Big 12 likely to add Championship Game

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by ronich, Apr 29, 2015.

?

Which of the most mentioned teams would you like to add?

1. BYU

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Cincinatti

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. Boise State

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Houston

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. SMU

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. UCF

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. Memphis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. None of the above

13 vote(s)
    37.1%
  9. Is it too late to join the PAC or BIG 10?

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ronich

ronich 100+ Posts

2. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Not necessarily. The B12 has made application to have a CG with less than 12 members. Should know in the next few months.

3. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

If the ACC begins to crumble, there might be an opportunity to pick up a couple. Otherwise Cincinnati is ok and would be in BIG country, Boise doesn't add anything revenue wise being in BFE Idaho, BYU would attract the Mormon crowd. I'd rather see Texas go to the PAC12. Maybe the BIG.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  4. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

5. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

I've said before and i will say again, we really need more schools out there with West Virginia, they are too far away from the conference, having said that I would really like to see Clemson and Fla. St., if the basketball schools continue to piss off conference members maybe with some luck we get a chance at them two. Both schools are well rounded in all sports. but i would take a few others out that way if they were available and major players in the ACC. And Notre Dame might consider playing more in our conference then instead of the ACC.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

The reason to expand a conference is to bring in my revenue, and by that I mean televisions sets. Small-market teams, regardless of how good they are, don't help the conference bring in big dollars. That's why I opposed bringing in TCU. The cockroaches don't dominate their own market -- Texas and OU do.

• Like Like x 1
  7. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

fees like a knee jerk move based solely on what happened last year.

if baylor doesnt lose to WVU or if ohio state doesnt thump wisconsin, then the convo about adding a title game never happens.

8. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Wow! Cool Texanne!! So, are you getting a cut, and if so, how do I get a piece of this action? I got connections in New York and Chicago if that will help...:smokin:

9. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

This means Temple and Belton get added to the Big 12

10. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Tulane and South Florida! I want a trip to new orleans and I think south florida has more potential as a florida school than central florida, but it does not matter between the two. I am against Cincinnati and Boise under any and all circumstances.

Also I am absolutely against a conference championship game if we have 10 teams. A guaranteed rematch is not helpful to the Big 12. See Nebraska-Texas in 1996, A&M-Kansas State in 1998, Texas-Colorado in 2001, Kansas State-OU in 2003, and Missouri-OU in 2007. Also see 2009 Texas-Nebraska killing Colt's Heisman.

History CLEARLY says the Big 12 championship game hurts our chances of getting a national champion. Adding two teams would dilute the revenue.

Honestly I think the rest of the country wants the big 12 to add teams and a title game because they know it is detrimental to our conference.

Finally, I will add I attended the 1999 and 2005 Big 12 title games. I honestly have no interest in ever attending one again and skipped the 2009 big 12 title game even though I went to the rose bowl. I, personally, do not care enough about traveling and spending $ (especially at jerryworld) for a conference title which in the grand scheme of things does not mean anything nationally. It's worse if it is a rematch since I already saw the teams play once that year. That is just personal preference. I feel like if I am going to travel and spend money, I want to see Texas play OU on the fairgrounds or see Texas play an out of conference team that I will not be seeing in Austin on a regular basis.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Tulane (NOLA trip) and U of Hawaii (island trip). I know Hawaii doesn't add much except for a nice trip to the islands for a few days of Horns' football, surfing, diving, and being a drunken beach bum. Tulane is in SEC country but better is going to the Quarter for jazz/blues and partying!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

BevoJoe, you're funny. It's sadly a typo. I'd love to get a cut.

13. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

NB7, sadly, Temple and Belton are not in the same classification anymore. Only on of them would win with any consistency in the Big12.

14. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I was afraid of that, oh well. It is the way of things.:smile1:

15. BV Horn

BV Horn 100+ Posts

[QUOTBrown a
    E="BevoJoe, post: 1388041, member: 471"]Tulane (NOLA trip) and U of Hawaii (island trip). I know Hawaii doesn't add much except for a nice trip to the islands for a few days of Horns' football, surfing, diving, and being a drunken beach bum. Tulane is in SEC country but better is going to the Quarter for jazz/blues and partying![/QUOTE]
    Mack Brown and Deloss have already determined that the cost of fuel is to costly to go to Hawaii. I'm not sure how the basketball team is going to get to China next year.

16. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Sail by Chinese junk to Sanghai then rickshaws to Beijing. They better leave now...

17. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

We could add Bandera if it weren’t for the crappy TV coverage there.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

aUTfan,

Clemson & FSU were in the fold, then little Chuckie NeinASS got involved and we were stuck with TCU and WVU. I like Deloss and am grateful for all the great things he did for The University, but his failure to recognize some people for what they are always mystified me. It is not something that was not discussed with him. Chuckie NeinASS, Donnie Duncan, and Walt Anderson being at the op of that list.

All jokes aside, Deloss was one of the few ADs that recognized that teams playing in Hawaii historically grossly under perform the following week. Worse even than the old Monday night NFL stats.