Best Apartment complex in Austin?

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by Diamondback, May 14, 2004.

1. Diamondback

Diamondback 25+ Posts

First off, let me say that I hate living in apartments. My lease at my current apartment ends in July. I will probably look into renting a duplex or townhome then. But, I wanted to ask everyone who lives in an apartment or has rented one in Austin, which apartment complex is the best or did you enjoy the most? In anwering this, think about price, size, noice factor, location, neighbors, leasing agents, maintenance, etc. Just in case I have to rent another apartment, I'd like to hear which ones are thought of as the best.
    By the way, I'm not talking about campus apartments that are cool to live at while you're a student. I'm talking more about apartments that you've lived at or live at around town after you've graduated and work for a living out in the real world. [​IMG] Thoughts?

2. Moe Syzlack

Moe Syzlack 25+ Posts

Metropolis or Longhorn Station.[​IMG]

All kidding aside, my guess would be the Gables.

3. YeaTexasFight

YeaTexasFight 1,000+ Posts

currently living at Canyon Springs off 360. Not a bad place. Has a WIDE range of people living here. People like me (about to graduate in two weeks) to retirees...People who drive '89 Chevy pickups (actually, I guess I'm the only one) to people who drive BMWs, Land Rovers.

I would say my roomate and I aren't their normal type of tenants but when you can get a nice place like this (by my standards) in a down market like we did last year, you take it.

The only negative is EVERYONE seems to have a pet dog and some of them are as annoying as it gets the few times that I hear them barking.

Be happy to give you more details if you are interested at living off 360 between 183 & 2222.

4. highbury

highbury 25+ Posts

Not High Oaks. I'll let you know about Savannah Apartmenters next year.

5. Diamondback

Diamondback 25+ Posts

Durkee
    Since you're the apartment locator, chime in with your thoughts when you read this. Which one's do you hear get the best reviews from tenants?

6. Mr. Football

Mr. Football 100+ Posts

In my day, Orange Tree in West Campus was the best place to live. Lot's of yum-yums. Put a lot of notches on the bed post that semester...

7. Dr Fear

Dr Fear 500+ Posts

Bates Motel, I think it's off Lamar.

8. PennHORN

PennHORN 25+ Posts

I really liked the State House on Congress. It was a little pricey $900 for an 800 sq ft. 1 bedroom/1 bath. I worked downtown so it took only 5-10 minutes to get to work in the morning. You couldn't beat the location either. South Congress with Guero's, El Sol y La Luna, Amie's Ice Cream, and Jo's Coffee literally only a few steps away from your apartment.

I thought the management was very good as well. The couple of times I had minor problems with my apartment, they came to repair the same day I called. They also replaced a/c filters and hard to reach lightbulbs for free. More importantly, the pool had some nice trim during the summer. It is MUCH better than the Alexan on Congress and the people who live there are more professional and less spoiled college student.

The only advice I would give is to get a space in the garage as parking outside was a ***** as there were not enough spaces for residents and guests.

9. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

I lived in a little apartment complex off Enfield the last year I was in college and the 1st year I was in the real world. It's called "Tanglewood West" and located on Norwalk Ln. which is the last street you can turn left on before you get to Exposition if heading west on Enfield.

The complex was well maintained and very quiet, and the people were freindly but kept to themselves. There hardly any crime in the area, and it was the only apartment complex I've lived in where I wasn't scared to leave the door unlocked. They didn't have a lot of amenities, but the 1st building had a pool in the middle and had a kinda "melrose place" kinda feel. I only had to call maintenence a couple of times, and there were there that day, within a couple of hours.

The apartments there aren't fancy or anything near the kind of stuff you'd find off 360, but there were nice and not very expensive. I paide $515 for a one bedroom that was small but had big windows and had a good floorplan.

Oh, and they also had covered parking.

10. TrashMaster G

TrashMaster G 250+ Posts

It doesn't get any better than Courtland on Cameron Road!

11. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

Both of my sisters have had very good experience with AMLI Scofield Ridge. It's on the northwest edge of town and TxDOT is about to start extending the Mopac freeway up there. Really nice complex and in a good neighborhood, and my sisters couldn't say enough good things about the management.

I've had plenty of people say that AMLI Stonehollow is pretty good as well. It's pretty close to the ACC Northridge campus though, and it's not as close to the edge of town as Scofield Ridge is, so there would be higher traffic there.

Here's a good site for you to use:The Link

12. PUT_SIMMS_IN

PUT_SIMMS_IN 100+ Posts

I've been at Deerfield off of Brodie Ln. (between William Cannon and Slaughter) for two years now. Lease is up at the end of this month and I may be moving but only because of a sweet deal with my dad's house that I can't pass up.

Deerfield is awesome! It has a car wash, dry cleaning service, huge hot tub, swimming pool, water volleyball pool, badass club house that you can rent out for free (just deposit), half court basketball gym and by far, the best weightroom I have ever seen at an apt. complex. You can cancel your gym membership when living here.

The apartments are affordable. We got in two years ago when they were practically giving them away but they are still fair on price.

The scenery during the summer at the pool and all over the property is very nice. All the neighbors seem very nice and most are in that mid 20s - mid 30s range. The maintenance guys are cool and I see them working their asses off all the time. I have never had to call them though in two years.

Leasing agents are very nice. The leasing managers are the absolute best!!! Amy and Heidi. I love these ladies. They really do a great job and treat everyone with respect. They are the type of girls that will not let you leave the office with out saying hi to them and they are easy to joke with. Both are very attractive but I am sure that is not your main concern right?

I have moved a lot of people to a lot of different apartments and I have seen some really nice ones. I don't think any of them could possibly top Deerfield.

The only problem may be location but that is a personal preferance. I love it because my office and trucks are right around here and it is kind of out of the main part of town and back off the road so you don't here traffic and sirens when you are outside on the balcony. Damn, they should pay me for this.

13. Diamondback

Diamondback 25+ Posts

There's a complex around Duval/Mopac that always gets really great reviews, but I can't think of the name. I was thinking at looking at apartments around Mopac/360. I'll have to check out that one that a previous poster mentioned. Keep coming with the reviews.

14. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

I know Wheeler Horn got a really good deal at a place a little out past 360 on 2222-- like 650 for a 2 b/2b

15. Durkee

Durkee 500+ Posts

Diamondback, go toThe Link and you can see what former tenants have said about different porperties. Keep in mind that sometimes the staff might put in comments to make their properties look better, and sometimes disgruntled people who have been evicted or whatever might make **** up, but it's pretty easy to tell which is real and which isn't.

I agree with the Canyon Springs comment--it's a great community and I am showing two of my buddies there this weekend. You had better call me before you go and lease anywhere, though!!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

PM me if you have ?'s about specific properties, and I'll be happy to answer.

16. iamtigerwoods

iamtigerwoods 500+ Posts

Assuming you are single and you spend a lot of time going out in the downtown area, I highly suggest you look at any of the new places downtown. Being able to avoid driving home drunk and risking a DWI or a wreck is well worth paying more per month.

17. Durkee

Durkee 500+ Posts

18. iamtigerwoods

iamtigerwoods 500+ Posts

I am not sure how suggesting one not put themselves in the position of driving home drunk or spending $75 per night on cabs is bad advice, but so be it. Recognize that a cab to NW Austin is easily $30-40 each way..

19. Diamondback

Diamondback 25+ Posts

First, I'm not into going downtown and getting drunk frequently. I've done that enough in my time that I rarely go downtown anymore these days. Second, isn't that why they have the "free" cab rides for people who are drunk.

20. Durkee

Durkee 500+ Posts

iam, efficiencies downtown start at $800-1100 dollars a month. A nice condo in the 183-MOPAC area can be had for less than $600. And no cab ride from 6th to that area costs $40.

21. horn26

horn26 Guest

It's been 6 years but The Marquis and Ladera Vista was a great place. It's in NW Austin off of Jollyville Road.

22. Bob Wills

Bob Wills 500+ Posts

I lived at Great Hills Village out by the Arboretum and had an above average experience. It was fairly new at the time, everything was clean, tons of tatas at the pool, and I had my own garage with another reserved spot.

I don't know what they go for now, but I do know the same 2/2 in LA will go for a good $2000.

23. Texas_Rocks

Texas_Rocks 500+ Posts

PSI,
    I lived at Deerfield for a year.That really is a great place and the perks are probably the best in town. Parking availability may be the worst you will find in this town though.[​IMG]

24. PUT_SIMMS_IN

PUT_SIMMS_IN 100+ Posts

True on Deerfield Parking. It has gotten a lot better though because they will tow your *** if you don't have a sticker and you are supposed to tell guests to park outside the gate. Not that anyone does this but I do see some cars out front late at night and I think more people are using garages and covered parking. You have to rent those spots so they do so in order to make sure they have a spot close.

If you get home late though, which I do often, it can be pretty ******. My building is surrounded by parking lots in the back so I get lucky most of the time.

25. mockingbird

mockingbird < 25 Posts

Legacy at Western Oaks. Mopac & Slaughter.

26. TenaciousTgarden

TenaciousTgarden 250+ Posts

i own a condo off far west that i adore; however, had a fire and have had to temporarily relocate. Great Hills Village near arboretum (behind Bed Bath and Beyond, across from Sam's and Home Depot) is one of the only places that would do a 6 mo lease at the last minute (like three days!) and take my dog. i actually really like the place. i pay about $750 for my one bed/one bath, but it is huge, over 1000 sq ft i think. everything in it seems new - they must upkeep really well, b/c it's the same age as some of the gables apts i looked at but seems MUCH nicer. my floor plan is bad ***, too. the people in the office are very nice. my only complaint is that it is very apartment-complexy - tons of units and not very personal - but that's what most of the nicer places are like anyway. I never hear my neighbors, and it seems like everyone is a young professional type. it's a great location - very easy access to both mopac and 183, and lots of restaurants and shopping around. the grounds are nice and well kept - beautiful pool too. i thought i was going to be in hell having to stay in an apt again after owning my own place, but GHV is actually a pretty nice place.
    another place i looked that is nice and v. reasonable is Monte Vista - it's by 360 and 2222, before the 360 bridge. the two bedroom/2 bath corner apts that have views are awesome -you have views as nice as the big mansions out there and they're only like $800/month. but, i don't like the location as much - seems a little out of the way to me, even though it's probably only about 5 miles from mopac and the arboretum. depends on wht you're looking for, i guess.
    PM with questions

27. RRS2002

RRS2002 Guest

28. happy fun ball

happy fun ball 100+ Posts

My year at the St. Croix was just about the most fun I ever had in my life. Of course that year was 1988.

29. Diamondback

Diamondback 25+ Posts

Guess I'll have to check out the Great Hills Village too.

30. natethehorn

natethehorn 100+ Posts