Big 12 Tournament Bracket

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Mar 5, 2015.

1. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

I'm a fan of Mulkey as a coach - one of the best in the business. However she's ridiculous for criticizing Aston about when she decides to pull her starters. Mulkey pulled hers as part of a victory demonstration. We were still trying to make the game respectable. She needs to stick to coaching her sideline, not ours. BTW Mulkey and Aston are friends and Mukley lobbied for Karen to get the Texas job. I just hope it wasn't because she knew she could beat her over and over (joking).

2. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Mulkey talking smack about Texas players... what a piece of work. I guess being filled with that much negativity is why she always looks like she swallowed a can of paint thinner.

Kim Mulkey responding to media asking her how proud she is of her players: "Everybody wants a shot at us. I think two Texas players have been waiting for this, right? We're going to beat them today and we wanted another shot at them. Well, be careful what you wish for. "

And, of course, Texas being the 6 seed would be the "if you want" in this stupid statement she made: "Well, I always believed the regular season is more important than the tournament. Sixteen, 19, 18 games, an 18-game season means more than coming and playing good for three days. That's why I've never understood why we put so much emphasis on who wins the tournament and they get to get in. Because they got hot for three days? I would start one through five, I would take the first three that won, that puts TCU in because they were third in the league, and then four and five, take those fives. And then if you want six, take somebody who played well in the tournament and at the end of the year."

Funny how that doesn't take into account we beat TCU and Oklahoma twice this season.

Mulkey just needs to worry about Baylor's seeding. And if she were a smart woman, she would realize a stronger overall conference helps her seeding. She should be making the case for more B12 teams in, not less.

She also needs to worry about the obvious lack of a good stylist in Waco. I mean, she doesn't have to drive down to Austin but even a 20 minute drive north to Hillsboro would be an improvement over that mess she pulls together for television appearances. Bless her heart, she looks like something the dog hides under the front porch.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

When I read Brianna's comments about Baylor after the OU win, I knew Mulkey and Baylor would see them. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I understood Brianna's comments (in reply to the reporter's question) to be that her mindset going into the Baylor game would be "we are going to beat them today"; don't think she made a prediction.

4. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

I have no issue with the using the "bulletin board" material if that's what you want to call it. She creates an "us vs the world" culture at Baylor and it makes her successful. Cant knock that. I can however knock an in game comment that she made to her players. If you look at the timeout that Karen took at like the 50 something second mark, Mulkey actually mouths "She's trying to embarrass y'all" talking to her players and referring to Karen. Say what you want about your team and motivate them as you see fit, but I don't think dragging another coach through the mud in the process is necessary. That's why I wanted so much to for us to get a coach with the personality of a Jeff Walz or Pokey Chatman because they speak their minds and it creates an very entertaining dynamic.

5. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Gotta love some of these comments, especially those about that Louisiana Trailer Trash....
    This was Ariel's and Brooke's 1st Big 12 tourney, and Brooke (& sometimes A) looked like Bambi in the headlights.
    We will see what we shall see.. We may pull off some upsets!! We are capable, last night was one of our regrettable OFF nights...I have to reserve any comments on Aston's abilities as a Coach until next year..injuries and some other factors have slammed the team to the floor this year..
    .:brickwall: :hookem2:

6. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

That's a head scratcher about limiting the Big 12 to five teams remark. She is a piece of work.

I want my team to be a winner, but I sure don't want a coach who never hesitates to trash other opponents, their players and coaches. (Refs are free game if they can afford the fines/penalties lol). And to top it off she can't even be a team player when it comes to her own conference. :rolleyes1: :whiteflag:

7. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

I take a middle of the road position on all this. This year I thought we would finally get out from under Baylor's thumb. But Mulkey quietly built up another great team, and next year her recruiting class is ranked ahead of our's, though hopefully Higgs and Hosey will be brilliant from the start. We shall see. Aston has definitely improved the team and our recruiting, to the point that there is hope again. She deserves credit for that. And there's no doubt that some of our disappointing losses were due to personnel. And it wasn't just because we lost Nneka. We had started losing before she hurt her knee. We don't have great shooters, and Texas lacks the shake n bake star scorer that you need to reach the top. I had hoped Atkins, and to a lesser extent McCarty, would provide some of that, but frankly they didn't--though they will doubtless be high level players. I don't know how much of that is due to the limits of those two players and how much is due to the system Aston runs. Would it have helped to run an offense that gave Atkins 15 shots a game and opened it up some for McCarty? It would be nice to know. In fairness, when your guards can't shoot well and you have two good centers 6'5" and 6'7", it makes sense to play an inside out offense. Imani and Kelsey have to be given a lot of touches. But I am beginning to think our offensive pattern limits us, even with our existing personnel. I mean, this team is stuck at 60 points a game. We need to try something else. Other teams make use of great centers, but also create opportunities for medium range jump shots from their guards. I don't pretend to know the exact answer. Maybe its just our personnel; but it looks like a more flexible half court offense might be worth an experiment. And by the way, I don't think its negative to raise these issues. It's fun. We're a fan blog. We're supposed to discuss the pros and cons of the team and coach, as long as we do it in fair, friendly manner.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

guess she is talking about Texas here as we did all of that. And FWIW, we did tie for 3rd. Now, seeding for the conference tournament is a different animal.

Also watched the piece on TWC 08 news and she stated that her team did not have any 6-5 or 6-7 players but did the dirty work and won. Said that Baylor had not been picked to win the conference and they won. Hard to not think that she was taking shots at Texas.

WCBBNUT, I enjoy reading your posts although we don't always agree. And that is what makes for interesting conversations.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

No disrespect but I wonder if you actually watched the team closely.You've talked about mid range jumpers do you not see the ball screen offense that is designed to get the guards open looks from the mid range? A lot of the times when we run our ball screen / two man game offense the screener which is usually Imani or Kelsey and the guard don't do a good job of understanding what to do when the opposing team ices or downs the ball screen. And that is on coach Aston to do a better job of teaching her players what to do when the other team ices or downs the ball screen.

If I didn't see with my own eyes guards getting open looks and not making them or post players and guards missing easy shots right at or around the rim I would be with the people who want to change the offense. Also the free throws that we miss. An example of that was yesterday when we weren't shooting the ball well we had an opportunity to get points at the free throw line which really would have helped and we missed them.

The decision making and unforced turnovers also play into it. How many times do we have turnovers that are not very smart or catch a ball on the perimeter with the defense not really guarding us and pick up or change our pivot foot and travel. Those are some of the reason we are stuck on 60 points and if we changed the offense they probably wouldn't just go away.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  10. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Oh, also forgot to say that Mulkey was NOT saying anything nice to Empress after the game....I am pretty sure it was rude and mean...I just hope someday she gets what she deserves for ALL her dirty tricks and snipes...
    ..the sooner the better....she is a horrible person! :angry:
    :hookem::hookem::hookem::hookem:

11. True2Horns

True2Horns 250+ Posts

That "scarecrow in a push-up bra" has stuck with me all day. LMAO! Won't ever forget that visual! :smile1:

12. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

You all probably read the Boneyard. Several UConn posters were appalled at Mulkey's remarks about Aston. They see her the same way we do.

13. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

There's a post on the Baylor forum which may explain what went down between Empress and Mulkey.

14. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Any hints? Haven't been there in years and prefer NOT

15. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

The way I understood it, a poster saw Kim chewing out a player out on the court, assumed she was going after one of her own players, but when the poster looked, there was only Empress there. I didn't see it, only reporting!

16. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Literally read like 5 posts on their board and im sick to my stomach. I can't even respect baylors fans now. They're so damn stupid. Truly goes to show that winning cures all. I honestly believe KM could say that she hates America on national television and that board would defend Her

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

[QUOTE If I didn't see with my own eyes guards getting open looks and not making them or post players and guards missing easy shots right at or around the rim I would be with the people who want to change the offense. Also the free throws that we miss. An example of that was yesterday when we weren't shooting the ball well we had an opportunity to get points at the free throw line which really would have helped and we missed them.[/QUOTE]

OK, you seem to come down on the side of the debate that says its not the scheme; it's mainly due to the guards inability to shoot well, and also by Aston's failure to teach them the right offensive techniques and decisions on ball screens...plus bad free through shooting.

I couldn't agree more with you that we miss a ton of shots. Actually I am not a passionate member of the change-the-offense faction. I'm just curious. No doubt if we had better shooters, our offense would look a lot better. On the other hand, if the scheme one is using only produces 60 points a game, then maybe one should experiment with some alternative. Like setting up more shots for Atkins in order to see if she could blossom and score a lot. Maybe that would work, maybe not. I don't know. On the subject of mid range jump shots, I still don't think we screen enough...I personally feel that our offense is too predictable and doesn't produce enough of those opportunities. It does produce a lot of good three point looks. If you've got great three point shooters, that offense works great, but we haven't had them. It's like Sherry Coale said: "When they're hitting those threes, you've got your hands full, because you've got to roll the dice somewhere." We just don't hit those threes often enough.

It's all moot, of course. Nobody is going to change their offensive scheme the week before the NCAA Tournament. We are a great defensive team. If we get red hot and make our threes, we could have a deep run.

18. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Out of curiosity, I went to the baylor fan site and immediately left it and took a shower.

Grammatically speaking, that site is a few vowels short of a full alphabet. They are all up in arms that we've "poked the bear" and the next time we meet, Kim won't pull any punches. Well I say, bring it. I'd expect nothing less.

But most amusingly, they continue to parrot Kim's line about "etiquette" and "fine wine" - two things neither Kim nor Baptists are qualified to discuss. Kim Mulkey suggesting there is coaching etiquette? Are you kidding me?

"Pot?"
    "Yes?"
    "Kettle here. You're looking a little dark to me."

At the end Kim definitely says something to Davenport and Empress pulls away. In slo-mo it actually looks like Kim says "FU Girl" but I doubt something like that wouldn't have been headline news. Maybe Kim didn't appreciate the 5 quick points Empress put up after Kim decided the game was over. Who knows what she said.

What I do know is you can take the girl out of Louisiana but the swamp smell stays with her.

#40acres40minutes

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  19. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Opposing coach with trash talk to any player is way out of line whether post game or in game in my opinion. That's not wearing your emotions on your sleeves, that's thin skinned and immature ********.

And yes I went over to their board looking to see what happened with Empress. It's just as disgusting as it ever was.

I wish someone would remind them how she left Griner & Sims in at the end of blowouts with plays run for them including trying to get BG dunks. Because all they see is how gracious a winner KM is at all times. It won't do any good, they're deluded (with a minor few who thought her on camera interview took away from her players and their championship).

I don't think she liked the respect Aston gets from their fan base and need to tweak that sentiment. She's a great coach, but can't help think her mental/egotistical flaws will be her undoing some day.

20. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

"What I do know is you can take the girl out of Louisiana but the swamp smell stays with her."

LOL....

I am hoping we have not heard the last of Mulkey's attack on Empress...I would like the truth to come out!!

I applaud E for not hauling off and b***h slapping her back to Wacko...

:bow:

21. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

DblT81 on Hoopscoop made that point.

Kelsey had a rough two games after an outstanding game against TCU (7-11 from the field). She was 2-10 versus OU and 4-10 against Baylor. That's about the number of shots she takes but way off on percentage. She had good looks, too. If she makes her customary 50-55 percent, the OU game is not as close and the Baylor game would be a lot closer.

I expect her to rebound with some solid games like she has had this season. Kelsey has usually been one of the most reliable scorers the team has had. She just had a couple of bad games.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  22. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

The leap that Keksey made from year one to year two makes me very excited about what she might bring next year. I think as a Senior (and healthy) Imani will be a beast so I wonder who gets the start.

And based on what Mulkey did to her, I hope Empress plays next year like a warrior on a mission. Hell, I hope she plays like that next week!

23. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

I really like Kelsey and Imani, I just wish they played with more of a physical mentality and aggression like Nneka or Stacy Stephens.

24. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Oh how I miss Stacy Stephens. I don't miss the way the refs called her but I miss how she played. She was unstoppable under the rim. They used to triple team her with no luck. :bow:

25. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

She was my favorite player from those teams because of the physical way she played, a beast. She was also a great rebounder. I remember the game aganist Minnesota and Mccarville who was also a great player, she reminded me of Stacy.

26. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I posted a video on the other thread showing what Mulkey did to Davenport. Disgusting...

27. Texex81

Texex81 500+ Posts

I was at the game, Baylor is very physical. We need an answer for that.

Not to be a whiner, but the Baylor band was very obnoxious. At the end of the game, our band fired up The Eyes of Texas. The baylor band started their sad song about 1/3 of way through Texas Fight. Hello, you were the home team, you know the drill. Act like you've been here before. They were classless in other ways. They win some games...

28. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

The idea that the regular season means more than the conference tourney makes sense. I always consider the regular season champs the real conference champs. But arbitrarily limiting the conference to 5 is stupid, as is saying those 5 have to be the top 5 in the conference standings, which, you know, aren't the entire regular season.

Bulletin board material is overrated. You don't need it to get up for a championship game especially.

BTW let's not forget the main takeaway from the conference tourney weekend: ou sucks. I went on vacation for a couple of weeks and didn't have much internet. I come back and we've turned the season back around again and won the rubber match with our biggest rivals.

• Like Like x 1