Beto Does it Again

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by HornHuskerDad, May 26, 2020.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

About like Beto's base.

2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

And the appeal is about that deep.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

For political entertainment, I'd probably enjoy a McConaughey vs. Beto primary.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

I have no use for Abbott or Beto but keep in mind that in his race against Rafael Cruz he won the race among native born Texans. Cruz's margin came from people born outside Texas. There are a lot more foreigners in Texas now but a lot of them are from California and a fair number of them are ok with bigger government, cleaner air and water and a lot less in awe of agriculture and the petroleum industry

Abbott's negatives among republicans are not going to keep them from turning out for him and Beto's remarks about guns are likely to inhibit the number of Texans who might consider switching their party allegiance in that race but most of the gun vote is not going to vote for any democrat at all and most of the growth in the state's population has been in cities, and most of the people there don't hunt

This race may be a lot more competitive than might appear on first blush.

The big interest ought to be in re districting, where the GOP will pick up the two new congressional seats in Houston and Dallas, but in the Texas house with 150 seats, making it safer for Republicans may be a problem. The Senate will stay safely Republican but the House is real close now and could well get closer.

Next year will be the most interesting since 1978.

5. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

I would like to see a McConaughey vs Beta debate for entertainment.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Ultimately, this will likely be why he loses (if he even runs and wins the primary). Personally, I'd much rather have our Minister of Culture.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

Agree with you on Robert Francis but disagree on Abbott. The media hates Abbott for his mandate against mask mandates, abortion bill signature, and voting bill signature. Abbott is liked by his base, but the above has cut into his business crowd and suburbanite love.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Abbot will do well in south Texas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

That, and the fact few repubs are going to vote beta. All you have to do is remind conservative voters that some voted for biden... then regretted it. Don't fk up twice

10. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

All you have to do in wooing the business crowd is remind them of the damage caused by wokeness, to include the increased taxes they will be paying if Beta Cuck is elected.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

HELL YES, WE'RE GOING TO TAKE YOUR AR-15...

Beto proposed a mandatory gun buy-back
    (certain to go over well in :texasflag:)

12. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

The gun issue will be his single largest negative but with all the money Dems are raising (which still astonishes me) it will be tougher than it should be. Especially with the media posturing for him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Whats the record for most failed/lost elections? He has to be getting close.

14. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I wonder if someone will bring Beto's winning poem,"Wax my Butt"?

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

First, the mandate against mask mandates was dumb. He deserves whatever flack he gets for that. The other bills are the sort of thing Republican governors have signed into law for decades. I'm sure it'll hurt some with all the media shitstorm, but that will dissipate over time. And we're just not deep enough or have long enough of a memory to stay pissed about that sort of thing. Let's put it this way. I think Abbott will gain more support from Latinos who are sick of being told they have to hate God's only son than he'll lose from signing those bills.

16. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

I suspect he has a ways to go to catch people like Lyndon LaRouche...

17. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

MANY Texans disagree. But for EO's like that, we would have idiots like Lina Quarantina STILL trying to keep people home and afraid of their shadow.

The EO did not preclude people from wearing a face diaper if they so chose. I still say that one of the biggest things showing how stupid masks are is that something allegedly trapping a super-deadly virus is permitted to just be casually tossed in the trash instead of being treated like the bio-hazard that such a deadly receptacle should be classified. That used masks are not bio-hazards says all that need be said...

• Like Like x 1
  18. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

We'll see how businesses and sports leagues respond to the bills. See the MLB All-Star Game moving from Atlanta last year. Then you sure about the Latino thing since Robert Francis is Catholic?

Publicly, businesses are speaking out against the bills.

19. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'm not defending the merits of masks especially in schools. Requiring kids (especially elementary school kids) to wear them might be one of the dumbest policy decisions I've seen governing bodies make. The problem with the EO is that (1) it comes from a place of questionable authority, (2) needlessly injects Abbott into a hornet's nest he can easily avoid by simply deferring to school boards, and (3) directs attention and accountability away from school boards making bad decisions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Biden was Catholic too. I don't think being Catholic drives their vote very much anymore, especially since Democrats who claim to be Catholic show so little evidence of their Catholicism.

They've done that on other issues too, such as illegal immigration. I just don't see them ditching a guy who has carried water for them for so long just because he sided with conservatives on a few issues that have little or no real bearing on them.

21. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

prior to vaccines being available, mask made sense because they were some level of mitigation and we didn't have many tools besides isolation/separation at the time. Now that we have vaccines, with a reported 94% effectiveness...how much can masks really be helping? Taking us from 94% to possibly 98%. That theoretical delta is not worth the imposition of wearing a mask at this point. And if you are a person who chooses to not get vaccinated, then so be it. I don't wish for you get sick as some sort of karmic punishment, but I'm not going to be terribly upset if it happens either.

My favorite hypocrisy of this whole event has been the quiet "hands-off" approach the media has taken to the black community for flouting the vaccine and the mask. (despite being traditionally 95% Dem voters and led by the nose from Dem leaders) They are by far, the least vaccinated community despite the vaccine being made available for FREE. It goes to undermine the whole argument that being black or even being low-income is the principal driver of bad outcomes in the black community. What it shows is that the black community makes their own decisions, and their outcomes are driven not by externalities but by their own culture and decision making.....And yet no one wants to go on record as saying "we need the black community to quit denying science".

The recent incident in NY is case in point. BLM is firmly in the Dem camp and the Dem camp is firmly on the side of mask mandates and vaxx cards, but let a black person push against a mask/card mandate and then it's hands off cause you know....racism.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They approach this issue the way they approach blacks on most issues. They assume that blacks are helpless and stupid. They rationalize black hesitancy on the basis that blacks have good reason to distrust the scientific community because of the Tuskegee experiment.

I'll repost what I said about it earlier, because frankly, I nailed it. Lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Beto is screwed:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

One has to wonder if beta realizes that straight-ticket voting is no longer permitted...ditto for the numbnuts from the Bush campaigns who wants to run as a D against Patrick for LtGov.

25. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

mb
    You mean the idiot Matthew Dowd who said in 2018 that it was time for white Christian Hetero males to step down and let others who do not look like him to govern?
    That numbnut?

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

That would be the one...

27. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

nobody but numbnuts run for these jobs and that is how we end up with people like Abbott and Patrick and Beto and Rick and W and Ann Richards.

And a quick look at the legislature tells us that the bench is pretty thin as well.

28. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Yes but it shouldn’t be patently obvious. Most have the decency to wait until they are in office to show their true colors.

29. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Almost as if we had the Texans front office getting a bunch of 7th round draft choices...

30. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

You need to stop complementing the legislature. They ain't that good and wouldn't be on anyone's free agent list.

• Like Like x 1