Big 12 and the Conspiracy

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by jackden, Jun 11, 2010.

1. jackden

jackden 100+ Posts

Big 12 will survive by adding Air Force and Utah, maybe TCU if Aggies leave for SEC. A new Big 12 with 10 members would be just fine. Every school in the new Big 12 must sign a legal-binding contract pledging to stay at least ten years (no early exit clauses; not buyout. Yes, that would include Mizzou), so new TV contracts can be negotiated for at least 10 years. With a new TV contract, Texas would make just as much as in Big 10 or Pac-10.

I was excited by new opportunities in conference realignment, but now I think it is totally BS. Texas was simply played by Big 10 and TV media. They want super conferences and super TV contracts. By taking NU, Big 10 calculates that Big 12 would not survive and they are waiting for Big 12 pending collapse and then cherry-picking whatever they want.

It does not make much sense to have Texas in Big 10 or Pac-12, geographically or culturally. It would make it hard for fans and student athletes (especially non-football programs) to travel and compete. It would also be much harder for Texas to win national championships in football again in a super conference. The importance of associating with elite universities in the same athletic conference is overstated. Look at where Oregon State and Washington St are after playing with Cal and Stanford for decades in PAC-10/8. I don’t believe UT would get easy research grants by joining big 10 either. University faculty members in the same department normally would not help each other to get grants; much less likely for different universities in any conference. Some fans are excited about getting to new places, but would they do the same after 10 years or 20 years in the same conference? There will be up and down years for any football program. What would happen if our football program struggles, like in the pre-Mack years?

UT leaders are making decisions affecting generations to come. The right decision, in my opinion, is that they should do everything possible to keep Big 12 alive, including giving up the Longhorn network. Personally I don’t think the TV network for a single University is feasible, technically and economically. Big 12 network is not just feasible, but would also make everyone in Big 12 happy to stay (UT should get a bigger pie in revenue distribution based on programming).

2. IndyHorn

IndyHorn 250+ Posts

Just look at the time zones involved and the Big 10 is clearly the best choice. Pac 10 schools are largely 2 hours behind Texas. You really want half of you basketball games tipping at 10pm Austin time? Academically, Texas is akin to Michigan and Northwestern far more than Tech, Okie State, OU, and Baylor. Screw the lame watered down Big 12. Nebraska knew what it was doing. I'd way rather play Penn State and Ohio State than Air force and Iowa State. Let's get going, or be left in the sand in SWC part doo.

3. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

Replacing Nebraska, Colorado, and possibly A&M with AF, Utah, and TCU really REALLY would suck. Terribly. Please let this not be the reality.

4. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

5. pjohnson

pjohnson 100+ Posts

God I hope this NEVER comes to pass.

6. Whiterock Horn

Whiterock Horn 1,000+ Posts

Drop Nebraska, A&M, and Colorado, then pick up Utah, BYU, and AFA, and you expect a lucrative contract? No way! Outside of Texas and OU, you're left with a bunch of Mountain West or C-USA equivalents: Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, Mizzou, OSU, Tech, and Kansas. Come on man - think before posting!

7. jackden

jackden 100+ Posts

The old SWC, including a bunch of Texas schools plus Arkansas, existed for 82 years, would probably be still alive and well if not those scandals. Without Nebraska, Big 12 still covers 6-7 states plus decent nationwide followers. If ACC could get a big lucrative TV contract, why not Big 12?

8. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa 500+ Posts

The SW conference couldn't have gotten a TV contract with the Oxygen Network, much less ESPN or Fox.