Big 12 Awards

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by LutherIsMyDog, Feb 28, 2018.

1. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

How is Ariel not a unanimous first team selection? o_O

• Like Like x 3
  3. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Hard to argue with any of the choices although, personally, I would have chosen Braxtin Miller of OSU as the FOY instead of Pellington. Nice to see LaShann be recognized.

Congrats to all three Horns: Brooke, Ariel and LaShann. :hookem2:

• Like Like x 5
  4. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I agree, I would have picked Miller of OSU over Pellington. I had no idea Cox was such a wonderful defensive player. I guess I wasn't paying that much attention to her defense when we played them. If course, I think it should have been Ariel.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Well that's what I said on the other thread. I don't understand Cox over Ariel either. Cox probably had more blocks, but I'm sure Ariel had more steals, but it's also about the little things like not letting your man get the ball, not letting them get a shot off, etc. and everything considered I think Ariel did more to keep the other team from scoring.

• Like Like x 5
  6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Cox and Ariel are different types of defensive players simply by the position they play. Like Ariel does a lot more than just steal the ball, Cox does a lot more than just block shots defensively. I consider her to be Baylor's disruptor in the post. For DOY, I would have been good with either as both are deserving.

• Like Like x 3
  7. geewago

geewago 100+ Posts

Ariel Atkins and Tiffany Jackson are my two favorite TX players for all time. I just liked their style of play and their attitude.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I'm going to be watching Cox's defense from now on to try to figure out what's so great. Does she never let a player get around her? Is her footwork great on the low block, since that's what defense is mostly about. She should have some blocked shots at that size, of course. If she is that much better a low block defender than Audrey-Anne, then I'll be impressed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

yep, watch her, JoeDallas. Like Audrey-Ann, she excels at post defense, including help defense which is the bane of so many post players. Unfortunately, Audrey-Ann got hurt as I thought she would at least end up on the All Big 12 Defensive team, and seriously challenge for DPOY.

And no, she does not make every play but neither does Ariel. :yes:

• Like Like x 3
  10. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

She is absolutely a better low post defender than Audrey Anne. That doesn't mean we can't appreciate what Audrey-Anne has done. Cox was second in the conference in blocks and rebounding.. She also "disrupts" so many other shots with her length and position. Her footwork is amazing. She has really developed between her first and second years and as good as Ariel is, Cox is very deserving of this award.

• Like Like x 3