Best BBQ in Austin?

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by Texas97, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Texas97

Texas97 500+ Posts

gotta go with john mueller's off manor. their brisket is the best in town and their turkey and pork loin are awesome. i had their beef ribs when they 1st opened and it was excellent but they don't always serve it. i prefer pork ribs and those were good but not the best i have had.

that said, there really isn't great bbq in austin anyway. county line is all show. iron works has a couple of good things but they use gas and i'm not a fan of gas. rudy's is probably my 2nd favorite and that is impressive considering they are a chain. but they cook the meat good.

other than that, it seems that i have to go to lockhart for good bbq.

one knock on muellers is that their sauce is very greasy and not impressive. good bbq doesn't need sauce so i usually just eat the meat plain but when i have tried the bbq sauce i haven't been impressed. regardless, the brisket more than makes up for it. their brisket can compete with anyone's brisket in my book.

Texas97

2. orngbld

orngbld 100+ Posts

Have you never been to Sam's? Geez.

3. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

4. bobby78751

bobby78751 25+ Posts

I used to think the pork ribs at Ruby Tuesday's were the best...well, that is until I went to Houston's at Burnet and Anderson. Now, THOSE are great pork ribs!

5. Texas97

Texas97 500+ Posts

i've been to sam's in east austin a couple of times. it is good, but not great IMHO. i like the meat at john muellers alot better.

there is a bert's across the street where i work and another one not far from where i live and i got there every once in a while. good food but it just seems that other than muellers and maybe rudy's, i have to go out of austin for good bbq.

anyone been to house park bbq? i never have...
    never been to ben's long branch either.

Texas97

6. I live near to both Sams and Muellers. I like them both. I give Muellers the nod for having slightly better BBQ all around and Sams for being open late to satisfy my hunger after partying. They both have a niche and I love 'em both. If you guys have not tried Mueller's..go!

7. Texas97

Texas97 500+ Posts

muellers used to have all-you-can-eat on saturdays for like $12. that's hard to beat. that said, i am always full when i leave anyway but at least with the all-you-can-eat, you can try all of their meats.

i went there with some friends before the Texas/Baylor saturday conference baseball game a few months ago and the bbq gave us some warmth in our belly in what turned out to be the coldest baseball game i've ever been to...

Texas97

Texas97

8. UofTOrange

UofTOrange 250+ Posts

I keep hearing that Iron Works is good. Anybody to back that up?
    The two best places I have been in Texas are Joe's in Alvin, TX, where you can eat at the same place as Nolan Ryan every Wed, or at least you used to be able to. And this little meat shop in Gonzales, TX that has the best sausage in the entire world.

9. Hungry Horn

Hungry Horn < 25 Posts

Iron Works is not bad. I went to House Park a couple of months ago and was slightly disappointed. I think Mueller's is very good and have gone several times recently.

10. WilliamWallace

WilliamWallace 25+ Posts

Is the Salt Lick still around?

11. orngbld

orngbld 100+ Posts

Yes, the Salt Lick is still around.

Yes, it's a fun place to go with a group of friends.

No, the bbq isn't that good. The sauce is nice, the ribs are very good, brisket is adequate, sausage is weak.

12. orngbld

orngbld 100+ Posts

AND -- a pretty good list of AUSTIN (not going outside the city) bbq restaurants, with my grade:

Meuller's: A- (good brisket, turkey, awesome potato salad -- and I usually think sides are worthless)
    Sam's: A (great brisket, sausage, and mutton)
    House Park: B+ (solid brisket and sausage)
    Green Mesquite: B+ (been a long time since I've been there, though -- recall pork ribs as standout)
    Bert's: B (but gets a higher grade for the Turbo T-man)
    Rudy's: C (good St. Louis ribs and turkey, brisket is adequate but overspiced, sausage sucks)
    The Pit (Burnet location): B- (a decent neighborhood joint -- sausage could be better)
    Bill Miller's: C- (everything is just average to below average -- nothing standout)
    County Line: B- (highest mark is for nicer atmosphere for fussy guests, and good beef ribs)
    Iron Works: B+ (good beef ribs, decent brisket, adequate everything else)
    Bongo BBQ: C+ (surprisingly great sausage --everything else average)

Haven't tried:

Ruby's
    Artz rib house (I know, I know -- I've tried to go a couple of times and it was closed)

Places that serve bbq, but aren't bbq joints:

Hoovers (has the best bbq chicken around -- I'm serious).

Surely I've missed a few -- there are plenty of little strip mall type places that are local, neighborhood joints. Some of them are pretty good, some are just average.

13. WilliamWallace

WilliamWallace 25+ Posts

orngbld-thanks for the info re Salt Lick.

I agree totally, btw. I just haven't been out that way in ten years or so and didn't know if it was still there.

14. VUHorn

VUHorn < 25 Posts

Anybody know anything about BBQ World Headquarters on Burnet??

15. Bevo_buddy

Bevo_buddy Guest

What about Stubbs? Anybody eaten there? All I've ever done is seen bands there and consumed alcohol. What about the food?

16. utstudboy

utstudboy 250+ Posts

Stubbs sauce is good
    pork ribs are good
    serrano spinach is awesome

17. VUhorn--That place in the farmer's market on Burnet is pretty good. Not well known but a good in-town spot. The sides are pedestrian (ranch style beans from the can) but the brisket has always been good. Plus nice folks working there. Not much room to sit down, mostly a place to pick up and go.

Just found out Berts on Burnet and Rundberg shut down. That was my lunch time spot. Anyone know any places nearby (further west) that is decent?

18. VUHorn

VUHorn < 25 Posts

Thanks DIMYH.

I can get sides from Hoover's. I will try it out.

19. Texas97

Texas97 500+ Posts

you're kidding about berts??? i am a grad student at the research center and we would go there when we don't go to muellers. at least the one on far west is still open.

Texas97

20. SizzleChest

SizzleChest 25+ Posts

Salt Lick gets a lot of ribbing )pun intended), but I could survive on their pork ribs and sauce forever. I live reasonably close, so it's not bad. I try to go during the week. Weekends there are terrible.

My current fave is the market in Luling - best I've had in quite some time. If you have never been there, it's about 30 or so minutes from San Marcos. Definitely worth the trip. You can get the wife or GF to go with by tantalizing them with the opportunity to shop in the various farmer's markets in Luling.

I had some pork ribs at Artz this weekend that were wonderful. The sauce and brisket were pretty off, however.

21. TexasUFO

TexasUFO 25+ Posts

"ARTZ RIB HOUSE" on South Lamar has the best ribs I have ever eaten anywhere (Houston's Baby Backs are my 2nd favorite). I think Artz Rib House has been around since 1985. I was long gone from UT when it came on the Austin BBQ scene. I discovered it about 5 years ago reading a hill country BBQ book at my brother's in Georgetown. Boy am I glad I read the book. Horn fans save yourself a long drive. This is the REAL DEAL. The "baby backs" and the country style" ribs are the best anywhere. I have taken a number of friends to this rib mecca, and every person to a "T" has said the best ribs they have ever had.They have other types of ribs and BBQ I have never tried. Entertainment 3-4 nights a week. My son is at UT and we eat at Artz Rib House every time we are in Austin. Some of you in Austin try this place and post what you think. After trying Artz's ribs, if someone can tell me a place better I will be forever grateful.

22. TexasUFO

TexasUFO 25+ Posts

ARTZ RIB HOUSE on South Lamar has the best ribs I have ever eaten. The "baby backs" and "country style" are incredible. Never had anything else to eat there, but for ribs....awesome.

23. hudhorn

hudhorn < 25 Posts

Anyone who thinks The Salt LIck is not that good needs to get their head out of their ***. I call total ********. I see **** like Mueller, Berts, Rudys...please give me a ******* break.

Salt LIck is TEXAS. The rest just try to copy their Daddy. Sitting in Driftwood, drinking a beer while eating great bbq. Nuff ******* said.

24. hud, I think Salt Lick is better than good BBQ but the price and all the is entangled w/ it makes it overhyped. If you are gonna drive...head out to Coopers and then, it is worth it. To stay in town, I think Mueller's has it covered...up late? better head to Sam's. Just my opinion and thank god we all have differing ones since the line to the ONE BBQ place would be too long.

25. orngbld

orngbld 100+ Posts

Jesus H. Christ, hudhorn -- have you ever actually EATEN bbq anywhere else? "Salt LIck is TEXAS. The rest just try to copy their Daddy. Sitting in Driftwood, drinking a beer while eating great bbq. Nuff ******* said."

I'm with you on the sitting around drinking beer part -- that is Salt Lick's strength. It AIN'T their bbq.

The rest try to copy their daddy? ****. Places like Meuller's in Taylor, Kreuz's in Lockhart, and Cooper's were around LONG before Salt Lick was even a dream -- and they ALL serve better meat.

Don't go mistaking atmosphere for quality food. Salt Lick has a great atmosphere (and pretty damned good ribs) -- but their cue leaves a lot to be desired. I will do a blind taste test with you -- Salt Lick brisket up against brisket from Sam's, Meuller's, and Bert's -- Salt Lick will come in last. Same with the sausage.

It's ALL ABOUT THE MEAT. Everything else is just details.

26. 84Horn

84Horn < 25 Posts

Salt Lick is by far the best in and around Austin. Hands down.

27. orngbld

orngbld 100+ Posts

"Salt Lick is by far the best in and around Austin. Hands down."

In a related story, 84Horn has declared Olive Garden to be the premiere eye-talian restaurant in the country.

Geezis. Have you ever actually EATEN the brisket and sausage at Salt Lick, and at say, Sam's, or Meuller's, or Bert's?

28. Texas97

Texas97 500+ Posts

i love going to the salt lick, but the bbq isn't as good as it is at coopers or muellers.

i do really like the ribs at salt lick though. the sad thing is the quality of the brisket after a few plates have come. it gets fatty and bad fast. definitely get the brisket first and stick to the ribs for the rest of the time.

Texas97

29. Is Salt Lick even considered being in Austin? I have a feeling they don't pay Austin city taxes, therefore, should not be discussed on this thread, right? So in Austin we stay.

If we venture out of Austin, Salt Lick is lucky to come in third after Coopers and Kreuze's and who knows what else. If someone pays my way I will go to Salt Lick but not on my own dime. Beer is good just about anywhere. If I want atmosphere I will go to space.

30. Texas97

Texas97 500+ Posts

the turkey at john mueller's is about 10 times better than the turkey at rudy's. and the turkey at rudy's is pretty good.

Texas97