Bible verses you've memorized

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by BattleshipTexas, Oct 23, 2008.

1. BattleshipTexas

BattleshipTexas 1,000+ Posts

Okay. The other thread made me wonder what was typical. If some game show stops you on the street tommoroow and is going to give a big cash $$$ prize if you can quote from memory a certain number of New Testament bible verses, including naming where they are found in the Bible, how many could you do? One? Five? Ten? Fifty? The whole New Testament? Just wondering what is typical in Bible memorization for y'all. Assume they give you several hours to think and write them down. No cheating, but getting the verse very close counts, we won't grade off for minor mistakes as long as it is very recognizable and reasonably accurate.

2. TahoeHorn

TahoeHorn 1,000+ Posts

I know "Jesus wept." but it sounds like you're not going to give me credit because I don't know where it came from.

3. Nordberg

Nordberg 1,000+ Posts

Ezekiel 25:17

4. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

Philippians 4:13, Psalm 1 - two that are always in my "back pocket"

5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

6. Blain

Blain 100+ Posts

7. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Always partial to Royal 68:1-30. Ye shall know the truth, and the truth is OU sucks.

8. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I can quote about a half-dozen, but my favorite is this:

Psalms 75:10 -- All the horns of the wicked I will also cut off, but the Horns of the righteous shall be exalted.

9. TxStHorn

TxStHorn 1,000+ Posts

I can't believe nobody has said 3:16 yet

10. Y Sanchez

Y Sanchez 250+ Posts

I Corinthians 9:24

"All runners are in the race, run so as to win."

What can I say I coach track too?

11. Y Sanchez

Y Sanchez 250+ Posts

There's a passage I got memorized.
    Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the
    righteous man is beset on all sides
    by the inequities of the selfish
    and the tyranny of evil men.
    Blessed is he who, in the name of
    charity and good will, shepherds
    the weak through the valley of the
    darkness. For he is truly his
    brother's keeper and the finder of
    lost children.
    And I will strike down upon thee
    with great vengeance and furious
    anger those who attempt to poison
    and destroy my brothers. And you
    will know I am the Lord when I lay
    my vengeance upon you."

I been
    sayin' that **** for years. And if
    you ever heard it, it meant your
    ***. I never really questioned
    what it meant. I thought it was
    just a cold-blooded thing to say to
    a ************ 'fore you popped a
    cap in his ***. But I saw some
    **** this mornin' made me think
    twice. Now I'm thinkin', it could
    mean you're the evil man. And I'm
    the righteous man. And Mr. .45
    here, he's the shepherd protecting
    my righteous *** in the valley of
    darkness. Or is could by you're
    the righteous man and I'm the
    shepherd and it's the world that's
    evil and selfish. I'd like that.
    But that **** ain't the truth. The
    truth is you're the weak. And I'm
    the tyranny of evil men. But I'm
    tryin'. I'm tryin' real hard to be
    a shepherd.

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn 1,000+ Posts

Honestly with the need to quote them I probably couldn't get but John 3:16. I could talk about the lilies of the field and what not, or what love is or putting on the spiritual armor but I have no idea what the sites are for any of those. The beatitudes I can tell you what they are about and all that stuff but I just couldn't quote anything line by line and I certainly couldn't site them.

I think memorization probably didn't make it to my generation but that is just a guess. Older people I know 50's and 60's seem to have spent a lot more time memorizing.

It's funny- I went through a reread of the bible about a year ago to see if there was stuff in there that I didn't know or recognize. I only made it through Isaiah but there wasn't anything I wasn't familiar with. I did gain a great respect for Eclesiasties. It became one of my favorite books in the bible.

I know I know the entire new testament and have read/am familiar with it but not to the point I can quote. I can find a passage in under a couple minutes if I'm looking for it. I think that's good enough for me. I don't generally memorize anything, except probably movie quotes I've seen a bunch of times but that's not through trying it's osmosis.

13. BattleshipTexas

BattleshipTexas 1,000+ Posts

Does the reference (book/chapter/verse) have to be accurate?

Yes. I think they would require that.

What about knowing a whole chapter but not knowing exactly where each verse in the chapter begins and ends?

That would probably be okay as long as you knew the book and chapter. So say you knew Chapter 12 of Romans by heart, you wouldn't have to seperate individual verses.

Yes, I know you were probably being sarcastic, but others may actually answer.

14. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

For a serious answer, like many people, the 23rd Psalm.
    We also memorized the Apostle's Creed and the Beatitudes for Methodist Sunday School lessons, but I don't know the book and verse off the top of my head.

15. The Eyes of Texas

The Eyes of Texas 500+ Posts

The guy said NEW Testament, so Psalms are out.

16. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

17. coachkiss

coachkiss 250+ Posts

At one point about 17 years ago, I had the entire books of Genesis, Exodus, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1st Samuel, 2nd Samuel, Matthew, John, Acts, 1 Corinthians, and James completely memorized word for word. I could tell say Joshua, Judges, and Ruth back to back with no mistakes in less than 2 hours.

If you gave me 10 minutes to freshen up, I could probably rip off James pretty quickly.

In addition to that, I would say there were over 100 verses I could name book chapter verse. Maybe more.

18. RoundhouseKick

RoundhouseKick 250+ Posts

I grew up Catholic, what is this Bible that you speak of?

19. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

Isa 43:18-19

18 "Forget the former things;
    do not dwell on the past.

19 See, I am doing a new thing!
    Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
    I am making a way in the desert
    and streams in the wasteland.

In other words...It's all falling together, not falling apart

[​IMG]

20. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

God is great.
    Good is good.
    And We thank him
    for this food.
    Amen.

21. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

YoLaDu, my friend's version of that one was "Rub-a-dub-dub, thank you Lord for the grub."

22. utexas_61

utexas_61 500+ Posts

23. mop

mop 2,500+ Posts

i could probably quote a few hundred verses from the new testament from memory and half of them i could tell you chapter and verse, the other half i could tell you the book, but may get the chapter and verse wrong......some i would know, but not know the book.

24. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

Romans 8:28 has helped me get through some tough times, too.

25. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I beseech you brethren by the mercies of God that you present your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to the image of this world, but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind..." Rom. 12:1-2

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man cometh unto the Father but by me." John 14:6

"Give diligence to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not be ashamed, handling aright the word of Truth." I Tim. 3:15 (?)

Several others, but I usually forget the chapter and verse. Stupid inability to memorize....

26. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

I thought everyone would have said John 3:16 (remember the Rainbow Guy with the sign at sporting events?):"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish but have everlasting life."

When I was a young lad I grew up in a strict Southern Baptist home that required me going to church a minimum
    of 3
    times a week. If you'd like me to recite the books of the Bible I'd be happy to meet you at a local bar and do that for a pitcher of beer. [​IMG]

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

27. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I still remember the books of the Bible song from Sunday school in like 3rd grade. [​IMG]

28. MaduroUTMB

MaduroUTMB 2,500+ Posts

For we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let throw off everything that hinders and cast off the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with endurance the race set before us, fixing our eyes upon Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him, endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of God the Father almighty.

Hebrews 11.

29. killerfrog17

killerfrog17 250+ Posts

I'm going to go with zero. But I can tell you the ten tallest buildings in Chicago.

30. tallgrant

tallgrant 250+ Posts

Currently have no problems with:

Genesis 1:1
    Deut 25:11-12 (Don't ask)
    Joshua 24:15
    Psalm 23
    Psalm 150
    John 1:1
    Romans 1:17-20
    Romans 3:23
    Romans 8:28
    1 Corinthians 13
    2 Timothy 3:16
    1 John 3:16
    Revelation 13:18

Used to be able to do these full passages, but stumble over portions now:
    Isaiah 53
    Ezekiel 28:11-19

There's about 200 other verses that I can quote fairly well and give a book and chapter but stumble over the verse number.