Best Phone Cell Phone Plans?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by SomeMildLanguage, Jun 10, 2007.

1. SomeMildLanguage

SomeMildLanguage 500+ Posts

My two-year agreement is up, and I am trying to figure out what the best options are.

It seems like the options used to be a lot more attractive. You sign up for a one year plan, and you get a free phone out of it. Now, they want you to sign up for a multi-year plan, then still pay 2-3 hundred dollars for your phone.

What is the best way to go on this? Is there a good website or something that makes these companies actually compete for my money?

2. naijahorn

naijahorn 250+ Posts

It really depends on alot of factors:

1. Business or pleasure?
    2a. do you want a PDA/smartphone?
    2b. do you want email and web access?
    2c. are you in the medical profession?
    3. what city are you in?
    4. do you have a family?

3. SomeMildLanguage

This is just for me. I don't use it that much. I wouldn't even have it, but I occasionally need it when out of town or whatever. My employer gives me a meager 25 dollars per month to have it, which is actually not so bad, since I rarely get or have to make work-related calls on it.

Ideally, I would like to have all sorts of data capabilities. Internet, email, etc. And maybe low on the actual talking minutes.

I also have a dinky phone right now without data capabilities, and I wouldn't mind just using that, but Verizon wants me to sign up for a new two year agreement, even if I keep my current old black-and-green screen flip phone.

I just want a nice phone and to pay like 50-60 dollars a month and have everything on it. The fact that I can't seem to find that deal or anything remotely close to it says to me that consumers are not playing hard enough to get, and phone companies are not concerned with actually offering anything special to make themselves more attractive than the other companies. People just go in and expect to get screwed, whereas even just a few years ago, you could walk in to one of those stores and feel like you had just screwed the salesman over.

4. naijahorn

naijahorn 250+ Posts

You will have to pay for the phone. Maybe not $200 - 300 dollars but you'll have to pay something.

You can get a Motorola Q from Sprint right now for $79.99 after a $100 mail-in-rebate. Normal price was $450.00, but there is an instant $250.00 discount. Lasts till June 17th I think. Sprint plans begin around $35.99 and the Power Vision Plan for $15.00/month includes unlimited data access/email/web browsing, NFL mobile. You won't get things like Sprint TV or Sprint Radio though.

Or you could go with the Blackberry, but you pay more ~$20.00 for the phone and the data plans are significantly more per month.

5. naijahorn

naijahorn 250+ Posts

Also, not certain but these discounts probably require 2 year contracts.

6. SomeMildLanguage

That's what I mean, though. If I am signing up for two freaking years, they better be giving me something. A free phone. Some text messaging. And so on. I don't want to buy the phone for hundreds of dollars, plus pay 70-90 or more dollars per month. And be locked in for two years. That's all pretty absurd to me, although I guess it has become the norm.

7. naijahorn

naijahorn 250+ Posts

You can get a free phone. It just won't be able to do all the things you want. If all you want to do is make calls & text message; free phone no problem. [​IMG] These phones will even be web & email capable, though it won't be recommended to use those features without a plan.

8. Phil Hellmuth

Phil Hellmuth 100+ Posts

i have sprint. i hate them. that is all.

9. jcazes

jcazes 500+ Posts

I pay $30 a month for 500 minutes, powervision (unlimited high speed data), unlimited texting, free nights/weekends at 7pm, free sprint-sprint.

Sprint SERO. I've dropped a few calls here and there, but have been more than satisfied given the price...

10. CBDTexas

CBDTexas 100+ Posts

Maybe you've already checked out wirefly? Although I haven't used it, the site seems like a good idea and you may find something.

Also, you could consider checking out E-bay for a new phone. Suppose you find a good deal for a plan, but the phone sucks, go to E-bay and you'll probably be able to find a new phone compatible with your provider (or one that is unlocked). I recently did this, and although I wouldn't say I got the phone for "cheap", it certainly was cheaper than buying the phone at a T-mobile store. (I made sure to get a new phone, I don't think a used one would be worth it)

And I don't know if this is part of your decision.....but I've been pleased with T-Mobile. I live in central/west Austin, and I'm sure there are many that disagree, but I haven't had too many problems with coverage and service.

11. TheYoungHorn

TheYoungHorn 25+ Posts

These people that somehow get the SERO plans are hooked up.

I don't know if they are all employees or not, but whoever is handing them out, I want it.

12. crazyhornsfan

crazyhornsfan 25+ Posts

I have a SERO plan. Contact me for details, and we can both get referral dollars out of it.

13. dendox

dendox 250+ Posts

sprint sucks balls. end of discussion. BUT

based on what you have told me you need to get in with SERO. google it or pm those that are willing here. There is no real catch and it is unbelievably cheap for all that you get.

Sprint sucks balls though. remember that before you go into it.

14. BIGsteve041

BIGsteve041 25+ Posts

I don't know about now since the merger but I have had Cingular for almost 3 years now. My plan is like 500 Anytime minutes with rollover/ Unlimited nights and weekends/ Free mobile to mobile (anyone already with Cingular or AT&T) for like 39.99. I added Text a few other things and I pay around $50 a month. Any newer phones won't have that big a discount but you can get an older model that will be able to do all you want for cheap or possibly free.

The "with rollover" sounds like it would be good for you. I don't use mine alot but occassionally will go way over and with those minutes I never have to worry about extra charges.

15. bevocbs

bevocbs 250+ Posts

Sprint SERO. I have the same plan as jcazes. it works great for me and it sounds like it is exactly what you want. assuming you haven't been a sprint customer before.

16. homer

homer 500+ Posts

sprint sucks ***. SERO is not worth it. they're giving it away for so cheap because no one actually buys their ****. buy overselling their spectrum via SERO, they're making the service worse. much worse. f**k sprint.