Big 12 Tournament

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by loyallonghorn, Mar 3, 2022.

1. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I like your new coach but you seem to overlook that we will most likely meet up with Mulkey in the Sweet 16 and then yearly when we leave to the SEC. So we can’t move on from Mulkey, but we will move on from Baylor just like she did.

And I will never forgive her for the all-time low of trash-talking student athletes. Pitiful but very Baylor.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  3. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I'm going to have to disagree. Throw it in the trash. An off game. I give Texas credit BUT. These are not statements giving Texas the credit and admitting Texas was simply the better team. Now if she had said, "Texas was the better team, I give them all the credit. They deserved it." No BUTS, Then my opinion may be different.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 14
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Enjoy! :e-heart:

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  8. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Or youtube Bob

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dennis Grady

Dennis Grady < 25 Posts

Lots of moans and groans at the Baylor selection show watch party…:lmao:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Hot Hot x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I don’t know if anybody has already commented on this…..but I JUST have to before I move on. I wonder if Fennelly and fans/players watched the game Sunday. If he thought previous games was physical…….he would have to reassess. The referees did call a few fouls that got Smith and Ebo in a little trouble. However, overall they let the players decide the outcome. There were several hard hedges as well as hips thrown into the defensive player on screens that would have been called in regular season. Make no mistake…….in a championship game the referees don’t want to be the focus and they want the players to decide the outcome by staying in the game. As an example there was one screen that a hip was thrown by a Texas player and the referee felt she had to make a gesture that no foul was there. As a former referee, that display by the referee on plays that there is potential question on is good. It lets coaches/players/fans know she saw it but didn’t see enough to call a foul and play on. Fennelly needs to realize that physical play will ratchet up in the NCAA tournament and they better get ready. This is a real advantage for Texas as they are used to physical play, and may even get to play that way even more.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I can't believe it! LHN is currently airing a replay of the win over Baylor! Have never seen LHN do that for our women in a Big 12 tourney game. Of course, only 1 minute left in the game! Chances are they replay it again.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

And, who exactly are all those folks dressed alike? Baylor only has 8 players on its roster!

:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Just because it was such a source of heartburn for all of us around here earlier in the season I want to point out the Longhorns hit 86% of their Free Throws in the B12 tournament. Clearly some work was put in on FT shooting

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I did this a few days ago…
    Free Throws
    • Non-conference - 163/255 - 63.9%
    • Conference - 270/368 - 73.4%
    • Current 11-game winning streak - 157/197 - 79.7%

• Like Like x 11
  17. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

No kidding. If LHN replays it once, they replay it 1,000 times!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Instinctively, we knew this. Our eyeballs don't lie. But it's great to see it confirmed in numbers. Nice work.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Yes, but look at all those championships agy has since joining the SEC. Certainly proves they would be right up there with Texas, if not ahead, if they were still in the B12.

Oh wait.:yikes:

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

After thinking about this further, I realized my eyeballs witnessed only two periods in our season concerning free throw shooting....before the win streak and after. In other words, I thought the team free throw performance was very mediocre in the early portion of the season, including conference games.

Then, magically, the turnaround occurred. I don't believe I ever witnessed this night-and-day dynamic with a previous Longhorn team. The numbers:
    • First 21 games: 294/448 - 65.6%
    • Next 11 games: 157/197 - 79.7%
    • Season: 451/645 - 69.9%
    I don't see how "practice" could suddenly be the reason. It must be something else, something in the brain of every player. Not sure I could ever explain it.

Was Texas Fight magically born after the 2nd Baylor loss?

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
  21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

One player that definitely found something that works is Lauren.
    • First 20 games (did not include the exhibition): 34/58, 58.6%
    • Next 11 games: 36/46, 78.3%
    That's very significant as she is 2nd on the team in FT attempts (104) behind Rori (123). Her self confidence and assertiveness on the court over the last 11-12 games means she's also going to the line more (2.9 FT per game to 4.2) just as she's started sinking her FTs. Really drives the point home about how confidence and comfort at the FT line can be just as important, if not more important, than form (unless you've got Delle Donne's stroke).

• Like Like x 5
  22. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

You're missing a game. UTRGV? We shot only .565 in that blowout.

23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I am still ticked about Iowa State's Lexi Donarski being voted Big 12 Defensive POY.

For those who watched the game against them on Saturday, who of our players did she guard? I'm assuming mainly Joanne Allen-Taylor and Matharu. Jo finished with 13 points, while Matharu scored 7 points. So, if those were the two, Donarski allowed 20 points scored. When I re-watched the vid highlights posted earlier in this thread, Donarski just sits around on the edge of the very soft zone and rarely even gets close to her player (Matharu); just can't believe that.

As for Donarski's defensive stats, zero rebounds and zero blocks; 2 steals.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  24. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

That was a much bigger head scratcher for me than the Rori 2nd team result. Ayoka Lee, Nalyssa Smith, Rori or a few others would've made more sense.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  25. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

I'm just catching up after going to Kansas City.

Freedom of movement, ha! I guess he means Rori's defense is so quick good Emily Ryan couldn't move anywhere on the court.

• Like Like x 4
  26. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

While at the tournament, I spoke to the Joens family after Texas had just defeated their Cyclones. Brian Joens, Ashley's and Aubrey's father, was complimentary. He also gave my 11 y.o. daughter some basketball advice, encouraging her to practice ball handling every day. As we departed, he wished our Longhorns the best and remarked, "anyone but Baylor winning is a good thing" since Baylor has dominated the conference for so long.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  27. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

I have not seen Bickle's tweet, but I appreciate her lunch pale/workman like effort on the court. What Bickle does for Baylor is akin to what Audrey Warren means to the Longhorns. Just blue collar hustle players.

28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Actually I have always had an appreciation for her efforts on the court as well, as she plays an important role for Baylor IMO. But that mouth is one of the main ones that needed to be shut.

Be careful about laughing first because you might not be the one laughing last...

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Thank you Austin Bear.

I'm probably in the minority here. I love Kim Mulkey and what she's meant and brought to Baylor. Prior to Mulkey, Baylor women's basketball was perennially at the bottom of the league (except in the mid-1970's). But Kim turned that program around and set the standard in the Big 12 for everyone to chase.

I subscribe to the tide lifting all the boats up and Baylor under Kim has done that for the Big 12. And finally Texas under Chris Del Conte made the bold move to chase after and spend the money on Vic Schaefer to compete against Baylor.

Ever since hearing Nicki Collen's introductory conference, I have loved her. It's a difficult position she finds herself following a legend. I've also been able to watch the Baylor basketball coaches streaming show on ESPN+ and just wow, she's separated from her family as they have remained in Atlanta while she is in Waco. What a tough situation she finds herself in.

I wish Baylor and Coach Collen the best.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

WCBBNUT, was there ever any information on what Kim Mulkey had said to Empress Davenport?

I recall Baylor was leading by about 20 pts, and she subbed in her bench players who played minimal minutes. But Aston kept her starters in a full-court press and cut the lead to something like 10 points. Mulkey was upset and responded by re-inserting her starters to finish the game.