Beto Does it Again

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by HornHuskerDad, May 26, 2020.

1. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

Is he a biologists, I don’t think he is so he doesn’t know what a woman is.

2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

No, but he was in a punk band (and now politics) so he probably knows what a skank is.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

On my morning run I saw my first Beto sign.
    Just said " Beto for Texas" very generic
    So when he loses this race he can use same sign for whatever office he runs for next
    And so on and so on.

• Hot Hot x 2
  4. utahorn

utahorn 500+ Posts

He's recycling. It's good for the planet.

What I want to know is, WHEN will he go away?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 3, 2022
  5. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• WTF? WTF? x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  6. Sangre Naranjada

Well, if the "take your guns"comment didn't sink him in Texas, this comment will

7. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

No legal restrictions? That's radical even for France.

8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

abbot will win the valley.

9. Sangre Naranjada

Of course, I want to see the actual quote and not some tweet about the quote before I completely ascribe such stupidity to BobFrank, but I am not super skeptical about its accuracy.

10. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

None? Wow, so can we abort up to 50 years post birth? Asking for a friend named Robert Francis...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I see a lot of commentary about how "legal" abortion is in Europe to make the US look bad, and it's true that you won't find many countries where it's totally illegal. However, very few, if any are as liberal as the US is on abortion. Even Sweden at least generally (with exceptions) prohibits abortion after 18 weeks, and most are more restrictive than that. This idea that Europe is an abortion paradise and that the US has been hostile to abortion is straight nonsense. France generally prohibits abortion after 14 weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

It's amazing how ignorant Americans are on Europe. Americans just view Europe as a more liberal place so they assume that covers all topics.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It's really true. Europe is socially liberal, but they are less polarized on the liberal end. Most pro-choicers here aren't wing nuts who think a baby at 35 weeks has no right to exist. Even on taxes, there's a lot of BS. Many European countries have pretty high top rates, but they have all kinds of sweet deals for the wealthy, and of course, they tax the poor and middle class much harder than the US does.

14. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

Then let's get to the topic of free speech. Or wait - is limiting free speech a conservative or liberal idea? :confused2:

15. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I think this may be because there is more social cohesion in Europe. Not as much now, but still more than the US, European countries are actual nation-states, one ethnicity represented by government. I think that is why they are willing to trust the state for more social programs. They are all French or English or Spanish. That could explain their attitude about abortions because abortions are ending the lives of French, English, or Spanish. In the US, abortion was a tool to reduce and even eliminate the black population. Maybe the racist motivation has drifted away, maybe, but the zealous push for it has remained.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

There are a few things i hope a more conservative SCOTUS reviews but one of the items at the top of my list is "hate" laws. I think this "bonus" punishment sent us down a wrong path and has contributed to this environment where speech can be depicted as "hate speech" and then sort of becomes a "crime" to say things that some people don't agree with. We should have someone challenge the constitutionality of "hate" as a crime modifier.

17. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Europe is officially for free speech, but it's a bit of a sham. If the government doesn't like what you say, they can find ways to make it illegal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: May 6, 2022
  19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

SCOTUS gives Beto's campaign new life.

"I can sense a complete change in the state of Texas," said O’Rourke.

"Those who are going to be most affected are also overlapping with those who traditionally haven't been voting in Texas elections, the very young those who are experiencing poverty, black and brown people in communities across the 254 counties understanding now that their rights have been foreclosed by one person, Greg Abbott, and that Republican majority in the legislature. That is going to be energizing, galvanizing," said O’Rourke.

Beto O'Rourke campaign pivots to abortion following Supreme Court leak

20. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

How many Ls does he take before he rides off into the sunset. It took only one for Abortion Barbie Wendy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

I've seen career politicians before but never a career "almost politician". I'm sure we'll see one day that he/she/they has been using some creative campaign money tricks to feed the bulldog while being a perpetual "wannabe".

22. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I wonder what his wife and father in law think of the poster boy of "almost politicians "
    (Credit to BOST)

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

I always laugh when a Democrat talks about supporting teachers. He's right that teachers are undervalued and underpaid; however, Democrats have a worse track record of supporting teachers than Republicans do. Democrats are known for taking power away from teachers. At the the state level...

New Oregon law suspends graduation testing requirement

"A new Oregon law that suspends a requirement for a basic-skills test in math, reading and writing to graduate high school..."

"The Oregon Department of Education has said the new law will allow the state develop more equitable graduation requirements."

Governor Hochul Signs Legislation Eliminating Discriminatory Language from Parts of Education Law and Prohibiting Intimidation and Retaliation Against Students

"Assemblymember Karines Reyes said, 'Unfortunately, many of our state's laws are still riddled with implicit bias against the very people that we are trying to help or protect. In education law, the term incorrigible is used to incorrectly label individuals as incapable of being corrected. No person should be described that way, but especially not our young girls of color and LGBTQ youth who are frequently regarded as irredeemable.'"

Can't hold them back in Oregon and can't label them as un-correctable in New York. Thanks for helping teachers! :rolleyes1:

Then at the school district level, we see some teachers fired for not using the preferred pronoun of students. Think those particular districts are run by liberals or conservatives?

Don't get me wrong. Republicans aren't jumping around to help teachers either. No elected official is. They're just not as bad as Democrats on teachers. For example Republicans making teachers' lives harder...

Texas teachers say they’re pushed to the brink by law requiring them to spend dozens of hours unpaid in training

"the Texas Legislature has insisted those who teach grades K-3 need to jump another hurdle: they need to complete a 60-to-120 hour course on reading, known as Reading Academies, if they want to keep their jobs in 2023. And they must do it on their own time, unpaid."

Thanks Texas! That elementary education degree, annual certification, already existing continuing education, and evaluation from the principal aren't enough to show you know how to teach K-3. No need for Gov. Abbott to open a probe into why there's a teacher shortage.

• poop poop x 1
  24. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

You have to remember that when politicians talk, they'll often use harmless and uncontroversial rhetoric as code for something more controversial and less popular. For example, "support teachers" is usually code for more money (either through pay, benefits, retirement, or some combination of all three), more openness to unionizing, less accountability to parents, and opposition to vouchers. Well, that describes Democrats more than it describes Republicans.

25. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Re: Beto

I just don’t understand why people can’t seem to see the genius of this man.

• Winner Winner x 1
  26. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Worst :beertoast:
    I bet Beto is as perplexed as you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

"In Texas, you see Greg Abbott trying to mimic Donald Trump's behavior. This abortion ban, this attack on transgender children, trying to prosecute their parents...

...I mean this guy [Abbott] couldn't keep the lights on when the temperature dropped last year. 700 died, froze to death, in the energy capital of the World, in the State of Texas.

---We're now paying $50 more per month for our [electric] bills, it's the Abbott Tax..."

• poop poop x 1
    Last edited: May 10, 2022
  28. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Here Beto says (paraphrased) ...

Greg Abbott:

1. Attacks women
    2. Bans abortion, no exception for rape and incest
    3. Attacks teachers
    4. Attacks democracy
    5. Presides over a State where 7 out of 10 4th graders cannot read at grade level
    6. Made us the least insured State in the Country
    7. Closed down reproductive health clinics

29. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

In the video above, Beto also said that 100 kids lost their lives last year in the Texas CPS system.
    That's pretty f'ed up.

30. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Per Beto: When we lift Title 42, we're going to be safer...

• WTF? WTF? x 1