Best wings in Austin?

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by Diamondback, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Diamondback

Diamondback 25+ Posts

I know this has probably been discussed here before but who has the best wings in Austin? Is it Pluckers, Hooters, Wings N More? Thoughts?

2. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

I don't know what Bob Cole has done to the joint, but prior to the bailout, I loved the wings at The Tavern.

Nothing could beat Shaggy's jerk chicken wings on a good day, though. Too bad they've been out of business for years.

3. Pluckers spicy garlic are the shiznit. [​IMG]

4. Nebraskan4Texas

Nebraskan4Texas 25+ Posts

As a former Hooters girl, the wings at this fine establishment suck in Austin, Lincoln, and every other city in America.

5. horns81

horns81 < 25 Posts

Hey N4T, got any pictures? [​IMG]

6. rksg1

rksg1 100+ Posts

The first time a thread came out about this, I was Hooters all the way.

But since, I definitely changed my mind.

Pluckers.[​IMG]

7. Texas97

Texas97 500+ Posts

i posted this on the "wings n more" thread here. bottom line, pluckers and then wings n more. not a fan of hooters at all. for one, the wings are breaded and that sucks and secondly the wings just aren't as good as the other two.

my roommate is an aggie and his favorite restaurant in the world is wings n more. for his college graduation a few years back, he got together with some friends of his and rented out the wings 'n more party room by campus there. several kegs, good time...

anyway, this summer i was driving to dallas and as i was passing north austin, i saw that they were building the wings 'n more up north. i called him up immediately and told him.

my 2 cents on wings 'n more. i have been to the one in SA many many times. when i go to SA, i meet an ag friend of mine for lunch. so i have alot of data points. for one thing, they need to call the place "wings". b/c the "n more" part sucks. i have had the wings & rib sampler plate a couple of times and the ribs are horrible.

as for the wings, the wings are damn good. medium & hot are very good.

BUT i prefer the wings at pluckers. pluckers is just down the street from where i work so i have been there many times. their wings are excellent.

that said, wings n more (at least the one in SA) appears to be a pretty viable sports bar. they have alot of tables near the bar and a large bar area plus many tvs. the pluckers up north has alot of tvs but no bar area. it doesn't look to me to be a great place to watch games b/c you might feel pressured to give up your table.

Texas97

8. baseballhorn

baseballhorn < 25 Posts

not wing zone

9. bluto

bluto 500+ Posts

def. not wingzone. wingstop is pretty good, original hot. wingzone has the best f'n chicken fingers, they are so good.

10. Durkee

Durkee 500+ Posts

I had Wingzone when they first opened, and the wings were small and it was hard to tell the difference between any of the sauces that we tried. They were all the same.

Agree that the breaded **** at Hooters sucks, and that Pluckers has the best in town!

11. oh... and if you go to Plucker's, opt for the "all drums" for a dollar or two more. It's well worth it.

12. chance johnson

chance johnson 100+ Posts

hooters is ok. Like bw3. I've only gotten Pluckers via delivery, so I can't say I was impressed.

13. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

I love Pluckers. I joined the Pluckers Club, it is so worth it. Free meal on your birthday, every 100 bucks you spend gets you a $10 gift certificate, discounts, and a free tshirt.

I love their hot wings. Their buffalo hot flavor is allsome. However, I got their "fire in the hole" on my birthday last week. After one wing, I was alright. After 2, I was starting to sweat. After three, I coldn't taste anything for about 10 minutes. If they didn't serve 34 oz beers, I might have died. And I generally have the highest tolerance for hot foods of the people I know.

14. West Campus

West Campus < 25 Posts

I usually change my mind between pluckers and hooters. Right now, I would say hooters. I have a hard time not stopping when I am already full.

15. WinStreak

WinStreak 25+ Posts

16. Pluckers Jerk or Ranch.

The Onion on 5th.

17. Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway 100+ Posts

Pluckers is the best...by far. But if you want cheap, head over to Waterloo Icehouse M-F between 5-7pm. 15cent wings and they are huge!

18. numbereleven

numbereleven 250+ Posts

Wing Stop (La Frontera, Round Rock)

Cajun wings, A
    Original Hot, A-
    Fries, A+ (my favorite anywhere)

OK, the atmosphere sucks, so get take out.

[​IMG]

19. bluto

bluto 500+ Posts

had plucker's again today, i am convinced that the special sauce in their buffalo hot hot-wings is Ex-lax. **** through a goose man, **** through a goose

20. Moe Syzlack

Moe Syzlack 25+ Posts

The Tavern's are the ****! Very, very good!

21. UberHorn

UberHorn 25+ Posts

I miss the Austin Chicken House...[​IMG]

I guess I am in the minority but I love Hooters...then Pluckers...then BW3...

I'll have to try Wings 'N More

Wingzone sucks

Hook'Em!

22. Texas97

Texas97 500+ Posts

i had the "naked" wings at pluckers during the NCAA Finals game. i was very unimpresed. they aren't buffalo wings, they weren't hot. they were still _slightly_ breaded.

pluckers & wings n more are my favorite.

Texas97

23. rksg1

rksg1 100+ Posts

24. Texas97

Texas97 500+ Posts

yeah, meant the naked ones at hooters. not pluckers. the naked ones at hooters are still breaded. the regular ones at pluckers are truly naked buffalo wings.

Texas97

25. clevername

clevername 25+ Posts

Yellow Rose

26. KingKoopa

KingKoopa 250+ Posts

wingstop... original hot, order them 'wet', and they kick ***. their atomic hot are unfuckingtolerable.

27. utchemist

utchemist < 25 Posts

Pluckers' fire in the hole are insanely good, yet set my mouth on fire.

28. adi_7_anand

adi_7_anand 100+ Posts

i like Alligator Grill's wings.

29. sasquatch

sasquatch < 25 Posts

30. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

If you have not had the wings at Hoover's (that's with a "v" not a "t"), you need to try them before picking your favorite. I'm not sure if they are my favorite, but they are damn tasty, and very hot (ay chihuahua).

For a place known for homestyle cooking, Hoover's gives any wing, burger, or bbq a serious run for their money.