Bevo vs UGA

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Jan 1, 2019.

1. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

They walked him up to Bevo like he's another 60 pound dog on a leash.

2. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

As I think we all know, we saw an iconic moment last night. They’ll be talking about Bevo XV for decades, and showing that clip.

Don’t Mess With Texas just got a new face.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

UGA was at least 15 feet away doing photo op's. Give me break.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Those farm boys may not know much, but they knew better than to get Reveille too close to Bevo.

Years ago, while UT was playing Baylor at DKR, the handlers of the BU mascot black bear let him get a little too close to Bevo. Old Bevo started to paw the ground and act agitated. I thought we were going to have a "bear and bull" fight right there in the stadium. The Baylor folks beat a hasty retreat.

5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

"UGA was at least 15 feet away doing photo op's.
    That is funny.
    You meant it as joke, right
    15 feet away from a quick strong steer. :bevo:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

No.

7. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

exactly. wrong place, wrong time.

8. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

I understood that someone was setting up a photo op with the two live mascots. Just what I heard, may or may not be the case.

9. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I heard the same thing.

10. Grey But Orange

Grey But Orange 25+ Posts

A very dumb idea to introduce these two mascots. Fortunately neither was injured and Bevo wasn't flagged for targeting.

• Like Like x 2
  11. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Letting frats handle a steer is dumb. Anybody who grew up around cattle knows they don’t like dogs. And this steer has a history of being difficult to control. Get some rurals on the job or keep him in the trailer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

"While it appeared to many that Bevo was advancing aggressively toward Uga X, the steer's chief handler disputed that version of event
    Silver Spur alumni association executive director Ricky Brennes, who is in charge of handling the 1,700-pound steer, said Bevo was simply agitated because he wanted to walk and was being restrained.

"He had kind of gone up and bumped the barricade a few times before," Brennes said. "He ran through the gate and into where Uga's area was. It really was more just unfortunate timing and he wasn't aware Georgia's mascot was there. It had nothing to do with the dog.
    Texas athletics spokesman John Bianco said "all established safety and security measures were in place for Bevo" at the Sugar Bowl, including two halters, two chains and six handlers to hold him."
    UT's Bevo Charges UGA's Uga Before Sugar Bowl

with coverage like this snowflakes will be demanding Bevo's demise.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/01/02/bevo-vs-uga-when-good-mascots-go-bad/?utm_term

13. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Pictures I saw during the game showed an older gentleman standing with Bevo. No SS’s in the pic. Obviously a result of the pregame incident.

14. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Our own version of the running of the bulls! :popcorn:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Luthor Billis

Luthor Billis 100+ Posts

I like it. However, what are we to expect when we play LSU in the coming season. I mean, a Bulldog is one thing, but a Bengal Tiger is a whole other issue. I do, believe however, that XV is so full of youthful strength, piss and vinegar the may toss Mike The Tiger right out of the stadium. :-D

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Randall Ward

Randall Ward < 25 Posts

The Older gentleman was probably the owner of Bevo, I saw him on LHN about Bevo . I think it was the Sunrise Ranch.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. HoffHorn

HoffHorn 500+ Posts

I write this from my New Orleans hotel room as I recover from an INCREDIBLE FEW DAYS here. I happened to be seated right over Bevo last night and I can tell you BEVO XV is Legit BEAST MODE! Our handlers didn’t just have to deal with UGA “incident” as he was clearly agitated most of the game! Someone clearly slipped something into his feed Those handkers did a GREAT JOB!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

:bow:

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  19. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Thanks LC :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  20. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Is that LA with the hook'em at the tail end of the video? Was such a short camera shot...wasn't sure. Would make sense though...

• Like Like x 1
  21. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Yes, that was LA :hookem:

22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

It was a photo op set up by ESPN. As I've posted before, Bevo's pen was too small. At Memorial Stadium, he has room to move around; not so in NOLA.

When they put UGa in the golf cart to bring him across the field (they shared opposite sides of the same endzone), hords of photographers went running to Bevo's pen. What agitated Bevo?

1) pen was too small
    2) 50 more or less cameras clicking
    3) 100 people scrambling toward him
    4) a rolling vehicle near his pen (cattle hate anything with wheels, including things as small as strollers)
    5) a small animal invading "his space"

Any or all, the libtards at PETA can read Sam's wristband because they are the ones that keep him from being juiced or allowing the Spurs to use a cattle prod.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Uga went to the Sugar Bowl
    And left his Bulldog hood
    He saw Bevo standing swole
    And realized things weren't so good
    "I'm wearing red and he's so large"
    Thought Uga deep inside.
    Then out of nowhere Bevo charged
    And Uga nearly died

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  24. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

That was Sunrise Spur (aka Bevo XV) owner ... John T Baker ... who's donated the last three Bevos. (XIII to XV) So ... the group has some experience with this.

I won't take issue with Ricky's comment about Bevo's wanting to walk ... I wasn't there ... but this thread has a vid of UGA being at the panels in clear sight of Bevo ... I reckon he knew the dog was there.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  25. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

The Silver Spurs are not your typical fraternity. The Bakers don't let "just anyone" handle their high dollar asset. I don't know the background of every Spur who grabs ahold of Bevo's lead, but knowing the Bakers a little bit (gracious, generous, attentive, competitive) from the TLBAA show circuit and my sons' own work with them at their ranch's annual showmanship clinic ...

The handlers were qualified and the steer is not hard to control ... as a three year old, he learned to follow his handlers through dry ice smoke into a screaming DKR. You don't do that with an ornery animal.

• Like Like x 1
  26. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I think a people on here might take issue with "typical fraternity." Some of the sharpest people I knew in school were in fraternities.

The whole notion of categorizing seems foolish on here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

Yes ... I get chastised by my UT alum buddy who was in a frat every time I make an honest statement about 'em .... UT Alum buddy who's not a member of the Exes ...

It's almost like he has greater loyalty to his greek alphabet than his Alma Mater. Oh well. Different strokes, eh?

I never saw the advantage. My fraternity was prepping to fly, fight, win. What y'all called hazing we called a nuisance ... in pursuit of "military training."

not chest beating ... just stating that fact ... and my estimation of frats. Service organizations ... check. signed a blank check.

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
    • Hot Hot x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Jawga fan pre-game video

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
  30. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts