Big 12 SEC Bowl Agreement

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Rayug, May 18, 2012.

1. Rayug

Rayug 100+ Posts

From CBSsport sources:

Champions of SEC & Big 12 will meet in a bowl if neither team in natl semis, sources told.

It is hard to imagine a scenario where both conference championship teams were not at least in the semi-finals.

Announcement later today.

2. gdu

gdu 1,000+ Posts

lame. That might happen once every 3 decades.

3. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Ironically the main attraction for this matchup would pretty well be wiped out by the playoff proposal. Oh, we're not supposed to call it a "playoff", right?

4. gdu

gdu 1,000+ Posts

5. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

6. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

Either the two #2 teams from each conference will play each other, or the #1 team that was left out of the big game in favor of the Big or the Pac will play the #2 team from the other conference. That's still a pretty good game as a consolation prize.

7. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Sounds like they will be adding an additional BCS type Bowl, my guess is the Cotton will be included in the BCS rotation with the new playoff solution.

Alternating the showdown between the Sugan and Cotton would be my guess.

8. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

Alamobowl contract us up in 2013 so I suppose that will change also.

9. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

I'm whelmed. [​IMG]

Actually, I've moved to impressed, now that I've had a chance to think about it. I think bringing Chuck Neinas aboard as interim commissioner is the best move this conference has made since it was formed.

10. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

So aggy's chances of playing us in the future just increased.

(I couldn't type that without laughing.)

11. 3nnsang

3nnsang 100+ Posts

Hopefully this'll increase the chances of FSU and/or ND of joining our conference [​IMG]

12. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

I get a completely different understanding reading this... This makes a lot more sense. It's just like the Rose Bowl. Same setup.

13. GabeRocksSocks

GabeRocksSocks 1,000+ Posts

14. tholly

tholly 1,000+ Posts

I expect the B12/sec coalition will ask for the same consideration now as the B1G/Pac ask for with the Rose Bowl. The next faze of the 4 super-conference NCAA football.

15. Gontex

Gontex 100+ Posts

South Austin is right. The aggies now have a snowball's chance of roling thru hell to play the Horns again..

16. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

This board certainly makes me go out and increase my knowledge of worthless information.

I'd give a plug nickel to anyone who can name the first five bowls. The Rose was first in 1923. Prior to that it was called by different names and played in other stadiums. 12 years later the Sun bowl was played along with the first Orange and Sugar. Two years later the Cotton bowl classic was formed.

I would never have guessed that the Sun Bowl was the second oldest bowl.

17. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

If you create or schedule another bowl game for teams that didn't make it to the 'final four' in football, aren't you just creating another bowl for people to diss because when you're playing there the world knows you're not playing for the MNC?

18. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

This sounds like good news. So, if in some year the standings ended--I'm just making this up:

1. Alabama 10-2
    2. USC 12-0
    3. Notre Dame 11-1
    4. Texas 12-0
    5. Georgia 11-1
    6. Louisville 10-1
    7. Oklahoma 10-2

Then it would be Georgia-OU in the new game.

19. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

What are the chances the Big East and ACC Champions decide to start playing each other as well?

20. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

Spoiler.. .this a rambling post with first 90 percent accurate, rather it's what I'm hearing on the radio right now (since 5 pm). The last speculation is my view. Here goes. If you're in Austin, or online, tune in right now to 104.9 FM. The Link

I may be off base, but just listened to a long call-in with Chip on 104.9 and this thing is bigger than this thread is making it, and it's not exactly as is being talked about here.

If I have been following things correctly, nothing is in place for any playoff / 4-team setup.
    It's all speculation.

Second, this starts in 2014. The next bowl season is 2013. So this next season is the last as things stand now, then this takes effect.

This game circumvents the BCS and all bowl games and all networks.
    This is a hijack of the two conferences taking ownership of their bowl game.
    Everyone else is out. ESPN, ABC, all of them were notified you're not setting up this game (if I heard Chip correctly on this point). The two conferences are running the show on this game. Place to be decided.

It's a complete overthrow of the bowl system.

Think of it this way.
    The SEC and Big 12 have arranged for their conference champs to play a New Year's Bowl Game.

Period. Starting in 2014.

There's your title game right there. If I'm the two conferences, I don't pay attention to anything else. No poll. Nothing. The two conferences play it off. Who the hell in the country is going to say the winner of that game is not the national champion.

Okay, that's my private blog report. Now I'm a spin-master like the other blogs!!! [​IMG]

But, seriously, except for that last part, the rest was talked about between Chip, Chad and Ketch. But it seems to me that the BCS Bowls are completely out of the loop, and it makes no sense to me that any effort to arrange a 4-team bracket makes any sense. If you're the SEC why would you care? And you have a bowl arrangement with a conference that has OU and Texas. What the hell else do you want?

There was a rumbling in that radio conversation of Notre Dame getting closer to a decision making moment. If Notre Dame opts to go all in with the Big 12 in all sports.....

Game over. Done.

21. TheContractor

TheContractor 250+ Posts

Yeah that could happen but there would be very minimal $ there.
    Also, if (and the % chance of this occurring just went up with this deal) Big 12 adds 2-4 Acc teams, then Sec will probably add VT and someone.
    What would the Acc be left with?

22. thorny

thorny 25+ Posts

i agree that this is huge, and more so than previous posters. this could be the biggest news in college football in 20 years. the b12 and sec create a rose bowl equivalent to neutralize the rose bowl lobby. any time the rb folks make a demand, the b12/sec can say - we get that too. but the best part imho is that we've not only neutralized the rose bowl influence but we've massively trumped them. the rose bowl being bound to tradition will start at 4pm. the b12/sec game starts at 7 pm with the rb as a warmup act. should have a larger tv audience and bigger payoff. moreover the rb belongs to a bunch of old guys in pasadena who suck off a ridiculous amount of money that should be going to the schools/conferences. the new game will not have that issue. the conferences organize the game, take all the money. last but not least there is no reason why the game should be in the same place every year and i intensely doubt that it will. the conferences can bid it out to the highest bidder every year for increasing payouts.

the benefits to the b12, the hurt it puts on the acc, and the pressure this will put on notre dame are obvious.

23. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

I don't know what drugs Chip is on but this is from the Yahoo! article:

If one or both of the league champions are selected to play in the playoff, another team would be selected for the Big 12-SEC bowl showdown on Jan. 1.

So, as previous posters have said, at least one of these champions will be in the playoff. Both more than likely will be in the playoff.

I still like the idea and cannot wait for all of this to happen.

24. tholly

tholly 1,000+ Posts

"Another team will be selected" sounds too much like the current system. We could have a 10-2 Texas vs a 7-5 aggie as replacements for the teams in the playoff. I'd rather have the highest ranked teams be assured of placement. Or another possibility, Fla vs FSU in Dallas

25. jdelatorre

jdelatorre 500+ Posts

So aggy's chances of playing us in the future just increased.

I will take the opposing view on this. Dodds is a genius he signed us up for a game (potentially) with the sec that most certainly will never include aggy. The game will be Texas, OU possibly WVU, OSU, TCU, Tech vs. Alabama, Florida, LSU, possibly Georgia, Auburn or USCe; aggy not so much.

26. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

With this, I say screw any 4-team playoff. For instance, who... I mean really... WHO is in charge of even declaring this and that to be a playoff? Says who? The Playoff Fairy? We've already been through this nuttiness of the BCS pretending to pick and choose.

The way things are turning upside down on a regular basis regards conferences, I give any so-called proposed 4-team setup about as much chance as a fart making it through a hurricane. To me this SEC - Big 12 bowl arrangement changes everything.

The whole damn midwest to southeastern part of the US is going to want to see the game between the two big horses in these conferences, and screw any other panty waist game.

The best of those two conferences... there's your title. 'nuff said.

I'm selling any proposed 4-team whatever. That idea was before Friday. Now let's see what happens over the next 6 to 12 to 18 months.

27. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

28. Hornitos

Hornitos < 25 Posts

29. Lake_Travis_Horn

Lake_Travis_Horn 500+ Posts

I see this as one of 2 ways:

1. The SEC and B12 are tired of the posturing and demands the B10 and PAC have made about the RB. They've trumped that and established a game that, despite the absence of tradition, will be more important virtually every year than the RB. It will also, as others have pointed out, bring more money to the conferences by eliminating the BCS middlemen. By bidding it out each year, they could make it extremely lucrative.

2. The SEC and B12 are tired of the posturing and demands the B10 and PAC have made about the RB. They've established an alternative to the playoff. If the B10 and PAC keep digging in their heels to protect the RB, then the B12 and SEC can say "Screw it, we'll just play our game every year, and in most years it will be the de facto championship game." This pulls the B10 and PAC back to the table.

3. OK, a third thought, following up on the mention above of a possible ACC-BE game. If someone sets up a game matching the 2 highest ranked independents/minor conference teams, we now have the basis for an 8 team playoff. The only downside is that you may often have the B12 and SEC match up the two best teams in the quarterfinals. After a couple of years of that happening, though, they'd likely go to a seeding process, at least for the 3 non-RB games. I like this scenario.

30. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

DeLoss stated on LHN that the pot for this game could be around the $40 million range. Maybe a little lower, perhaps even higher.
    He also mentioned that he still prefers a 10 team conference.