Big 12 Title Game

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by rreading, Nov 7, 2017.

1. rreading

rreading 100+ Posts

To me, I had a hard time feeling that a rematch would be useful. Think that the conference is feeling a bit foolish almost forcing itself to eliminate itself from the playoffs?

2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

NO! "The conference", more specifically the school presidents and little Bobbie Bowelsby, may be the single most ignorant group to ever meet in one room in history. There is absolutely not one single reason to have a conference championship game, other than to completely eliminate the chance of ever getting two teams in the final four, and probably won't get one in 9 out of 10 years.

It would have been a great idea, Bobbie, if you hadn't stood there with your thumb up your butt while Chuckie NeinASS pissed off FSU and Clemson causing them to withdraw their request for membership. Worthless as tits on a boar hog.

• Like Like x 2
  3. 806 Horn

806 Horn 25+ Posts

It’ll more than likely screw OU or TCU. When it screws Texas, I’ll give a damn.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The only winner will be Jerry Jones (but then he always wins except on the football field).

• Like Like x 1
  5. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

It was a knee-jerk capitulation to a stream of no-nothing talking heads on ESPN who kept blaming the Big XII shutout on "not having a true champion" - which of course was the one thing the Big XII format had going for it. So to make a bunch (theoretically) of money and fix a problem that wouldn't have existed had the league created a coherent tie-breaker rule - and frankly was only a problem because of ESPN talking points that kept getting repeated ad nauseum, we collectively said "Hey - it's more important for people to think we're doing SOMETHING to avoid sinking the ship that is this conference than it is for us to be relevant in the national championship picture."

• Like Like x 3
  6. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

And funny, too, that when the Big XII had divisions and a Championship game, ESPN, et al, had no issue with the PAC 10 and Big 10 crowning their champions through the round robin system. Remember that before the Saban Alabama SEC love fest began? I do.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Actually, this strangly could potentially be a year the Big 12 title game is helpful. I am against the dumb rematch as history already has shown that rematches hurt the Big 12 more than they help.

That said, because things tend to work out that way, the stars could actually align for a positive Big 12 title the first year.

How? TCU and OU both lost to Iowa State. If Iowa State wins out and OU wins out or TCU wins out and West Virginia loses a game, we would have a TCU or OU versus Iowa State Big 12 championship game.

This is the rare scenario where the two potential #1 in the standings teams/playoff teams could actually face the team they lost to for a chance to redeem themselves.

This only happened twice during the first iteration of the championship game, however the first time it did not matter and the second time it hurt the Big 12.

In 1999, Nebraska beat Texas in the rematch after having lost to Texas in the regular season. The rematch win did nothing for Nebraska’s national title hopes. Nebraska was already #3 and would have been in the top 4 for a playoff (if one existed) before the rematch. The rematch win did not cause Nebraska to jump undefeated Florida State or undefeated Virginia Tech and get into the BCS title game.

In 2007, Missouri lost to OU the first time. Missouri ended up in a rematch against OU the second time. Missouri, however, did not need redemption as it was ranked #1 going into the Big 12 title game. Losing to OU again and falling to #7 not only would have knocked Missouri out of playoff if one existed, but it did knock Missouri out of the BCS bowls completely (and Kansas, who Missouri beat, ended up going to the Orange Bowl and winning it).

In 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2005, the better team faced a rematch against a team they already beat that could only hurt them and would not help them in any way.

I would like to state I would ideally like to see a TCU-Iowa State rematch with a TCU win just to see if it actually helps TCU or not. If TCU gets in over other 1 loss teams in a contested ranking and was not ranked in the top 4 before the championship game, it could be argued the Big 12 championship actually helped. If TCU does not get in after beating Iowa State, it would prove the game is meaningless and what is holding TCU back is their jerseys do not say “Oklahoma.”

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  8. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

There is a reason. It's called money. The Big 12 guarantees itself more money each year with a CCG than without. The Big 12 doesn't get all the money if a Big 12 team is in the CFP.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure.

The teams participating in the final four get two shares, the rest going to the conference. Take samples of having one team play two playoff games versus none? Take samples of having two teams in the final four versus none.

Then there is the media prestige of being one of "the conferences" always having teams playing for the championship really comes into play when TV contracts are renegotiated. Bowelsby, Fenves, et al should be very proud of themselves for helping destroy the Big XII with their short sighted and overwhelming stupidity.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

I liked the one true champion mantra. Everybody plays everybody. Nuff said. No Wisconsin ez peasy schedules missing the big dogs.

Then Big 12 brass tried to get cute and name co-champions between Baylor and TCU. Stoopid.

Then the genius Big 12 brass decide it's better to make Texas beat OU twice in a given year to be conference champs. Idoits

I want to steal two teams from power 5 conferences who could use a change of scenery. Don't know if it's possible but I would make a run at Nebraska and Arkansas to come back home so to speak. Call me crazy

11. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

I would be ok with Arky and Brasky.

• Like Like x 1
  12. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

TCU could go into Norman and win 50-0, win every remaining game, including the CCG, 50-0, and they would not be in the playoffs. When they get white helmets with a Longhorn on the side, or crimson helmets with a white paper clip on the side, they will be the #1 seed. Until that happens, they have no chance.

The revolution will not be televised.

• Like Like x 2
  13. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Return of NB, Ark or Aggie all ok,,,,but never Mizz or Colo

14. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I'm fine with Mizzou, but not Colorado. Colorado and West Virginia in the same conference? No offense, Hawaii football, but traveling that distance for college football is stupid.

15. Longbomb

Longbomb 500+ Posts

The most likely outcome this year is now an OU v TCU rematch. The rematch will be a neutral field, and TCU winning will mean the Big 12 is shut out of the post season again.

The CCG was a stupid knee jerk decision.
    The Big 12 leadership are idiots.

• Like Like x 7
  16. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

You do know none of these programs want anything to do with our conference, right? They left the B12 / SWC for greener pastures. We're the proverbial dumpster fire as a conference football-wise, we have to stop dreaming it's coming back to what it was. Hopefully the PAC extends us an offer but it won't happen anytime soon

• Like Like x 1
  17. rreading

rreading 100+ Posts

Perhaps the PAC would be more interested than usual. We still have prestige but not as much clout. They could get a better deal if there was dealing to be done. Unfortunately, we’re waiting until 2021, as I understand it. Hopefully we’ll be in a stronger position by then.

18. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

19. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

So basically the only way TCU doesn't go is if they lose to Baylor and end up in a head-to-head with Iowa State. So basically as long as Texas, OSU or WV are involved in the tie, I think they end up winning the tiebreaker. So that means any combination of Texas over Tech, OSU over Kansas, K State over Iowa State or West Virginia over OU will make it TCU and OU in the title game.

So basically TCU's safe: we will have an absolutely horrible rematch in a conference game that should never be played and will do absolutely nothing positive for the league other than make some extra money.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Nothing would make me happier than TCU upsetting OU in the rematch managing to both knock OU out of the playoff and derail a potential Mayfield Heisman.

• Like Like x 3
  21. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

I believe these two teams are the best two in the conference this year and now they play at a neutral site. The first game was an advantage for OU due to home field advantage. I think it will be a very good game and it wouldn't surprise me if TCU wins it.

22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Every Big XII school president should be forced to attend this game and not allowed to leave his seat until the debacle is over. Then each should be forced to return to Las Colinas to fully read and and examine the financial consequences of their stupidity in the coming years.

I grew up in Southeast Texas understanding the meaning of the term most suited for their ignorance, but it is no longer appropriate to use, but damn it fits these people.

23. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I've been saying Arkansas should be our #1 target for over 10 years. Their move to the SEC has not worked out for them at all.

WRT Neb, I was in Omaha last week for work. I was in a room full of Huskers and they were lamenting how bad their team was this year, specifically pointing out they got drubbed by the Gophers, of all teams, which made them the laughingstock of the Big 10. I was wearing a UT shirt and said, "hey you could come back to the Big 12" and they mostly replied, "We would LOVE to come back!" Not that the opinion of fans means anything, but it does say their hatred for UT and the Big 12 is perhaps overstated.

• Like Like x 1
  24. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Only him doing something worse than he's already done, which is a lot, could cost him the heisman. He's jerk who's a great college QB. To deny his talent is wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

He is possibly the best game manager in college football. He is not a superb talent. He is OU’s oline, running backs and WRs. I flat deny it.

I have seen Texas play him 4 times in person and he never impresses.

26. I_Dont_Exist

Didn't say he's a great talent. He's not. That's why i specified college QB. Major wasn't either. The way he keeps plays alive with his feet by itself is gold. And he's played in a lot more games than those four.

27. I_Dont_Exist

Now I realize talent wasn't the best word to use. Let's go with ability.