Best BBQ in Houston???

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by chgotex, Mar 13, 2001.

1. greggym

greggym < 25 Posts

muggy, thanks for backing me up on Greene's.My dad was good friends with them and I remember eating there over 30 years ago.

2. PennHORN

PennHORN 25+ Posts

Having grown up in Houston, I did not know what good bbq was until I came up to Austin for law school. Salt Lick, Sam's, and Rudy's are my favorites here in town. I grew up with Luther's BBQ and I have always thought to be a great place to go for lunch. I have always loved their chopped beef sandwiches and their bbq sauce, which is often the deal breaker at most places, is a little above average and does not take away from the flavor of the meat.

Luther's has the BEST BEANS in TEXAS or anywhere else for that matter. I have never had any as good as that place. Another good thing about Luther's is they have many locations with their best being their downtown and I-10 and Gessner locations. BTW, Pappas BBQ downtown (used to be called the Brisket House) near the Pierce Elevated is one of my favorites in H-town also.

Mikeska's in Columbus SUCKS hard and was a huge disappointment.

When reporters asked Bum if he was concerned about Earl Campbell always getting up slow from the
    bottom of a pile, Bum said "No, he goes down slow too!"

3. Dead Kitten

Dead Kitten < 25 Posts

Find your way to 290.

Go West.

Drive to Austin.

Stop when you see the sign for BERT'S.

EAT A ******* T-MAN!

HOUSTON SUCKS.

----------------------------------
    Rock over London. Rock on Chicago.

4. Gus McCrea

Gus McCrea 25+ Posts

TTPFRED--
    You are right about Hinze's. I had only eaten there once before, but i stopped on the way to the Spring game. It was so good, I stopped in again on the way home for take out.
    Pecan smoked.mmmmmm good. can't get that most places.

"To hell with them fellas. Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms."
    Edited by Gus McCrea on 4/9/01 05:13 PM.

5. lnester

lnester 25+ Posts

Well, after heading up to Llano this weekend specifically to eat some BBQ...I have to AGAIN conclude that Cooper's is the best BBQ in the state. Which, by default, makes it the best in the country.

"What left a mark no longer stings, because grace makes beauty out of ugly things..." - Bono, All That You Can't Leave Behind

6. LastTimePoster

LastTimePoster < 25 Posts

I had Otto's yesterday, and it sucked.

Goode Co is still #1, a year and a half later...

7. DDab

DDab First Time Poster

There just isn't a consistant BBQ joint in Houston. I've tried them all. In sales and on the road all week long, you find time to hit the good and the bad. If I had to pick the best Q (closest to town) I agree with the Katy Kid, Dozier's in Fulshear ain't too shabby. Get the hell back to the Hill Country for good Q. On the way out 290, stop in Giddings City Market. Ribs to die for!

8. frieghtrain

frieghtrain First Time Poster

Goode Company both locations are incredible. Anything you order is hella good.

9. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

Goode is tits.

10. TexasUFO

TexasUFO 25+ Posts

Luling City on Richmond and Houston BBQ (recent spin off from Luling) on Eldridge have the best sausage and turkey I have had anywhere. Brisket is also excellent, but no better than Goode company. For a BBQ sandwich Goode Co. is my favorite on jalepeno cheese bread or an onion roll. Goode Company has duck, pork, etc. that Luling City and Houston BBQ don't have. I have not had ribs that knocked my socks off in Houston, so i save my rib eating for trips to Artz's Rib house in Austin.

11. Texas007

Texas007 1,000+ Posts

I like Goode Co, Luling, and Bakers Ribs. However I went to a place today in downtown that I think absolutely kicks ***. It is called Thelma's. It is on Live Oak and Lamar. It is out past MInute Maid Park. PRetty scary part of town, very scary little shack is the restaurant, but damn the brisket and ribs were awesome! Sides of pinto beans and dirty rice were good, but damn the brisket add ribs were awesome. DId I mention that the brisket and ribs were awesome? GIve this place a try for lunch someitme. I would not go there after dark.

12. big_longhorn

big_longhorn < 25 Posts

Actually, Thelma's was a lot better just two weeks ago, before all Hell broke loose.

I've been going since last summer, and hope she can recover soon.

If you think it's good now, you should have tasted it before the inter-national
    publicity avalanche...

13. burdine88

burdine88 25+ Posts

Luling, Goode & Co, and Baker's Ribs are the best I've found.

I've always thought that bringing better BBQ to Houston would be a good money maker for some smart guy with some capital.

14. Benson_Wins

Benson_Wins < 25 Posts

Ok here it is from a 300 pound native Houstonian. The best sandwich is not found in Houston it is sold at the intersection of FM 2004 and FM 471 just north of Sargent. Why, the people that own it work in it and if they cant the place is closed. You drink your own beer and they let you sit on the tailgate of your truck while you do. There are no AC's and if they run out of onions than you might cut them up yourself if you're not careful. You will smell like smoke if you dont get it to go.

The best ribs? I havent found a recipie in Houston that I would pay for and for that matter I dont think I have ever bought ribs, in a restruant I considered any good. If you must eat ribs the aforementioned Goode Co. will be fine. I have a friend Mark that delivers baby backs almost at will with a three day notice that I should pay for.

Brisket? Yeah, ok if that is what it takes for you to have Bar-B-Que than most place that arent chains wtih the exception off Goode Co. (meaning theirs is ok) should do. Wow, thats is not saying that they are all equal but, if your buisness is bar-B-Que than your brisket is edible hopefully.

Chicken is in my mind the bench mark of any BBQ Joint. There used to be a place on Fuqa between Almeda and South Post Oak that had decent chicken. That is about it about chicken.

Sauce? Yeah, realize that most place have to serve a varying number of plates or sandwiches a day. With that the sauce they serve would not be as good as you or I could make on a given Sat or Sun at the house. So if is red and doesnet taste like Catch-up I will probably eat it.

Desert, like all things the less the have to make probably the better. In my mind, pie should have a flakey crust and pieces of differing sizes and more than just pecan and (insert flavor) merainge.

Bar-B-Que is an art. Its is an expresion of love and an unattainable goal at times. If I eat out and eat BBQ it is because someone else "craves" it or I dont have time to prepare it. So, in closing I love the stuff and I think that if you are going to eat it you should prepare it yourself or have it prepared by someone you know. No matter how bad the BBQ is being at the BBQ is a great idea.

I would be glad to offer my recipies and tips just PM me and i will get back to you. I have great ideas for everything from bread to pies to beans and rub, beer can chickens and wings to brisket and vinison. I cook all of the time and usually for large groups (10-120 people) at my own home and would love to share any and everthing I can. I would love to talk about it. I also have suggestions for bars for parties and what to cook when for who. All advice is free! Hope to hear from you all! I typed ya'll and it just didnt look right so thats why I have been using you all............

m/ Hook'Em