Beto Does it Again

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by HornHuskerDad, May 26, 2020.

1. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Realistically, I don't think anyone is going to try. It's an off-year election, and no Democrat is going to defeat Abbott. Beta will be the sacrificial lamb since he has nothing better to do.

Long term, I think Democratic statewide candidates are going to be former big city mayors and high profile (but not necessarily powerful) state legislators.

2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Beto is turning out to be a reliable dustbin. Wonder who the Dems will run him agsinst next?

3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Dustbin or oral receptacle?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

mc
    In her case there is no distinction

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

Possibly, but who do they have from the mayor side of things? No way slippery Sly Turner wins a statewide race. Nor AssHat from Austin. Don't know much about the Dallas mayor.

The problem the Democrats have is that as their party goes full communist, it makes only hardcore leftist able to win in their safe seats like mayors, and also toxic for state wide races.

6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Looks like Beto's found a much better issue for him than gun control...

7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

He's found Abbott's weakness and will continue hammering:

9. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

When Louie Gohmert moves up from AG the Dems will have a chance

the straussian republicans are near the end of their tether and it only takes a 5 per cent swing in a tight race

Gohmert is Claytie Williams in waiting

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

It's a long uphill climb for Beto, and one that I think he'll lose with a 90%+ probability. But Abbott has horrendous optics on the Snowmeggedon / electric supply/grid winterization issue. Too bad for Beto the election won't be in early February with a big Siberian Express Blue Norther cold front hitting at the time of the polls.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  11. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

it happening at all was a bit bad for Abbott but not a big issue long term if there are no repeats. Whether by luck of a mild winter, or whether they've actually fixed the underlying issues... as long as there is no repeat of last year then this won't move many voters come next fall. If it does happen again, then I would imagine Abbott won't be the GOP nominee.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Duck Dodgers

Beta Male failed in his last race for statewide office, in 2018. He had huge funding, was constantly pumped up by the media as a fresh young leader, and was running against a very conservative Cruz, who could be typecast as a meanie, and thus didn't get a lot of support from the afternoon wino book club crowd. And all this is a good year for Democrats nationwide. He still lost by 3%.

Abbott vs. Beta Male in 22, with Slow Joe the drooling President having about a 30% approval rate, won't be close. Unless something unusual happens like some hitherto unknow scandal popping up about Abbott, expect another 60/40 blow out like in 14 against the Abortion Barbie Wendy Davis.

Abbott's harder challenge is to make it through the primary, with over 50%, so that he doesn't have to have a runoff race. If he makes it, it's smooth sailing to a destruction of Beta Male.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

What Beta loses in translation is the company wants the utility to pay what they owe. Of course, he ALSO ignores that the company backed off...something i don't think they should have done.

The OTHER thing Beta loses in translation is that winterization was not the true issue...it was the failure to do actual on-site inspections. That issue has been cured. Being on the national grid would be a disaster...we see how well it functioned some of the Southeast as well as the regular failures in Commiefornia. Texas should have told the feds to shove it when the EPA wanted coal taken off-line for power generation.

Beta will ALSO lose on the issue when we get through these next three weeks with no issues. Texas historically has our cold snap in early to mid-February and when the grid doesn't collapse, the Republican candidates will be on him about the chicken-little pronouncements like flies on aggy.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  14. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I didn't live through it. I live in the UK with a 1,200 liter heating oil tank, so I don't sweat stuff like this. However, it's hard to imagine that voters would really get that upset about it - enough to drive their votes. It was literally a once-in-a-century event. It's like getting pissed at the mayor of Miami for not having snow ploughs ready.

15. Duck Dodgers

And as if this turd would have done anything different as Governor. Can't imagine Beta Male would have had, circa fall 2020, lots of meetings about how to harden the power system against 100 year winter storms.

16. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

If anything similar happens this year it will be a valid issue for him. The threat to shut down, extortion or not, can be played to his advantage too. But electors have short memories so the election being 9 months post freezing temperatures is in Abbott’s favor, so there is that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. utahorn

utahorn 500+ Posts

Hindsight is 20/20 and Beta is Mr. (wrong pronoun?) Hindsight.

Agree with the above posts that IF this is a mild winter Abbott is Ok for re-election. I still need to look at Huffines and others. Not opposed to Abbott but not 100% on the Abbott train.

18. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Beto would also push for more wind and solar. Spending money on that kills all the efforts to winterize or build thermal plants which are needed.

He would cause way worse problems than we have.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Any candidate who's big on weakening current energy supplies to try to force energy supplies that are less reliable (especially in winter weather as solar definitely would be) doesn't have the credibility to seriously make an issue of this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

Meh, it was a small fraction of the overall bill, the rest of which has been paid. Additionally, it was the portion under dispute based on the legality of the trade practice, which just needs to be settled in court. The optics of threatening a generation company in the middle of winter is nothing short of foolish right now, even if they eventually win (which I don't think they will).

Could not agree more on your other points.

21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

This is NOT from the Bee
    Beta told the DMN he does not want "outside politicians" coming into this state to help decide the outcome .
    Of course he will continue to take every "outside "penny sent

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

Of course he has. The power failure the only issue Robert has against Greg. I said for the past year that's what Democrats will focus on.

23. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

He is going to run on expanding medical coverage with the feds picking up the bill. That will resonate with a lot of uninsured people. And he will talk about jobs and electricity in a manner that will at least sound good.
    Don’t care for him and won’t vote for him but I am no longer counting him out. Charismatic aholes frequently do well. See JFK and DJT

24. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

If he tries to run on expanding ANYTHING on the federal dime, the Republicans need to nail him to a fence post...because that automatically says he wants more taxes. And once called out, he will HAVE to pivot to "well, maybe we SHOULD have a State income tax..." which would be the death knell for his campaigns...

25. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Not sure why his strident gun control stance ("hell yes, we are coming for your AR-15s") hasn't sunk his pathetic nancy-boy *** already.

26. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I presume this is Medicaid and not Obamacare.

27. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

It will start hitting the airwaves again once we get closer to votes that actually matter. Those expenditures are best left until the Dem primary candidates weed themselves out. After all, pointing it out in primary season won't get the needle moved and I don't see a ton of Republican voters crossing over to the Dem primary just to vote against Beta...

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Good points, mb. I meant the question more as why the Democrats don't know that statement was a poison pill, and therefore why the D party apparatus hasn't quietly told Beta to sit down, shut up, and enjoy his (completely unearned) federal paycheck while he can.

29. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

That would be correct

30. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

How would this get extra votes? I see it as very marginal.