Betty White on SNL

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by orangeblack&gold, May 9, 2010.

1. orangeblack&gold

orangeblack&gold 500+ Posts

Anyone else glad they stayed up late or hit record on the DVR for Betty White host spot on SNL this week?

Thought it was great and really felt that the cast loved it as much as she did and the audience did. You can tell when a host's week doesn't go well after the show when the host will thank everyone and then stand there by themselves and one or two of the cast members will sidle up to them to briefly hug them while the rest of the cast talks among themselves. You could tell the kids loved having her there and the flowers were a nice touch.

This was a heck of a SNL and it was great to see all the ex-cast members show up throughout the show. Hope that the guys do that for next week's show. Wife was disappointed that Cheri Oteri was a no-show.

2. Texas0407

Texas0407 500+ Posts

I never really understood the mass appeal and love for Betty White. I figured, being 28, maybe it was because I'm too young to know any of her work. With that said, she nailed it last night. Beginning to end, every single sketch was funny as hell.

I'm also really looking forward to Alec Baldwin next week.

3. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

4. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

didnt watch, its been so bad the last couple years it has been unwatchable. glad they pulled off a good show for once.

5. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

Anyone else go through a muffin phase in their 20's? Classic!

6. Murphy'sBoy

Murphy'sBoy 1,000+ Posts

Those yeasty muffins can ruin your whole day.

7. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

Enjoyed it too.

Also, Kristen Wiig is outstanding every week.

8. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

i thought the monologue was great and funny, and everything else was just an average SNL show, which lately is not all that good.

Bringing back old cast members and old skits, only highlighted how bad it has gotten. Retreading a "schweaty balls" skit, 5 Magrubers. I stop watching after Weekend Update, maybe something truly funny happened after that.

Maybe they had two guys make out for laughs. That is always so hilarious. [​IMG]

9. IRC

IRC 1,000+ Posts

10. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

I thought it was one of the single best episodes of the season, which isn't exactly saying much. The only sketch which I fully lost patience for was the scared straight one. The rest were kinda-very funny. True lots of them were rehashes, but the fact is the old skits (the census skit seemed like a rehash, in fact) are comic gold compared to the new stuff.

11. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

now that bush is out of office, does snl do political humor anymore?

12. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

13. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

14. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

It must suck to have a one track mind -- and that one track is thinking about a politician ..

i was actually curious. i guess the answer to my question is no then.

15. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Actually, most of the openings are Fred Armisen doing Barack Obama. They're just not as funny because BHO is not as inherently comical as GWB.

16. Longhorny630

Longhorny630 1,000+ Posts

Scared Straight are the ones I look forward to the most. McGruber was very good as well.

17. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

It was the first time I've ever thought MacGruber was funny. But it was.

I was expecting a sketch with the dysfunctional family at dinner. I also thought they could have worked a pretty good Gilley sketch with Betty White.

Overall, it was the best SNL I've seen in years. Betty White was very funny, and even though she's old, she still has the perfect timing necessary for double entrendre.

18. Pentaconta

Pentaconta 1,000+ Posts

I thought it was pretty funny overall. Though after a while, the "wait for the old lady to say something naughty" bit had kind of run its course. Pretty symptomatic of the writing on SNL these days, if you ask me. It is a shame the writing on SNL is so awful after Tina Fey left. I agree it is a major reason why the show is so bad these days.

Most of the regulars on there don't do it for me anymore either, but I can't decide whether it is because they just aren't as inherently funny as previous casts, or if it is yet another symptom of the poor material they have to work with. Or possibly all of the above.

Anyway, Betty White knocked it out of the park. A true professional. The world will be a much less funny place when she passes on someday.

19. shsuhorn82

shsuhorn82 < 25 Posts

I have never liked Kristin Wiig, can't figure out why she is on the show . . .

20. utdrummer

utdrummer 25+ Posts

Typical SNL having to resort to shock humor to get a laugh. I don't understand all the BW love either. She's had a long run of successful shows and can carry her own weight, but SNL was a disaster. I'm surprised she approved most of the skits she was in. I found it base and not funny at all. "Happy mother's day MF's!"...really?

21. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

Comedy is like art- but the numbers speak for themselves. Millions of Americans tune in to the show- and Betty brought in the highest ratings they have had in two years.

It was reported that Betty also stayed up with the cast till 3AM at an after party in a NYC bar- with a 6:30 AM flight to LA. She was awesome!