Best Pitching Staff ... Ever?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Barton Hills, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Barton Hills

Barton Hills 1,000+ Posts

Seriously. Remind me a complete staff that is better/on par with this 2010 Texas team.

Only recent squad that comes to mind was Rice 2004 with Humber, Townsend, etc.

We have SIX guys that could be weekend starters for just about every team in the nation. A sub 2.00 ERA sixteen games into the season? That's just absurd. Sky is the limit for these guys.

Jungmann
    Green
    Workman
    Dicharry
    Ruffin
    Milner

Then toss in Stayton, McKirahan, etc. out of the pen.

2. centexorange

centexorange 1,000+ Posts

Still a bit early to stake that claim. Ask me at the close of the season. There is still allot of baseball to be played. This reminds me of a thread on the basketball site earlier this season. [​IMG]

3. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, a little early, but 1982-83-84 Horns had some pretty good arms onboard.

4. Mr. Bohunkers

Mr. Bohunkers 25+ Posts

Rice had 4 first round draft pick pitchers on their 2003 championship team. Aardsma, Niemann, Humber, Townsend.

5. Barton Hills

Barton Hills 1,000+ Posts

Yep, that staff was filthy.

6. centexorange

Yeah, a little early, but 1982-83-84 Horns had some pretty good arms onboard.

Fully agree if this group comes anywhere near that class will be sitting pretty..

7. cnstoll58

cnstoll58 100+ Posts

I thought Josh Urban looked pretty good in his first outing.

And he is one of our local Dripping Springs kids

[​IMG]

8. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

The 2000 Longhorn staff was pretty damn good, including particularly:

Hale
    Seibel
    France
    Thames

These guys were pretty much the only reason that team saw Omaha, because, offensively, no one hit a lick besides Ontiveros and Nicholson.

9. torre

torre 250+ Posts

The Link

PFD - Respectively request a "sidebar" [​IMG] I will never forget the 2000 team and Ryan Huebel's home run against Arizona State that sent us back to the CWS for the first time in many years. The 2000 Team laid the foundatiion for Augie and the success we have now.

10. Nolalonghorn16

Nolalonghorn16 250+ Posts

Jungmann could be the #1 overall pick in 2011
    Workman should be a first rounder next year
    Could Ruffin go supplemental round?

Amazing that guys like Sam Stafford, who 3 years ago would've gotten a ton of playing time just on pure stuff. Now he can hardly see the field.

11. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

Thanks for the link, torre.

I can't believe that I omitted D.J. Jones from my list of pitchers from the 2000 team. I had forgotten that he won 12 games that season, sharing the team lead with Hale.

I do, however, remember a helluva' pitcher's duel that season between Hale and Nebraska ace Shane Komine.

12. launceston

launceston 250+ Posts

This year has been great so far for our pitchers. My vote, however, goes to the 1983 staff: Roger Clemens, Calvin Schiraldi, Bruce Ruffin, Mike Capel, Kirk Killingsworth, junkballer Steve Labay, and I'm sure I'm leaving some guys out. Unreal talent.

Oh yeah, Mike Poehl (#9 pick overall in 1985) and Eric Boudreaux were also on the 1983 team. Criminy Pete!

13. Thorp

Thorp 500+ Posts

We've had quite a few really great pitching greats...Here's to the 2002 CWS pitching staff...awesome pitchers [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

JD Gleaton
    Ricky Wright
    Keith Creel
    ------------
    Kem Wright
    Jim Acker
    Keith Walker
    -------------
    Tony Arnold
    Chief Seiler

1983 was greatness, but that was the best staff & the best team I ever saw in college baseball.

15. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

Horn2,

Have you posted under the handle "sua sponte", cause I think he is on board with your opinion.

16. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

Nope, that isn't me. I used to post under Coachfranconman but lost my password or it expired. Been a long time since I posted (long time lurker).

That team was greatness. Kevin Shannon was a great catcher that didn't hit much but was the consummate game master. Mark Chellette at 3rd was the same. Good defense, avg bat. The rest of the lineup could hit. A lot.

The DP combo of Gardenhire (mets) and Robertson (yanks) were both playing SS for the NY MLB teams in the early 80s. Then Terry Salazar at 1B, THE BEST HITTER WE HAD FOR QUITE SOMETIME (imo).

OF had Joe Bruno in CF (chatterbox, quick dude). The corner OF were a mix with Keith Walker, JD Gleaton, Quinn Lloyd and Jim Tjader rotating.

Quinn Lloyd had the best OF arm I've seen in burnt Orange. Lot of good ones but he had a friggin cannon.

That team was a beast. When Gleaton ripped a hammy extending at IB in the CWS. That unraveled us for some reason. Disappointing. At one time we were something like 55-4...won 22 straight SWC games if I recall. Lost the opener vs Arkie, the closing game vs aggy.

If I'm wrong on any of this stuff, don't shoot the messenger....but damn that was a great ballclub.

p.s... Marc Brumble got the last word on us in Omaha after 6000 Horn fans poured humiliation on him in the SWC tourney. That hurt

[​IMG]

17. orangecat

orangecat 1,000+ Posts

which team was Dennis Cook on? Didn't he pitch some in relief?

18. orangecat

orangecat 1,000+ Posts

and which team had the NCAA record 34 game winning streak, 1977 or 79?

19. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

1983. Consider that Roger Clemens was likely our 3rd best that year behind Shiraldi and Capel, maybe even Killingsworth.

20. hookem1962

hookem1962 250+ Posts

No. Nebraska hitting us hard.

21. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

20 runs the last 3 games, hard to win a baseball game when you give up that many runs.

22. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

Cook was here in 83 and 84 I think. Perhaps 84, 85.

1983 also has Steve Labay. We wouldn't have gotten to Omaha w/o him. MSU beat up on either Roger or Calvin, then Labay comes in the regional final and pitched a gem. MSU had Palmiero and Clark, what we needed was a lefty w/ control and threw strikes. Labay was greatness for us.

But they weren't as good as 79's Horns.

23. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

Team ERA now 2.49, 5.00 in Big 12 play after 2 games. Team batting .263 overall and .254 in Big 12 play. There is alot of room for overall improvement. I thought Nebraska was not very good this year by their record coming in? I did not think Rice was that good either? I guess these are still quality teams even though their records are not very good?

24. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Certainly it is an honor to be mentioned in the same discussion as the '83 and '79 UT pitching staffs, but only time will tell if this group achieves nearly as much, both in college and in the pros afterwards. Yes, 1983 had guys like Dennis Cook that couldn't crack the starting rotation, yet pitched for years at the major league level. Amazing.

25. Soviet Union

Soviet Union 500+ Posts

No. It's not even the best pitching this year. UCLA's is.

26. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

The OP was premature, imo.

27. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

28. BigboyDan

BigboyDan 25+ Posts

Swindell graduated from Sharpstown HS in 83. He played at Texas in 84, 85, and 86 (also on the 84 Olympic team) - drafted by Cleveland in the 1st round of the 1986 draft.

29. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

1969 Staff:

Burt Hooten
    James Street
    Larry Hardy

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

30. centexorange

Uhhh i think these guys are reading to much of there press releases.. [​IMG]