Besides the Rose bowl win over USC what is your favorite Texas bowl game.

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Austin_Bill, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I have a lot of bad memories of Texas bowl games over the years, thank heavens for Mack Brown Now I have a few good ones.

2004 Rose Bowl win over Michigan is my favorite. Vince because the legend in this game.
    2008 Fiesta Bowl win over Ohio State. I'm still disappointed we didn't get to the BCS title game, but this was a heck of a win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Tough choice, but probably the '70 Cotton Bowl win over Notre Dame and Joe Theismann. Natty #2. My senior year.

• Like Like x 7
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  3. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

The one against Colorado (I think) where they had much bigger players than we did and totally dominated the first half. We came out and routed them in the second half. Must have been a helluva halftime speech. This was a very long time ago.

4. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

1978 sun bowl where we massacred Maryland 42 zip. Either tom brookshire or pat summerall said "I have never seen a defense this big and this fast, as a combination.". I really thought we'd be unbeatable in 79

The beating we put on Tennessee in the cotton bowl after the 68 season gave me the same feeling going into 69, it seemed no one could stop the wishbone as long as we played solid defense.

Beating Alabama after the 82 season was big. Fun game with all time fave Robert Brewer chugging into the end zone on a qb draw. He finally crossed the goal Iine somewhere around midnight or so... And it was a thing of beauty.

But my Favorite..Major beating UW in San Diego was off the charts as for as a feel good win that didn't involve MNC implications. He deserved it.

5. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

Michigan Rose Bowl. I was a student at the time.

My parents are originally from Pasadena, CA, along with (obviously) my aunts and uncles. Their high school's home football field was the Rose Bowl. My dad played football in the Rose Bowl. My uncles were in band and marched in the Rose Bowl. My mom was on the drill team and danced in the Rose Bowl.

The Rose Parade was a little more locally-oriented back then, and for a lot of folks in Pasadena, it was a New Year's Day tradition to go watch the parade. My mom's family never missed it. My mom also helped build a float one year.

In our house, New Year's Day meant two things: Take down all the Christmas decorations and watch the Rose Bowl. It didn't matter who was playing, you ALWAYS watch the Rose Bowl. Kind of like the Super Bowl for a lot of people.

So whadaya know, Texas winds up in the Rose Bowl, playing a storied program like Michigan for the first time ever, and I managed to score tickets. My dad and I went together, and for him, I imagine it was a beautiful way of tying his adult life in Texas to his California roots (by then, he had already lived in Texas longer than he had in California). For me, it was simply an awesome thing to do with my dad.

Oh, and did you watch the game? Holy ****! If you disregard the stakes and the storylines surrounding the game, I'd argue the Michigan Rose Bowl was just as entertaining as the USC Rose Bowl, possibly more, purely judging them based on the plays on the field. Vince Young was unstoppable that day...and so was Steve Breaston.

Cherry on top: Michigan fans were great, start-to-finish. On the bus ride to the stadium, the bus was evenly split between Texas and Michigan fans, and everyone was having a good time looking forward to the game together. After losing a heartbreaker, Not a single Michigan fan was badmouthing anyone. At one point, I overheard one Michigan fan say to another, "It's a shame either team had to lose that game." Ever since then, I kinda-sorta root for Michigan.

• Like Like x 7
  6. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Final Aggie Game.
    Not recognized as a bowl
    But , to me it’s the SW Airlines Wanna Get Away Bowl.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  7. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

1987 Bluebonnet Bowl. Bret Stafford to Tony Jones connection went off on Pitt.

8. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Breaking question down to favorite bowl I attended besides 2006 Rose Bowl and favorite bowl I didn't attend but watched on tv besides the '06 Rose, I would say my favorite bowl I attended besides 2006 Rose Bowl is a tossup between the 2001 Holiday Bowl win over Washington. 47-43, huge comeback by Horns, Major goes out on winning note and the Horns cap off a top five finish in the polls the first of five top five finishes for Mack at Texas, and the 2005 Rose Bowl against Michigan with the last second FG, incredible plays by VY and just all around incredible day for me that started with heading to Rose Parade at 3:30 a.m. followed by all the Rose Bowl drama in the best venue in all of college football.

Favorite bowl besides 2006 Rose that I watched on TV would have to be 2009 Fiesta Bowl win over Ohio State.

9. SAMMCHornfan

SAMMCHornfan 250+ Posts

Jan 1982 Cotton Bowl against Alabama and Bear Bryant. But so disappointed when Robert Brewer decided not to play football the following year.

A couple of years later, probably the most heartbreaking loss in Texas Bowl history.

Second favorite bowl game was probably the Jan 2009 Fiesta Bowl and beating Ohio State.

10. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Brewer played in 82. He was denied eligibility in '83 due to having played on the last JV team we ever field in '79.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  11. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

FAVS I attended:

1970 Cotton Bowl - 21-17 victory over Notre Dame - DKR won his second NC, Wishbone O, Freddie, Street, Worster, Spreyer, Billy Dale, etc.

2005 Rose Bowl - 38-37 victory over Michigan, VY more formerly introduced himself to the world.

WORST I attended:

1978 Cotton Bowl - 38-10 loss to ND :puke::puke::puke:
    1984 Cotton Bowl - 10-9 loss to GA :puke::puke::puke:

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  12. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

Never mention 1984 again. UGH

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

2004 Rose, I was there, it was and still is one of the best memories ever.:cowrose:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

That Miami Cotton was as bad as the 83 against Georgia. They had a 1st and 45 on the 1st drive and converted it. ugh. And it was sooo cold that day.

I had great tickets to the 2004 Rose, but my father was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer over Thanksgiving and they gave him 4 months to live. Sold the tickets and we had like 20+ people all with us over the holidays. People on the floors, couches, everywhere. That was one sweet game to watch with the whole fam. Dad ended up living another 2 years without chemo so was thankful for every day I got with him. Giving up that game was an easy sacrifice to make. Dad was a WWII vet and I think he thought every day was a gift past his service time. Too many boys didn't come back.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

That was the 1975 Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl.

I remember taking my 13-inch Sony to work to watch it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I’ll go way back and choose the 1965 Orange Bowl. We beat Bama and Joe Namath 21-17 with a last minute goal line stand!

Bama finished 10-0 and ranked no.1. We were no 5. We won 21-17 . If not for 14-13 loss to Arky, we’d have had back-to-back Nattys. In those days the bowls didn’t count towards the MNC.

It was first Orange Bowl at night and first nationally televised college football game during prime time. Kind of hard to believe now, isn’t it.

I have a life-long friend from Bama. He still says Bama scored on the last play. He might be right, but no instant replay back then either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Worsterman, I'm with you. I also attended both of those games, and it's difficult to express the disappointment from those losses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Worst Bowl I attended was 1971 Cotton Bowl.

Horns had 30 game winning streak going in, but Norte Dame dominated. It was 24-11 at the half and 2nd half was scoreless. We had 6 turnovers.

I watched the Horns from the best seats for any sporting event I ever had. 45 yard line and maybe 10-15 rows up. I was so low I caught a souvenir mini- football throw by Texas Cowboys.

19. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

We were down 21-7 at halftime and then in the 3rd quarter scored 24 points in a span of 8 minutes, including a Campbell blocked punt recovery - DE Tim Campbell, that is, not Earl (back when you could be 5'11" and 190 lbs and play DE). Earl scored on the 2 point conversion though. We only threw 5 passes the entire game, completing 4 of them.

• Like Like x 1
  20. WorsterMan

I was on a HS ski trip and could not see the 1971 CB. I was sickened to learn the Horns lost like they did. 6 turnovers, Worster, my hero then - had several of them, 30 game win streak over and lost to the most over hyped program on the planet. Joe Theisman was such a cocky little bastard.

Didn't see clips of the game until years later on You Tube. Eddie Phillips was about the only bright spot as i recall - before the irish knocked him out of the game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  21. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

My favorite, even more than the Rose Bowl was the 1964 Cotton Bowl.

The Eastern press said we hadn't seen anything like Navy and couldn't stand up to teams from the East.

28-6 and it wasn't really that close.

• Like Like x 1
  22. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Jan 1 1973 Cotton Bowl. Texas 17 #4 Alabama 13.

My junior year. My favorite bowl game and best bowl game I attended.

I seem to remember the press called out Alabama for going to the “chicken bowl”
    They called the Alabama OL the “Redwood Forest”.

No one gave us a chance in the game. DKR had converted Alan Lowry from a DB to QB that year. Lowry had a 34 yd run in the fourth quarter to win the game. Looked like he stepped out of bounds on the play, but he didn’t.

Our defense cut down the “Redwood Forest” that day.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  23. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Worster had a terrible game. They benched him eventually and put in Bobby Callison. Once Phillips got knocked unconscious, that was the ballgame. We were driving when he went down.

24. I_Dont_Exist

Not the way I remember it at all. Especially the first half.

25. WorsterMan

How do you remember it?

26. I_Dont_Exist

Worster had over a 100 in first half. Was probably too stoned in the 2nd half for a clear memory. Me not him.

27. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Box score from the 71 CB v ND:

Notre Dame vs Texas (Jan 1, 1971)

Not a statline there, but IIRC Phillips, even though played only the first half, left due to injury, still set a single player CB record for total yards doing it in one half. He had a 63 yard scamper, ran 23 times for 164, 7.1 YPC. Worster, uncharacteristically went 16 carries for 42, or 2.6 YPC, but couldn't hold onto the ball. In one half Phillips rushed for 164 and passed for 199, total of 363 yards. VY numbers.

Texas fumbled 9 times losing 5, and Phillips' replacement Donnie Wigginton pitched in with an INT, so Texas turned it over 6 times. ND fumbled once losing it to UT, and was intercepted once.

Loved me some WooWoo, but rumors flew quickly that Steve and his buddies, uh, partied way too much the night before in Dallas. Stories of unable to keep their morning breakfast down; these guys had played and beaten ND in this arena 365 days earlier for a national championship, so wasn't "nerves." Not pissing on him, but even at 2.6 per carry, those fumbles were deadly, and he just didn't look like himself with the ball.

Hook 'em

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Worster finished the game with 42 total rushing yards.

I think you may be recalling Phillips who was a one-man offense for Texas until going out injured.

29. I_Dont_Exist

I would have sworn he had a 60+ just before the half. Must have 70 and 71 confused. Smoked a lot in those days.

30. WorsterMan

1970 CB win over ND Worster had like 150 yards rushing and was key to the win.

1971 CB loss, he was an ineffective fumbling goat. Back then, I heard the same story that he and others stayed out most of the night before partying. I remember DKR made an excuse for the terrible play of Worster by stating he had been injured in a game prior and maybe should not have played... something like that.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018