Best Players to Play in Texas State Championship Game

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Dec 24, 2017.

1. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

A few not so common names:

Bobby Layne
    Doak Walker
    Jackie Hathorne
    Gordon Leboufe
    Bobby Leborde
    Bobby Boyd
    Walter Fondren, III
    Larry Shields
    Bill Bradley
    Gene Maye
    Ronnie Scroggins
    Charlie Riggs (not sure how good he was, but he kept bring GP back)
    Pat Sheehan
    Steve Worster
    Jack Mildren
    Daryl Hunt
    Santana Dotson
    Jerry Ball
    David ??? from Brazosport
    Kendall Briles

Of that list, Earl dominated that game;
    Larry Shields, was anyone else ever that good;
    Bradley was going to win, you didn't know how, but he was;
    Worster dominated his second championship game
    Briles performance was one of the greatest ever;

Coach Bill Ellington would be really quick to tell you Gordon Leboufe. He said he had regular nightmares about the last play. According to Coach, Garland hit Gordon 13 times over that 50-60 yards, collapsing in the endzone with a 102/103 fever - he had pneumonia.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

Lets not forget Warren McVea. As a senior, he averaged better than a first down per carry. Led a South San Antonio high school to a State Championship. It was around 1964'

• Like Like x 1
  4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Ole,

I believe McVea & Brackenridge lost to Inez Perez and Corpus Christi "Meeler". Not sure if Richard Castillo was in jail for that one or not. Brack's coaches had a way of getting him out. I don't have time to look it up, but I believe Perez and Miller lost to Gene Mayfield and Borger in the final.

5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thanks for the Garland inclusion Sabre. Gene Mays may have been the best lineman to play in a championship game. Coach Ellington went on to do yeoman work at UT. Ronnie Scoggins was just a talented halfback from the neighborhood that matured at the right time.

6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sorry for the slight - Inez Perez, who personally lost more important football games than almost anyone got a chance to participate in by calling his own number when everyone knew 5'2"/130 pound QBs couldn't run up the middle, lost to Garland, not Borger in the Championship game.

Putting toys together, reading PS??, and remembering 50 years ago didn't work well.

As for Gene Mays, he is and always will be the greatest HS OL to take the field at any level in Texas, and Dave Campbell agrees with me. And he played both ways.

I just remember every time Riggs led Galena Park down the field to score, here came Scroggins behind Mays block.

7. DrRad

DrRad 250+ Posts

8. DrRad

DrRad 250+ Posts

How about Matt Stafford?

Or way back 1957 HP's Jack Collins who went to Texas and was sidelined by a knee injury.

9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

If they had not performed the same in closing moments of the Texarkana Texas High bi-district game they never would have made it to the State game against GP.

10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Dr,

I almost put Jack Collins on the list.

11. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

Brackenridge upset Borger to win the 1962 state title in Class 4A, then the UIL's largest classification, I said around 64 but it was 62. Brackenridge was not picked to win their district.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

You are correct, Sir. Don't know how I could forget that. After that game, Gene McCollum hired OA Phillips to be head coach at Port Neches. Over 600 candidates and he chose Bum over Gene Mayfield from Borger, The people of Odessa are eternally grateful. PNG had one brief era 74-77 and nothing since, Mojo became legend.