Best BBQ in Austin?

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by Texas97, Jun 12, 2002.

1. PabTexas

PabTexas 250+ Posts

Artz Rib House
    Sam's
    Rudy's
    Salt Lick
    Green Mesquite

I miss that food...

2. rksg1

rksg1 100+ Posts

The place that really suprised me the most was the Green Mesquite.
    They have REALLY good food, and not just bbq.
    I have only been to the one in Oak Hill (at the Y) but that place was a very pleasant suprise.

3. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

The new Texas Monthly (May 2003) has reissued their Top 50 BBQ joints. Cooper's in Mason (yes, Mason) makes the top 5, as does Kreuz Market (Lockhart), Louie Mueller (Taylor), City Market (Luling), and Smitty's Market (Lockhart). Cooper's in Llano barely makes the top 50 (trying to feed the masses that were a result of the fame generated from the original Top 50 list has hurt the consistency).

In Austin, BBQ World Headquarters (rating=4) and John Mueller's (rating 4.5) both make the Top 50. House Park Bar-B-Que gets an honorable mention. County Line and Rudy's both get mention as chains worth a visit.

In San Antonio, Bar-B-Que Patio makes the cut. I'm on my way there today to see for myself.

If you don't subscribe to TM, or don't regularly buy it, you'll want to get this one and schedule some road trips.

4. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

Here's the skinny on Bar-B-Q Patio.

Mrs. idig and I had some of the pork ribs, brisket, sausage, hot links, and hot hot links. The dinner platter comes with 2 sides. Between the 2 of us, we tried the "tater salad," green beans, and baked beans.

In short, everything we tried was great. Usually, a quality barbeque joint will have a specialty or 3, and few mediocre items to round out the menu. Some places consider sides an afterthought. Not here. There was not a weak item in the bunch.

There are 2 tangy and moderately thick sauces from which to choose. One has an extra kick, but you don't need either.

Strangely, this place is located right next to Rachel's Country Corner. Rachel's made the news yesterday when a captive buffalo killed its handler. Rachel actually came into the Patio while we were eating to pick up some lunch. We weren't trying to listen, but she apparently was having difficulty coping with the accident. When seeing the news story, my wife and I both wondered where it was, then today, we found ourselves right there. Strange.

5. TR_Horn

TR_Horn 25+ Posts

Here's a place that's a hole in the wall but has truly great BBQ: Mann's. It's across from Target off 183, close to Ohlen. Try the chicken, brisket, sausage or turkey - great stuff and very friendly staff.

6. Texas97

Texas97 500+ Posts

a few of us have been considering a long lunch drive to elgin. what should we go to there if only one?

Texas97

7. HookEmDave

HookEmDave < 25 Posts

I agree with Puddle/Cruiser. Salt Lick is my favorite place in and around Austin. It may just be the sauce, but the meat is also very tender and you can't beat the all you can eat.

8. theropods

theropods 250+ Posts

What would dinner for 4 involving beef ribs and loads of brisket cost at Coopers versus Kreuz Market? I love Muellers. Is it that much better than Muellers to merit the drive?

9. chance johnson

chance johnson 100+ Posts

You guys think Smitty hates Kruez?

10. Texas97

Texas97 500+ Posts

i went to taylor for some louie muellers on a long lunch on wednesday. their brisket is the best i have ever had. slightly better than the brisket at john muellers. wow. i had the jalepeno stuffed sausage as well and that was excellent. definitely worth the drive on a nice day.

Texas97

11. orngbld

orngbld 100+ Posts

Had House Park at lunch today.

Brisket is solid, standard brisket. Tasty and tender.

Sausage is near the tops in Austin (although I prefer Sam's).

Tried the pork loin. Tasty and tender, but pork loin is generally too bland for my tastes.

Sides are very ho-hum. Edible, but not outstanding.

House Park's strength is their brisket, followed by damn fine sausage. I wish they were open later -- I'd pick some up on the way home for dinner.

12. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

Went to City Market in Luling on Saturday. It was good, but I was expecting better from a Top 5 (Texas Monthly).

I had pork ribs, brisket, and sausage. The ribs were decent quality, but not overly flavorful unless sauced. The brisket was starting to dry out by the time I got to my table, but it was moderately tasty. The sausage has a crumbly texture and is on the mild side, but it has a good flavor.

The sauce has a honey mustard thing going on, but I try not to factor in sauce when judging barbeque.

Perhaps the weekend is not the best time to judge a barbeque joint, but it's hard to get away during the week. I'd go there again, but I think I'll try Luling BBQ next time (it's a Top 50), or go on up to Lockhart.

13. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

14. Gardner Barnes

Gardner Barnes 250+ Posts

You guys really need to try Big Daddy's BBQ on 183. It is a little hole in the wall on the northbound service road past Bone Daddy's.

It is damn good adn the b-fast tacos are fantastic.

15. Samanai

Samanai 25+ Posts

Here's that Texas Monthly article: The Link

16. PUT_SIMMS_IN

PUT_SIMMS_IN 100+ Posts

I tried Artz Rib House yesterday for the first time. I got the three meat plate and am sad to say that I understand why they call it a rib house. I got babyback pork ribs, brisket and sausage. Here is what I thought of all of the courses...

Ribs: Great flavor and they fall off the bone. My buddy got babybacks, country style pork ribs and beef ribs so I tried a little of all of them and all were very tasty.

Brisket: Way too dry. I am even a fan of lean brisket moreso than really moist, but I could damn near hear their briket crunching as I ate it. Very little flavor also.

Sausage: Horrible! For anyone who complains about The Salt Lick's Sausage, try Artz. It was tough and had very little taste. I guess that is what sucks about growing up on Lockhart sausage.

Sauce: Pretty damn good except I had to ask for more because they brought it out in a thimble.

Beans: Good spicy taste but not very robust. Just a tad bland.

Potato salad: There was no taste. I have never had PS so bland.

Salad or cole slaw?: Not sure what it was but I don't like either one served with Q.

Pickle: Must have been the last one in the jar. Man was it flexible.

Beer: Miller Lite in a bottle. Great.

Atmosphere: They had a few folks in the back playing some music. A little old fashioned folk music with a bass and a fiddle is never bad but they must have been just practicing because I wanted them to play louder.

All in all it was not bad but next time I go with the three types of ribs.

17. Texas97

Texas97 500+ Posts

went to kreuz for lunch yesterday. i have been many times. the pork chop is the best i have ever had. in a post above (although almost 3 years ago), i said the pork chop at john muellers is the best. it isn't. the best pork chop is kreuz, then coopers in llano, then john muellers. also had the beef shoulder at kreuz. good stuff.

best brisket i have had is city market in luling and louie muellers in taylor. best sausage is kreuz.

best overall, IMHO, is kreuz. and i have been to luling city market, schmitty's, coopers, both muellers.........

18. Texas97

Texas97 500+ Posts

went to ben's long branch bbq for lunch today. got 1/3 pound brisket, 1/3 pound pork butt.

they were good, but i think rudy's is better.

i was going to go to sam's instead but drove by and it looked like that place has gone downhill quite a bit in the last 3 years. i mean, i didn't even stop, just drove by.

19. UberHorn

UberHorn 25+ Posts

for barbecue my faves are:

1. Kreuz
    2. Luling City Market
    3. Everyone else

20. FAST FRED

FAST FRED 500+ Posts

Opie's BBQ off 71 in Spicewood on the way to Marble Falls.

Hard 8 BBQ on 71/87 on the south side of Brady.

Both set up like Cooper's, you pick your meat out of the pit and then go inside.

Not in Austin, but worthwhile if you're in those areas

.[​IMG]

21. Texas007

Texas007 1,000+ Posts

I have been to Kruez's several times, but I personally prefer Smitty's. I think their ribs, chops, brisket, and sausage are all better than Kruez's. I too like Salt Lick, and go there any chance I get. It isn't anywhere near Smitty's, or Kruez's but that is fine. I still love the place.