list. There are quite a few I've never had on there and would like to try. Some recommendations...

The Westmalle Tripple (the dubbel is good too, but I like the tripple better).

St. Bernardus Abt. 12

Maredsous 10- another Trippel, although that one is pretty common so I'm guessing you've had it.

I've heard the Grottenbier Flemish is good, but I have not yet tried it (they've got it at Saucer, so I probably will this weekend)

The Gueze selection is impressive.

25. El_Guapo

El_Guapo 500+ Posts

Holy cow, that's quite the list. I've never even heard of most of those.

A couple of things that initially caught my eye were the Bavik, because it's on draft and a pilsner and I love pilsners, and Scotch de Silly because a Belgian Scotch Ale just sounds too cool.

Do you need a primer on lambics?

26. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

27. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze 250+ Posts

I don't drink them frequently, but Lambic is a great (and distinctive) style.

Lambics Explained

Overview...

28. horngrad03

horngrad03 250+ Posts

Left Hand Milk Stout
    The Link

Breckenridge Vanilla Porter
    The Link

I can usually find both at Central Market

29. El_Guapo

El_Guapo 500+ Posts

Lambics can be either really, really good or really, really bad. But they are nothing if not unique and if you're going to a Belgian restaurant to sample Belgian beers, I'd feel obliged to throw at least one in the mix.

30. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts