Best of each type of restaurant...

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by hornyhoosier, Jan 20, 2010.

1. hornyhoosier

hornyhoosier 500+ Posts

Here's the story.

I graduated in spring of 2005. Haven't been back to Austin since Summer of '05. I now live in Central Pennsylvania.

I have convinced my wife and her parents to take a week vacation near the Austin area in April. (The in-laws are using their time share thing for the resort and paying or else I would choose to vacation without them)

I'm trying to show them the best of Austin in a week.
    What are your favorites and must hits? We must visit at least one BBQ and Mexican. Father-in-law saw Salt Lick (the original) on TV and has to go there, but no problem with two BBQ's.

What say you?

2. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I say road trip to Coopers in Llano. They will love the Hill Country and great BBQ. Just about next door you can get Blizzards at DQ. They can walk around downtown (ha) Llano as well as hit up the many antique places.

3. taco

taco 250+ Posts

or Lockhart (closer) and go to Smitty's. Coopers is a nicer drive through the Hill Country

4. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

In town BBQ=Ironworks or Mann's BBQ on 183, both decent.
    For tourists, I guess Ironworks.
    Tex-Mex, maybe original Maude's on Lake Austin Boulevard, Polvos on East 1st, Matt's El Rancho (like the Salt Lick experience in a way for Tex-Mex).
    Toss in a burger and shake at Hut's one day, a chicken fried or lunch special at Hill's on South Congress, a Mexican breakfast or two, maybe at Sol y Luna. Austin experience breakfast at the Omlettry, or Trudy's.
    A few ideas for you.
    Some ideas

5. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

The BEST barbecue in Austin is Franklin's, from a trailer set up between dreamers and what used to be the crazy lady. Open from 11-4 on Wed. - Sunday. They just got 5 stars this site, which doesn't dole that out very often at all:

The Link

Owner used to work for Mueller's, BTW. He just opened very recently, and is starting get extremely popular.

6. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Will have to check this Franklin's joint out-still, it doesn't sound like the "tourist experience" place to take visitors.

7. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

I'd have to put Ruby's at the top of the "in town" list for BBQ. Also, don't discount El Patio for Tex-Mex...lots of local flavor. If you want something more upscale, try Fonda San Miguel...or try them for Sunday brunch.

[​IMG]

8. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Drat, he is already beginning to sell out before lunch is over.

9. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

10. monsterpepe

monsterpepe 25+ Posts

Brunch at Fonda San Miguel. You will not be disappointed.

11. SeaGail

SeaGail 100+ Posts

We get back to Austin now once in blue moon (from up in the Pacific NW), but Trudy's migas are always a must!!! Burger-wise, Dan's is at the top of our list (and their basic breakfasts are good too), and Matt's is a can't miss as well. Sure, we may not know the latest, but the last time we were there, all three delivered as remembered (about 3 years ago) - and we'll be back there this summer for a new grandson and FOOOOOOD!!

Gail in WA [​IMG]

12. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

where in Central Penn?

I spent quite a bit of time in York on bidness. Interesting place.

13. Texas0407

Texas0407 500+ Posts

Chick-Fil-A

14. SeaGail

SeaGail 100+ Posts

T-minus 98 days to food in Austin and San Antonio!!!

Gail in WA [​IMG]