Best BBQ in Texas?

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by HookemHrns03, Dec 23, 2006.

1. rockinruthman

rockinruthman < 25 Posts

Novosad's in Hallettsville deserves mention. Upon request, they will grudgingly drizzle a small amount of sauce on your dinner.

2. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

3. horninSA

horninSA 25+ Posts

4. EDGAAA

EDGAAA 100+ Posts

not the best in texas but the turbo at berts sounds really really good.

5. ShadowNinja

ShadowNinja 100+ Posts

Sam's BBQ on 12th is pretty solid

6. jimmy neeyg

jimmy neeyg < 25 Posts

Sam's is tasty but I haven't been there in a long time.

I've had good and bad experiences at Cooper's. You need to get there early for good meat. Otherwise, go to Brother's in Llano, same style but better quality.

Opie's in Spicewood I here is good, but haven't gone there yet.

Inmans in Marble Falls and Peete's Mesquite aren't too bad either

Spyke's in Kingsland tasty

I love the sauce at Salt Lick but their sides suck

Black's and Kruez's my original favorites

7. jimmy neeyg

jimmy neeyg < 25 Posts

Oh yeah, Ken's Catfish in Marble Falls when they have BBQ.

8. Dogbert

Dogbert 500+ Posts

My favs:

Louie Mueller's - Taylor
    Black's - Lockhart
    Big Oak - Buda

9. russwm

russwm 25+ Posts

McBee's barbecue in Pleasanton is very good. Unusual to find such good barbecue south of San Antonio.

10. huge

huge 250+ Posts

i had coopers for the first time recently

it was very good. i had brisket and pork ribs. i had a bite of a pork chop and it was dry. seems that is what they are known for?

11. naes921

naes921 Guest

smokehous bbq in lindsay, tx.

they have a second location in gainesville and it's alright. but gainesville folks drive the 5 minutes to lindsay to get the original.

12. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

Southwest Market in San Marcos ain't half bad. The pit man used to work at Smitty's in Lockhart. They have a smoked prime rib that is allsome.
    It's on Hunter Rd. on the back way to Gruene.
    And it's light years better than the other San Marcos offering, which is Fuschak's. Only decent offering there is their BBQ burrito.

13. Hornius Emeritus

Hornius Emeritus 2,500+ Posts

We need to have everybody get together, bring about two pounds of their favorite sliced beef, have a blind taste test, and put this matter to rest once and for all.

14. elguapo

elguapo 250+ Posts

City Market in Luling

15. riloh05

riloh05 100+ Posts

my .02, in no order.
    joes bbq- alvin (ribs)
    joels- flatonia (beef jerky)
    central market- pearland (chicken)
    hicory hollow-houston
    goode co-houston
    pasadena rodeo cook-off
    houston rodeo cook-off

16. longhrnfan

longhrnfan 500+ Posts

i still love rudys and sams

17. Wesser

Wesser 1,000+ Posts

City Market in Luling is the best ever. Cooper's in Llano has gone downhill in recent years. There was a dispute amongst the family members that own it and for whatever reason the food suffered (don't know who left). A related joint is also called Coopers, but is in Mason. It is owned by members of the same family, but is not directly connected to the Llano establishment. To me this tastes more like the old Coopers.

18. TxTower

TxTower 25+ Posts

Railhead - Ft. Worth

19. pevodog

pevodog 1,000+ Posts

New ZIon Missionary Baptist Church in Huntsville is definitely worth stopping at when traveling on I 45. Nothing fancy, but some damn good BBQ.

20. Brisketexan

Brisketexan 1,000+ Posts

Pork ribs -- Country Tavern in Kilgore (nothing I've had even comes close).
    Brisket -- mine ( [​IMG] ), Louis Meuller's, Cooper's (I have NEVER had a bad experience, but enough people have said they have that I think there must be something to it. Still, when Cooper's is ON, they're ON), Luling City Mkt.
    Sausage -- Luling, Kreuz's, some little damn joint in Groesbeck (I forget the name -- dammit)
    Chop -- Cooper's (don't get it too big -- the smaller ones are more moist); Kreuz's
    Chicken -- Hoover's. Yes, Hoover's. I haven't had better anywhere.

21. elguapo

elguapo 250+ Posts

22. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

Country Tavern it is, for ribs. I love that place.

23. hookem2102

hookem2102 250+ Posts

The brisket my buddy makes at tailgates is the best I've ever had.

Is there any good bbq brisket in Dallas ? I was never the impressed by Sonny Bryans.

24. Wesser

Wesser 1,000+ Posts

I live in Dallas, and I am unimpressed by any of the BBQ in the city. Drive the 30 miles to the Railhead in Ft. Worth (or the one in Colleyville). That is the best BBQ in this area. You can probably smoke a far better brisket on your own than anything you will find in Dallas. Kinda weird, eh?

25. xdipper

xdipper First Time Poster

I've eaten at Cooper's hundreds of times & only very few times was the meat dry. It is good textured & tasty. The beans are worth the trip, too. Joe Allens is very good & twice as expensive. Most of the other places mentioned are plenty good, too. Something in Elgin is really good, & you get very large servings with a family package. I stopped there once & cannot name it. Someone may help with the name.

26. MulletHorn

MulletHorn 100+ Posts

27. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

i wonder how many pages this thread will go to. i hope a lot. i've already got a couple new places to make road trips to. i have heard many people talk about country tavern and i love ribs but damn kilgore, that is far and there is really nothing that takes me to east texas.

a couple of posters have brought up a good point in that it is very difficult to say "best bbq" in texas b/c different places excel at different things. I think i'll make some road trips for follow up and break it down for a personal "best" by category. that will be a fun endeavor. luckily i have to drive out to burnet next week for work so thats a good excuse to hit a couple different places again on my ... "way back" to the office

28. WildWillie

WildWillie < 25 Posts

How about a different City Market? Not the one on Luling, but City Market in Schulenburg. Only on Saturdays, though, and you better be there before noon-thirty.

BTW, if you can find a Super S grocery, buy some City Market (Schulenburg) sausage. It's the best and beats that Meyer's crap hands down.

29. C-Man

C-Man 250+ Posts

30. handcruser

handcruser 25+ Posts

no offense, but possting goode and co on a thread titled "best bbg in texas" is grounds to get shot.

luling city market is my top choice.
    country tavern on 21 near kilgore has ribs that are out of this world too.

hmmm, off to luling i go.