Best Cover Songs of All Time

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by Alex_de_Large, Aug 25, 2010.

1. ths71

ths71 100+ Posts

One of my favorites-Coucteau Twins live cover of a Tim Buckley classic:Link

2. celis

celis 250+ Posts

Tainted Love by Soft Cell
    Nothing Compares 2 U
    After Midnight

3. TRRW#31

TRRW#31 250+ Posts

Aerosmith - Come Together

4. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

Krokus- Ballroom Blitz

5. buckhorn

buckhorn 1,000+ Posts

Joan Jett covering Gary Glitter's 'Do You Want to Touch Me' -- Such a great song, such a wonderfully transparent ode to perversion.

The Damned always did fun covers: Ballroom Blitz (Sweet), The Citadel (Stones), White Rabbit (Jeff Air).

Similarly, The Dickies were jokester kings of the cover with two absolute classics, 'The Banana Splits Theme,' and the theme to 'Gigantor.' They also did 'Paranoid' (Sabb) and 'Knights in White Satin' (Moody Blues).

Speaking of Yo La Du, Husker Du did some good covers all those years ago: 'Sunshine Superman' by Donovan and 'Eight Miles High' by the Byrds. That's how we figured out that, at heart, they wanted to be the Fairport Convention.

BTW, Yo La Du, I don't recall Bauhaus covering 'Lucifer Sam,' though they should have, and perhaps did while I was not looking. I do recall them doing a well worn version of T.Rex's 'Telegram Sam.' OK -- it comes to me, Lucifer Sam, the zion cat, was worked over by Love and Rockets. Never mind.

The Butthole Surfers also got in a shot on Donovan with a credible version of 'Hurdy Gurdy Man,' which is a creepy number. They also made alot of hay with the riff from Sabb's 'Sweet Leaf' in their song 'Sweat Loaf,' which, when played live, was for years brilliantly intro'd with a riff on Jim Morrison's once controversial monologue during the meandering bridge on 'The End.'

The Dead Kennedys' famous rip of 'Viva Las Vegas' remains charming all this time later.

Scratch Acid did a pretty cool rendition of Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'Damned for All Time.' Prolly getting to esoteric with that. Might as well mention Rapeman doing ZZ's 'Just Got Paid' and the theme music from the WB Looney Tune character, Inki, who was the little black kid in the prehistoric bush hunting with a spear and being followed by a black bird -- prolly a classical piece the name of which I simply do not know.

6. The Eyes of Texas

The Eyes of Texas 500+ Posts

The Sex Pistols doing God Save the Queen

7. Alex_de_Large

Alex_de_Large 1,000+ Posts

Judas Priest - The Green Manalishi with the Two-Pronged Crown.

Thought this was a Fleetwood Mac song, but its by Peter Green. Great song.

8. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

It may not be the "best" cover song, but I got a good laugh as these Japanese girls performed "Smoke on the Water"The Link

9. CottonEyedHorn

CottonEyedHorn 1,000+ Posts

10. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

The Turtles once did a completely kick *** version of "Stairway to Heaven" in French, followed up by stuff from "Flashdance" with Flo dressed up in sweats and the silly socks and frantically dancing.

11. jrotten

jrotten 25+ Posts

12. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

seriously...

Cocteau Twins - "Frosty The Snowman"

If there was ever a band to do a cover of this song it is the Cocteau Twins.. Absolutely beautiful ...

can you say shimmering?

check it out. Please. It really is beautiful.

The Link

13. Murphy'sBoy

Murphy'sBoy 1,000+ Posts

"Frosty The Snowman"
    ------------------------------------
    Try it by Fats Domino

14. CottonEyedHorn

A cover only made better by the greatness of the keytar [​IMG]

15. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

Blue Monday by New Order covered by Orgy
    The Link

George Michael's Faith covered by Limp Bizkit
    The Link

16. MAdel

MAdel < 25 Posts

Wild Night - John Mellencamp & Me'Shell Ndegeocello

She's Not There - Carlos Santana

17. elface

elface 250+ Posts

Carmelita - Flaco Jiminez

Old Five and Dimers - Waylon Jennings

18. Hornius Emeritus

Hornius Emeritus 2,500+ Posts

Stevie Wonder's amazing version of "We Can Work it Out" by the Beatles:

The Link

19. CottonEyedHorn

20. treball

treball 100+ Posts

Just a Gigolo--- DLR

21. The Eyes of Texas

The Eyes of Texas 500+ Posts

What about the Adam Archulletta (sp?) version of Imagine? (just in case it isn't obvious, I'm being sarcastic)

22. CottonEyedHorn

23. TRRW#31

TRRW#31 250+ Posts

24. CottonEyedHorn

25. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

I really like Leonard Cohen but I do think that Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah is by far the best version of that song.

Harry Nilsson - Without You

Wade Bowen's - Please Come To Boston

Paul Newman's - Plastic Jesus

Iggy Pop's - Heroin

26. HornHawk

HornHawk 250+ Posts

Um..Twist and Shout, the Beatles? Although the Isley Brothers version was pretty awesome.

27. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

Another one came to me,

Mama Cass version of "Dream a Little Dream of Me" much better then Ozzie's or the other big band ones.

28. TRRW#31

TRRW#31 250+ Posts

29. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

30. Flood

Flood 25+ Posts

David Gray's cover of Say Hello And Wave Goodbye by Soft Cell. Had never heard the Soft Cell original until today, and Gray's cover immediately struck me as the greatest cover ever because I thought Soft Cell's version was damn near unlistenable.