Big 12 Tournament Day 2: Texas v. Iowa State

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Htown77, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Really big day for the Longhorns today.

Here is the schedule (all times central):
    Final: Baylor 80 West Virginia 70
    Final: Kansas 64 TCU 59
    6:00 PM Texas v. Iowa State ESPNU
    8:00 PM Oklahoma v. Oklahoma State ESPNU

Let's pull off the upset today! Hook 'em Horns! :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  2. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Horns have created some momentum with the victory streak coming at the right time. Holmes is better, Taylor is cutting down the wild turnovers, and if Felix can make a decent % of 3's, this team will win tonight!!:hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

I'm cautiously optimistic tonight. If our bigs play like they did last night and Thomas doesn't turn over the ball, I like our chances. I'd love to be on here in 48 hours talking about what seed we could play our way into with a Big12 tourney championship.

4. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Great to see Holmes make a basket to start the game!

5. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

8-8 at the first tv timeout.

Both teams are 2-4 from beyond the 3 point line.
    Lammert is 1-3 and Yancy is 1-1.

Both teams seem hesitant to go inside so far.

6. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Texas 23 Iowa State 14 10:10 left in the first half

Texas three point shooting update:
    Team 5-7
    Felix 2-2
    Holmes 1-1
    Yancy 1-1
    Lammert 1-3

Felix just hobbled off the court and appeared to be injured. Felix is 3-3 for 8 points. Not a good time for him to get injured.

7. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

I am no basketball ball expert but we look focused today Bill in Sinton must have busted out the voodoo dolls.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Halftime: Texas 36 Iowa State 25

Texas three point shooting update:
    Team 6-12
    Felix 2-2
    Turner 1-1
    Yancy 1-1
    Holmes 1-3
    Lammert 1-3
    Taylor 0-1

Texas held Iowa State scoreless for 9 minutes at one point.

Felix has 10 points, Holmes has 9 points and Lammert has 5. No one else has more than 3.

Let's keep it up horns! Going to have to bring it again in the second half! Iowa State will.

9. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

Keep it up Horns! :hookem2:

10. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I love seeing the team this way. On both ends, hitting and blocking shots. Holmes is having a nice game and no one deserves it more than him. Hard worker, tough, gutsy. Go horns!!

11. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Long way to go. Horns just turned it over. Take care of the ball. Wheres the slash and dish to dunk??

12. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

Jeez, I keep thinking it's the opportune time for Turner 'get it' and start to light it up.
    ... keeps it exciting at my house.

13. militaryhorn

We are the king of choking.

14. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

Turnovers killing us.

15. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Barnes went to the spread out, one on one offense with 10 minutes left. Big mistake. Has his team playing not to lose. This one will take a last minute shot and that was not necessary. Now felix takes the shot too soon. Our team looks lost.

16. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

Guess we'll be sitting on the edge until the announcement on Sunday.

17. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Well, this one is on Barnes, in my opinion. I know many will disagree with this. But he went away from what got the lead early, went to the slow down, and the team lost all rhythm. They played way over cautious the last ten minutes and were playing afraid, which is on the coach. Sorry, but that's what it looked like from here.

18. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

******* Lammert and Taylor cost that game. Impossible to make excuses for that sorry final 3 minutes of play. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the difference between NCAA's and NIT.

19. militaryhorn

F'ing pathetic. We consistently give games away under Barnes. This game is the exact reason why I never expect anything good for us to happen. I don't know enough about basketball to form an opinion on why we do this under this regime.

20. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

don't understand that shot by Felix with 5.8 seconds left. had room to penetrate and get a closer shot or dish. Left too much time on the clock. I know you have to be confident in your shot but you also have to be aware of the time and situation at the end of the game.

21. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

So many stupid things. Can't inbound. Can't get past center court. Take a shot with 8 seconds left?

22. Win

Win 100+ Posts

That was terrible defense by Holland. Pressure the ball as they bring it up! Force them to make a more difficult shot.

23. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

I'm guessing that CHOKE job just got them an NIT bid!!

24. Win

Win 100+ Posts

Inexplicably pull up right before the half court line? Terrible.

25. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

This game really aggravated me. (I suppose it's about me.)
    So, just like that, the Miles Turner era is over.

26. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Just a horrible decision by Felix. Any chance he goes pro? I really can't take another year of him. Can't believe someone would rip Lammert for this game, he helped keep them in it, and he made one bad inbounds pass. On the other hand, Felix makes one pass he has a wide open Holmes in the corner who could shoot with three seconds left and that makes a lot more sense in that situation.

I think they played timid way too long, played not to lose, and you could just see there was no confidence down the stretch.

27. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Lammert had some good offensive possessions early in the game but got slaughtered by the rim on D.

This is why it's so difficult to root for Barnes. When you watch a team like Wisconsin or Arizona play, they don't make the boneheaded mistakes. Sure, they'll lose occasionally, but not typically because they killed themselves.

It's been 7 years since we weren't a "killing ourselves" kind of team. Barnes did exactly what everyone in the arena knew he would do, and Hoiberg took full advantage of it. Barnes coaches like a coordinator calling plays and doesn't have the ability to motivate or limit bad mistakes. Or make halftime/timeout adjustments. We got our asses handed to us out of every timeout.

28. TXLonghorndad

TXLonghorndad 100+ Posts

How many times has I Taylor gone basketball brain dead at the end of games. His whole game is one on one street ball mentality. 10 point lead 3 minutes to go and he grabs the rebound and take off to drive the basket, loses the ball and Ridley fouls. Then he can't even get across mid court in 10 seconds without being guarded. Then he gets the ball with 33 seconds to go and jacks it up instead of working the clock. He's terrible.

And Barnes - zero lineup adjustments during the 3 minute meltdown until Felix comes in for our last possession. Yancy and Turner on the bench.

29. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I think Holland played ok defense. He was one on one with a great shooter, very quick player. Holland could not foul him, or Morris wins the game at the Free throw line. The shot came after a time out. Holland was doing just what Barnes told him to do.

This game never should have come down to a last second shot. ISU scored the last twelve points of the game. Barnes froze the offense and that's what lost the game.

30. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

Hello NIT.