Best BBQ in Houston???

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by chgotex, Mar 13, 2001.

1. chgotex

chgotex < 25 Posts

know it's the wrong board, probably gets the most hits...any names? thanks and sorry.

2. '89 Horn

'89 Horn < 25 Posts

You'll probably get a lot of different responses....

My favorite is Goode & Co. on Kirby. There is one on 1-10 West (around Campbell or Voss I think), which is just as good, but the one on Kirby is a true old-fashioned BBQ stand, you know, with the steel coolers full of beer as you go through the line.

Hook Em

Who's tryin' to steal your horse.

3. HoustonHorn

HoustonHorn 250+ Posts

Pizzatollas (sp?) is very good, on Shepherd I believe, just off I-10.

Otto's is pretty damn good also - Memorial inside the loop

There are others...but those are my favorite two.

Edited by HoustonHorn on 3/14/01 10:03 AM.

4. hornFANtastic

hornFANtastic 100+ Posts

Goode Company on Kirby. Get sliced anything on jalapeno cheesebread. It's outstanding.

Hook'em Horns.

5. greggym

greggym < 25 Posts

Sammy Greene's on Alameda if its still there.

6. BeanosFourthChin

BeanosFourthChin < 25 Posts

Another vote for either of the Goode Co. Locations.

7. HoustonHorn

HoustonHorn 250+ Posts

Maybe I need to give Goode Co. another try with all of these responses. I've been to the one on 1-10, and it was ok, but nothing special. I'll try the one on Kirby.

Also, Luling City Market (Richmond) and Bakers Ribs (Voss) are pretty good.

8. random

random First Time Poster

No, doubt it's Goode Company. Luling City Market is a close second.

I like Pizzatola's but I usually order takeout because its difficult for me to enjoy lunch under the Aggie Wall of Fame. It's not a very big wall but it can ruin this longhorn's appetite.

Hook 'em
    Random

9. WTexasHorn

WTexasHorn < 25 Posts

I have to go with Goode as well. As far as chains...I'd have to go with Papas.

--------------------------
    On Earth as it is in Texas

10. Gus McCrea

Gus McCrea 25+ Posts

another vote for Goode co on Kirby. got take out from there (again) this past Sat night

Goode Co Seafood is fabulous too

"To hell with them fellas. Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms."

11. Shevis Irons

Shevis Irons < 25 Posts

Since Clyde is a friend of mine, I'd say Drexler's on Dowling St. However, that being said, I eat @ Goode Co. on Kirby once a week! Hafta, it's just that Goode :- ) Neither is as good as Angelo's in Ft. Worth.

12. Shevis Irons

Shevis Irons < 25 Posts

BTW, avoid Luther's. Very inconsistant, can be really dry sometimes.

13. Mariano

Mariano < 25 Posts

Luling is damn good. Goode company is also up there. But I believe the best BBQ is from the Taco Bus off of 2920. If any of you have seen it, you know what I am talking about, or writing about in this case.

Everyone has a photographic memory, some people just don't have film.

14. ReidRader

ReidRader First Time Poster

Williams Family BBQ at Ella and Tidwell is the best in town...ribs and sausage kick butt...

Where is that Taco truck on 2920???

15. ticket

ticket < 25 Posts

Goode Company (either location) and Luling City Market ( on Richmond are my two regular stops. Pizzitola's is good too, although I've only had it via delivery. If I knew about that Aggie Wall of Fame, I probably would have passed.

Whoever said Otto's BBQ was good needs to have their tastebud's checked. I'll never understand how anyone can walk right past the best hamburgers in Houston (Otto's Super Buger) to eat that crap they serve at the BBQ joint. Yuck.

bpe3

16. Earp

Earp < 25 Posts

I didn't realize how hungry I'd get by clicking on this thread.

17. HoustonHorn

HoustonHorn 250+ Posts

Ticket

I said Otto's - I'm a fan...I realize not everybody likes Otto's but there are lots who do - I guess its kind of a love it or hate it type joint...but as far as the burgers...

if the question was where are the best burgers in town, I would have definitely said Otto's and Cliff's (Fountainview - I've never been to the others).

18. jnecakes

jnecakes Guest

Unfortunately, the best BBQ in Houston is actually found in Temple, at Clem Mikeska's.

Cakes

"I was not aware that we had ever quarreled." ---- Thoreau, nearing death, when asked if had made his peace with God.

19. Mack Tripper

Mack Tripper 500+ Posts

I ate at Otto's yesterday and it was very good as always, but its just as hard for me to have to look at the Bush family wall of fame as it is for Random to look at the aggie crap at Pizzatola's. Pizzatola's and Goode Co. are my other two favorites. Drexler's and Luther's are not very good.

"Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane."--Red

20. HoustoNole

HoustoNole 25+ Posts

Goode Co. hands down...

Best damn BBQ chicken I ever have...

Never been to the one on Kriby, I go to the I-10 one...

"She's been backended more times than a Ford Pinto..."

Triumph

21. tjhorn

tjhorn Guest

the sausage at Luling City Market is terrible, but everything else is really good.

22. lnester

lnester 25+ Posts

Cakes, are you drunk?? Mikeska's sucks so bad, I wouldn't feed it to aggies...

The best is probably Goode Co. A close second is on Voss, just north of Westheimer. I forget the name, but it has a big pink pig out front. Real good BBQ in there...

"What left a mark no longer stings, because grace makes beauty out of ugly things..." - Bono, All That You Can't Leave Behind

23. HoustonHorn

HoustonHorn 250+ Posts

Inester

That's Baker's Ribs...and it is very good.

24. jnecakes

jnecakes Guest

Inester, absolutely not. Clem is the only one I know who uses sirloin for his meat, instead of brisket. I served a slew of his stuff up at a gathering of friends just a couple of weeks ago --- including a couple of friends who work at the Half Price Books down in Rice Village, just a few blocks from Goode & Co., and they all agreed it was the best they've had. Not only that, but Clem has catered the White House and several big functions of Marvin Leath's, so I think he's got a pretty good reputation. Are you sure you're not thinking of his brother Rudy, in Taylor? That was an extremely disappointing experience. Clem's brother Jerry, down in Columbus, serves some pretty good stuff, though.

Cakes

"I was not aware that we had ever quarreled." ---- Thoreau, nearing death, when asked if had made his peace with God.

25. KatyKid

KatyKid 25+ Posts

Drive out I-10 to Brookshire, hang a left to Fulshear, and getya some a that Dozier's BarBQ. Awesome! And take home some of that pecan smoked bacon for later.
    Mack T, my favorite part of Otto's is that Bush family wall. Awesome!

Longhorns & Katy Tigers - No Place But Texas

26. Orangeblood

Orangeblood 1,000+ Posts

Luling and Goode are definitely the best.

And I think Luling is better because I think their sausage is awesome. I usually eat brisket and ribs and NOT sausage. But not there. Their sausage is the best around for me. Eh, to each his own.

27. Capn Crunch

Capn Crunch < 25 Posts

Grand Prize-Texas City. I know this is not in Houston, but the sandwiches are worth the stop. There is one in Clear lake as well, but I have heard it is not nearly as good as the TC. I have never been to Goodes, sounds like I need to.

28. HORNINTHEUSA

HORNINTHEUSA 25+ Posts

If you like ribs, Pizzitola's is the absolute best. I-10 @ Shepard next to Haufbrau. Jerry Pizzitola and his entire family are aggies. I rode him pretty hard after T+1 this past year. Excellent food.

"You can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen." - L. Trevino

29. Mariano

Mariano < 25 Posts

Katy Kid,
    Amen on Dozier's. My Dad and old man Dozier were good friends. We were eating there one time and the old man was drinking milk on a saturday afternoon and my dad asked him about it. He said, the milk is for my ulser, the scotch is for my wife. Pretty funny stuff. I have never seen anyone else drink something like that.

Everyone has a photographic memory, some people just don't have film.

30. Turn the page, Fred

Turn the page, Fred < 25 Posts

Goode Co. is the best in the city, but I think Hinze's is better. There's one in Sealy a stone's throw from I-10, and there's another in the Wharton/El Campo area on 59 South.

If you go to Goode Co., skip the beans/potato salad and get an extra scoop of the rice. It is unlike anything else on this planet.