Best sausage ffrom the grocery store?

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by MGS, May 23, 2007.

1. MGS

MGS 500+ Posts

I can't get to the meat markets very often, but I am in Kroger twice a week. Is there anything decent at the supermarkets? I haven't found anything that great so far.

2. Fanny McLonghorn

Fanny McLonghorn 100+ Posts

I really like Meyer's. And Opa's.

3. judgroybeanbag

judgroybeanbag 500+ Posts

V&V at HEB. Hands down.

4. misterpink

misterpink 25+ Posts

V&V regular and jalepeno. Nothing else can compare. I have only found it at HEB, and until recently only in Central Texas. I just started finding it in Houston.

5. KTphoto

KTphoto < 25 Posts

Waak Sausage at Kroger's is real good. It is a german style sausage.

6. pescado_rojo

pescado_rojo 25+ Posts

V&V jalapeno is damn good.

7. RaizerAlum

RaizerAlum 100+ Posts

haven't been to kroger in awhile so I'm not sure they carry it, but Eckerman sausage is really good. Of course I'm partial since its from my uncle's meat market, but still...good stuff.

8. j.e.s.-U.S.

j.e.s.-U.S. 100+ Posts

does anyone know what kind of sausage they sell on gamedays at the alumni center? I have only had it in the wraps but I always wondered what kind of sausage it was. If anyone knows, please let me know.

9. CharlestonHorn

CharlestonHorn 25+ Posts

I vote Opa's as well, damn good.

10. Mack Tripper

Mack Tripper 500+ Posts

Holmes Smokehouse makes good sausage.

11. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

I like the V&V. Ryskey's family sells them hogs. I also like Holmes and Kiolbassa brand beef jalapeno.

12. Rip76

Rip76 1,000+ Posts

I like Opa's and Holmes (pecan smoked especially).

13. ERhine

ERhine 250+ Posts

14. hookem2102

hookem2102 250+ Posts

Do they have V&V at Cen Mkt in Dallas ?

15. huge

huge 250+ Posts

i like earl campbells hotlinks (wrapped ina tortilla with some mustard)

i dont buy much sausage, i have a freezer full of venison. anyone want some?

16. jmrob93

jmrob93 Guest

I like Burton or Holmes if I have to get some at the store

I like the fresh sausage at Vinceks in East Bernard

17. #3Rules

#3Rules 250+ Posts

as far as pre-cooked, those saying anything but v&v, have not tried it. v&v hands down, holmes is second. I like Elgin stuff, but only uncooked.

18. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

Kiolbasa brand sausage, available at HEB. Their family name means sausage, people.

19. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

There is a surprising amount of consensus on this thread.

20. tatertothorn

tatertothorn < 25 Posts

I don't know if they sell Neese's sausage in Texas, but it's a damn good NC sausage.

Funnily enough, they have a meat processing plant just around the corner from my office and if I get to work at the right time and the wind is good, I can hear and smell the little piggies meating their end. Seriously, though, it is good sausage and have a range of "temps" for everyone.

21. C-Man

C-Man 250+ Posts

22. HornsN04

HornsN04 500+ Posts

V&V and Opa's are out-*******-standing.

23. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

HEB and Central Market have some pretty good store made stuff but it is not pre-cooked.

The chicken, spinach, feta is very good and so is the beef, poblano, cheese.

24. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

I like a very lean and spicy sausage. Which of these fit that description? What I'd like to find is a sausage that compares to Pok-e-Jo's homemade sausage. It's the best I've had anywhere. If you've never tasted it, give it a try sometime. Hard to beat in my opinion.

25. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

I'm a big Holmes fan, I don't buy anything else.

26. tx 3 putt

tx 3 putt 100+ Posts

I like all the stuff mentioned above, I'll throw another out there.

Chapel Hill

Another reason to love Texas, plenty sausage choices at the grocery store.

[​IMG]

27. misterpink

misterpink 25+ Posts

Burton is awful to me, not a fan of Chapel Hill (not awful though). When I moved to Houston I tried them all. If I can't have V&V then Holmes is the second best in my opinion. Plus Holmes has many different options.

Does anyone else find it ironic that there is a sausage brand named Holmes?

28. ajax

ajax 100+ Posts

Do you have Aidells? The ones with portobella mushrooms are very good.

29. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

It's not from a grocery store, but the sausage at L&R Meats in Belton is some of the absolute best I have ever eaten. Regular or Jalapeno- doesn't matter. Really good. [​IMG]

30. 12thStudStan

12thStudStan 250+ Posts

This sausage addict has tried more rings & links than I care to admit over the years. I smoke all sausage I buy regardless of how it was smoked before for several hours over pecan & oak coals to render out some fat and improve the flavor.

Some HEB's carry Praseks (from Hilljie/El Campo), Slovacek (from Snook), and Janeks (from Halletsville) in addition to those already mentioned. I would put any of those up with V&V and a good notch better than Kiolbassa, Opas, Holmes & Chapel Hill IMO. I buy Kiolbassa chorizo, put an not a huge fan of their other products. I'm also not a huge fan of Meyers, although I am a fan of Southside Market's Elgin sausage but I have not seen Southside's product on a major grocery store shelf.

Some Sam's & Walmarts carry V&V and Kountry Boys (from Brenham). The Kountry Boys pork & venison is one of the better commercially available venison sausages IMO. Someone mentioned Waak sausage which is a sister brand of Kountry Boys.

My favorite sausage of late is from Patek's out of Shiner. Up until now they have been available locally only, but they are gearing up for distribution. If the quality holds up, they will one of the best on the grocery store shelf.

Sausage is really one of those personal preference things. Most of my favorite sausages are from Czech families. I'm not sure why that is because although I have German heritage I have no Czech blood. I married a hot Czech, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Prasek's

Slovacek

Janak

Kountry Boys

Patek's