Big 12 Quarterfinal: Texas vs. Baylor

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by harry_horns, Mar 10, 2016.

1. harry_horns

harry_horns 250+ Posts

Baylor on a 13-1 run, up 19-9. Texas, once again, looks super soft. 10:46 to go in the first half

2. harry_horns

harry_horns 250+ Posts

38-27 halftime. Texas honestly didn't even bother to show up.

16 Texas points came from the bench, 11 from the starter (singular, because all 11 came from Lammert).

Stop me if you've heard this one before: Texas may have peaked before March

3. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Baylor is a nightmare matchup for us..We are playing hard. We just can't handle the size and quickness down low and they can knockdown threes from outside.....On the other hand zones kill us.....we have no outside shooters and our bigs miss easy shots inside 3 feet when they do get the ball inside.

Baylor is a dangerous draw in the sweet 16...

4. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

No...Teams have just learned how to defend and attack us now...Plus we ended the season against some of the better teams in the Big 12.

5. harry_horns

harry_horns 250+ Posts

Sorry, but I disagree. Texas, other than a 22-0 run against OU, has played horrendously throughout the end of the season. Smashed by Baylor twice, destroyed by Kansas, lucked out at K-State (which two players had three fouls before the first half), and took late game heroics to beat Ok St., arguably the worst team in the conference.

This team, other than the one run in 6 games has demonstrated nothing to show they can compete in the tournament

6. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Get out your forks everyone. harry_forks is getting all emotional on us.

• Like Like x 2
  7. harry_horns

harry_horns 250+ Posts

...?

All I've pointed out are the results in the last 6 games, not sure how you took that as "emotional."

I understand some of you are way bent out of shape over the fork comment made over two months ago after Texas lost to TCU, but seriously, get a grip.

@txlandagent by all means, please enlighten me on how I'm so out of bounds with my assessment. Missed layups, bad fouls, bad defense, and again getting throttled by your "rival" does not show me a good performance

8. harry_horns

harry_horns 250+ Posts

9. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

I couldn't resist bringing back the fork @harry_horns

I always want to win but I'm not devastated that we're 1 and done in conf. tourney. I think our #6 seed is locked down. Let everybody rest up: get Cam more healing time and practice minutes to get acclimated to our game plan and let Isaiah rest his plantar fascistitis so we can make a legitimate run in NCAA tournament.

10. harry_horns

harry_horns 250+ Posts

I'm calling 7 seed, but I hope you're right and I'm wrong

11. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

If we draw a team with slow post players and plays man we have a chance. If we draw a team with good quick posts, and plays a zone like Baylor we are one and done.
    We are an average team at best unless our guards are playing over their heads and hitting 3s. We did much better than expected in year one, especially when Ridley went down. Anxious to see what Shaka can do recruiting and putting in his style of play with HIS players.

• Like Like x 1
  12. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Texas got plenty of good looks and just missed the shots. They missed free throws too, and Ibeh again in foul trouble.

Felix, Davis, Yancy, and Mack gives little to nothing and Taylor didn't get going till too late. Your not going to beat ranked teams like that. I think it will do Texas a lot of good to play somebody besides Big 12 teams.

Lammert always gives everything he has, he's not the most gifted athlete, but always shows up, nearly every game.

I wish some of our players that have more athletic ability than him, would give the effort he does.

Ridley still not ready it seems, hopefully another week of rest will help him.
    Taylor is nowhere near 100% healthwise either, he limps a lot lately.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  13. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

Obviously I don't like the result of this game, but I can take it. Considering the situation, especially with Ridley out for most of the season, few expected us to finish in the top half of the deepest conference in college basketball, post a .500 record against ranked teams, and finish the regular season ranked. Yeah, we got bounced in the the first round of the conference tournament, but #5 over #4 is hardly an upset, and Baylor is ranked above us, I might add.

6-seed in the tournament sounds about right. Earlier in the season, most of us probably thought we wouldn't make the tournament at all, maybe not even the NIT. Now we're a lock, and we'll probably win our first game - half of all teams don't. Not only do we expect to be among the teams that make the tournament, we expect we'll be better than half the teams there.

Of course I'd love it if Texas had a Final Four team every year, but I'm happy with almost any year we do better than expected. Shaka seems to have us pointed in the right direction, and moving. This year's been alright, and the best is yet to come.

• Like Like x 1
  14. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

It's just that your pessimism and negativity are so persistent that people get kinda tired of it. Or at least I do. It seems like you begrudgingly resort to optimism only when everything is perfect.

We beat the teams we should (KSU and OSU) and pulled off an upset against a team ranked way above us (OU). We lost bad to the best team in the nation (Kansas), and twice to a very good team we just don't match up with well (Baylor). Plus, we did all of this with injuries that hopefully will improve before the NCAA tourney.

Am I jumping up and down about how great we've played over the last 6 games? No. But the sky isn't falling, either.

• Like Like x 3
  15. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Meanwhile, http://www.secsports.com/bracket/mens-basketball ex UT coach, present UT coach Barnes is doing okay, stomping Auburn by 38 (good, he smashed that smarmy Bruce Pearl, also ex UT coach) and sneaking by #4 SEC seed Vanderbilt by 2 at the buzzer.

Now on to LSU this afternoon.

Nothing here to compare coach Barnes to Smart, just pulling for Barnes in addition to The Wizard of Aus.

Barnes, while he had offensive failings, was the Mack Brown of basketball recruiting while at Austin (TJ Ford, Lamarcus Aldridge, Kevin Durant, just to name 3) and did a decent job on defense. And Barnes seemed to run a clean program and carried himself with class, just as Smart is continuing with.

Not a Volunteers fan particularly, but hope they get by the Bayou Bengals and then get the winner of UF and eAtMe.

Hook 'em

• Like Like x 2
  16. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Ben Simmons and co ended Ricky B from Hickorys run today. Aggy should handle LSU in their semi.

DJ Augustin, Daniel Gibson, PJ Tucker, Tristan Thompson, Myles Turner, the list goes on. Barnes was one helluva recruiter of hamburger allstars and one and dones. I will always follow him at TU and pull for him to succeed; unless of course, he's playing the Horns. :bevo:

17. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I was fine leaving the B12 tourney early.
    This team looked tired to me the last few games.
    Our freshmen have not played a season this strenuous and Taylor is obviously feeling the effects of his foot injury.
    We weren't going to win this tournament this year.
    This team has played it's *** off to overcome some great adversity and end up with 20 wins.
    I would rather see them rest up and give the NCAAs their best shot.
    It will be nice to get out of the B12 for a change.

• Like Like x 2
  18. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

"We play all season to see who wins, ... then we play one game to see who loses."

AE Lemons, asked about the newly started Southwest Conference end of season conference tournament