Beers To Try List

Discussion in 'Esther's Follies' started by mrjefft, Feb 13, 2008.

1. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

2. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

The new Sierra Nevada ESB is kinda mediocre.

3. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

I'm easy...I wanna try a Hamms

4. LovinTheAtx

LovinTheAtx 250+ Posts

okay, so last night I went to Flying Saucer to try St. Bernardus Abt 12 and of course they were out. So I tried Hoegaarden and was told to drink it with out the orange in it.

I wasn't sure I'd like it, but it was pretty good. It was easy to drink to say the least so I wasn't disappointed.

I also tried Maredsous 10 to stay with the Belgium theme. Really good beer that packs a punch.

So next time, I'll finally try St. Bernardus.

5. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

6. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

^
    I made up for it with a Bigfoot.

7. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

I'm with sneezy. If you ordered a black and tan at the irish bars I frequented you'd be laughed at for sure and possible thrown out.

8. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

miller lite.

9. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

Old Style!! [​IMG]

10. mrjefft

mrjefft 100+ Posts

Thanks to everyone who has been posting here.

You guys came up with some outstanding beer selections, that otherwise might not have been know by many, or tried. There are many great Beers on this list, and, if we left any out, please post, so we can all try them.. Cheers!!! [​IMG]

11. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Hazed and Infused from Boulder Beer Company is outstanding.

12. defroach

defroach 25+ Posts

ive been trying new beer every time i go to stores, if i do not have teh bottle, i will buy it.....

its sad, i have booked trips around trying beer (czech republic, germany, belgium, etc). Anyways, ive been collecting the bottles as ive gone, have managed to get 600+ so far that i have been able to get....

Beerlist

Just a link to the bottles that I have tried and collected if anyone is interested.....

13. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

14. defroach

defroach 25+ Posts

personally, i am a fan of belgian witbiers or weisse beers. One of the best german ones ive had was schneider weisse, all of theirs tend to be fairly good (even the organic weisse). Ive had a lot of beers that have been good from belgium, but i have not seen a lot of them available in the US.....

I can more easily name the worst beers ive had, one that stands out was a Dorado Cerveza Michelado from guatemala....by far the worst beer ive ever had. Tasted like salt water mixed with a lime

15. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

16. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

17. haven

haven 25+ Posts

Smuttynose, a Portsmouth, NH, microbrewery, makes a great IPA and a very good pale ale.

18. EB22

EB22 100+ Posts

defroach,

I have the same sickness you have:

ive been trying new beer every time i go to stores, if i do not have teh bottle, i will buy it.....

its sad, i have booked trips around trying beer (czech republic, germany, belgium, etc). Anyways, ive been collecting the bottles as ive gone, have managed to get 600+ so far that i have been able to get....

including the various trips around the world my wife has humored me with. But my wife would never let me collect all of those bottles around the house. Instead I have labels that I have soaked and peeled off laying all over the place, but mostly on confined to one box. The ones I cant get or are painted on the bottles get the old digit picture instead. Keep up the collecting.

19. 83Horn

83Horn 100+ Posts

Kilkenneys Irish cream ale. Not sure if it's available in the States, but if it is, it is well worth the effort to track down. Incredibly smooth and, as the name implies, creamy.

20. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

If you like IPA's, you really must try
    Anderson Valley Hop Ottin' IPA. I have a tough time thinking of another beer that I've ever enjoyed more. Mmmmm.

21. LovinTheAtx

LovinTheAtx 250+ Posts

Sort of on the same topic, anyone have some good recommendations for breweries to visit in the U.S.?

I'll be heading to the east coast in a couple of weeks and probably Colorado as well, so I wouldn't mind making a stop at a good brewery.

Thanks.

22. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

23. MustangOrange

MustangOrange 100+ Posts

83Horn - I've never seen Kilkenny in the states, but they do have it in China. Strange that I can get it there, but not here.

24. mrjefft

mrjefft 100+ Posts

Anything New?? You guys have made some impressive selections so far!! I have really enjoyed trying the new brews that have flavor from Hops and Malts, rather than the watered down swill the general public is accustomed to.

I hear the "Hornfans" are thinking about a tasting at the Flying Saucer. That sounds like a lot of fun! I wish I were closer to Austin, so I could go. Alas, I am in Illinois on business.......

Party on Hornfans, Party on... [​IMG]

25. BooDog

BooDog 100+ Posts

Here are a few German brewers recommended by a German co-worker of mine. I'll post her recommendations as she provided them to me:

Früh: Kölsch-style beer, easy going lager, best served as draft, but the bottle version will do. This is what I will get in my favorite restaurant in Frankfurt before I even sit down. [​IMG]
    Kloster Andechs: they have everything from lager to wheat beer to bock beer. They know what they are doing.
    Jever: "Beck's times 2"
    Weihenstephaner: they are one of the oldest breweries around ... for a good reason.
    Flensburger: a lager that was made famous in Germany by a comic book, is known for its swingtop bottle and is just called "Flens". One of my brother-in-laws makes sure that he always has a case around.

Spec's carries Weihenstephaner and Flens so I can vouch for those beers. Haven't been able to find the others in Austin yet.

26. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

27. BooDog

BooDog 100+ Posts

No wine coolers or fruity drinks for good Deutsche chicks.

Bier ist König!

28. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

As far as I'm concerned, the fewer hopheads in the world, the better.

It leaves more for me.