Best Tex/Mex in Dallas

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Horns444Ever, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Horns444Ever

Horns444Ever < 25 Posts

Any recommendations on where to get some good Tex/Mex food in the Dallas area, preferably near bars/dancing. Anything helps, even if is not near nightlife.

Thanks

2. Texas97

Texas97 500+ Posts

Probably Iron Cactus downtown.

3. bigup2dahorns

bigup2dahorns 250+ Posts

iron cactus is good. if you want some scenery, try primo's. one of my favorite's is sol's taco lounge. another one in uptown is mattito's.

4. texxas

texxas < 25 Posts

Is there a Lupe Tortilla's in Dallas? If so, find it.

5. txre

txre 100+ Posts

Although it is out of the way I enjoy Apracio's In Plano and they have one in Downtown McKinney with a Bar area Upstairs.
    My wife likes Mexi-go.

6. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

Go to Mia's on Lemmon. Wait with everybody else. When you get a table, order the brisket tacos. Enjoy one of life's great pleasures.

I also reallly like Ojeda's on Maple.

Rancho Martinez in my 'hood (Lakewood) is solid.

7. 007 373 5963

007 373 5963 100+ Posts

mia's
    ojeda's
    herrera's

not iron cactus, definitely not primos. well, primos for the scenery, if you can ignore massive douchebaginess.

8. TXshelton

TXshelton < 25 Posts

Mia's
    Ojedas
    Chuy's

end of story

Iron Cactus may be one of the worst - good mex martinis though

9. LonghornLawyer

LonghornLawyer 500+ Posts

Chuy's? Surely you jest.

My favorite is Herrera's on Maple Avenue. Ojeda's is also very good, and it is also on Maple. Maple is close to Uptown, where there are bars/dancing, but it is still driving distance away.

If you want Mexican in Uptown so that you can just ditch your car and walk around, Primo's on McKinney at Hall is a very good bet. The food is very good (I personally recommend the tacos camperos), and the scenery is some of the best in Dallas.

10. CommerceHorn

CommerceHorn < 25 Posts

Anamia's in Coppell.

11. LonghornLawyer

LonghornLawyer 500+ Posts

12. 007 373 5963

007 373 5963 100+ Posts

that place sounds like a disease.

also, for a chain, mi cocina is pretty damn good. they're everywhere.

13. bigup2dahorns

bigup2dahorns 250+ Posts

for a combination of food and scene, try the new mi coccina in west village

14. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

I want to throw in that there is a little place in downtown Frisco of all places. Its called Tacos Plus. They have good Carnitas and Cachete. If you are headed to a game, it's worth checking out.

15. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell 25+ Posts

Mi Cocina = Beating

16. MaximumBarnes

MaximumBarnes 100+ Posts

The best Tex-Mex near any sort of nightlife is Matt's Rancho Martinez in Lakewood. But it's not the sort of nightlife you're looking for. Mostly just laid-back, neighborhood bars (no dancing). The best traditional Tex-Mex I've had is Herrera's (no alcohol). Also, Jive speaks the gospel about Mia's brisket tacos. Ojeda's is first on my list of places I have yet to try. Perhaps I need to arrange a visit and report back.

17. Nuclear Bear

Nuclear Bear 1,000+ Posts

it is very trendy and people love to hate on it because of that, but I think Primos is very good. Their fajitas are my favorite.

Ojeda's is good but a litte overated.

I think Iron Cactus is pretty average and Blue Mesa Grill sucks.

18. MustangOrange

MustangOrange 100+ Posts

I like Mia's, but there's usually an hour wait if you go on a Friday or Saturday night. Herrera's is also good and is BYOB - there's a gas station across the street if you need to pick up a six pack.

19. DalTexHornFan

DalTexHornFan 25+ Posts

Ojedas has the best cheese enchiladas I've ever had.

Primo's tacos camperos rule. Good margaritas and salsa too.

[​IMG]

20. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

I'm getting hungry for some Primo's chicken nachos and a bowl of their bean soup. Plus, easily the best talent of any Tex Mex joint, maybe anywhere.

21. Ankf00

Ankf00 250+ Posts

Primo's, good food and the talent rates at 11.

22. MustangOrange

MustangOrange 100+ Posts

Supposedly they are opening a Primo's in Fort Worth. That would be nice.

23. Don Johnson

Don Johnson 250+ Posts

I'm obviously in the minoroty here, but i can't stand Ojeda's and am not a big fan of Primos. Ojeda's taco meat is liquididy, and I swear Primos buys its tortillas at the grocery store.

But I am a huge fan of Mia's, Herrera's, Manny's, Avila's, and Mattito's.

24. SuzieV.

SuzieV. < 25 Posts

Manny's is my favorite.
    Arribas is very close to bars (Idle Rich) and the food is decent.

25. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

Herrera's is definitely my favorite, although for scenary, Primos on ladies night (which used to be Tuesday I believe) is the place to be. Also, the Blue Goose is not too bad, mainly because I can walk there from my house.

26. Nuclear Bear

Nuclear Bear 1,000+ Posts

27. bigup2dahorns

bigup2dahorns 250+ Posts

i used to love arriba's but have been twice in the past few months and the food is not very good IMO, which is a shame because of the excellent location. i finally had some brisket tacos and mia's and yes, they are the best in town.

28. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

Had some brisket tacos at Mia's on Saturday. Good night. I could eat those every day for the rest of my life and be a happy man.

29. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

Besides the brisket and a taco, how else do they do their brisket tacos?

30. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell 25+ Posts