Big 12 Tournament

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by loyallonghorn, Mar 3, 2022.

1. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

On the sidelines, she was mouthing “be careful what you wish for”..... I have no idea what she said in her ear. I met Mulkey through a friend who knew her. She was friendly, gracious and even got me tickets in a good location for the Tx game at Baylor. However, after this display of trash talk to a player, my opinion changed drastically.

• Like Like x 5
  2. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

That has always been the story about KM. Anyone who's ever met/spent actual time with her (myself included) comes away feeling like she is a very authentic and genuinely good person. Her antics on the court (if she's not your coach) make you feel the complete opposite.

• Like Like x 2
  3. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Still wouldn’t want Mulkey as coach representing “my team” precisely because of her unacceptable behavior on the court (not to mention press conferences) no matter how authentic she may be elsewhere. Nope

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

When asked by reporters if UT hoped to meet Baylor again in the tournament, Davenport replied that they looked forward to a rematch. In the final few minutes when it was apparent Baylor would win, the adult Coach trash talked “Watch what you wish for” to the student athlete. Later in line she placed her hand around the same player’s neck and said something that caused the player to pull away forcefully while removing the adult coach’s hand.

If Mulkey had an issue with Aston, she should have addressed it with Aston.

You realize, of course, this is the same adult who suggested fans should use violence to respond to anyone questioning how Baylor handled the sexual assault scandals... a comment that was received with overwhelming criticism from fellow coaches.

The new Baylor coach is proof that you don’t have to lower your standards of decent behavior in order to achieve success.

I didn’t dislike Coale when her teams beat us. I didn’t dislike Sharpe when Tech was competing for championships. I am a huge fan of Pat Summitt. I have grown to respect Geno. I didn’t dislike Dawn Staley when her team knocked us out of the tournament last year.

I dislike Mulkey because her actions while a representative of the sport are deplorable. A winning at all costs attitude usually comes at all costs. I’m grateful my daughter didn’t play for her and delighted none of my extended family have attended that institution.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
  5. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

The friend who introduced me to her knows her very well. I spent over an hour and a half sitting and talking with KM. She was as down home as they come. It was incredibly gracious of her to make sure I had excellent seats at the Ferrell Center. That was a year later and she still remembered me and that she had told me to call her if I ever needed anything. She literally opened up four seats for me near the Texas bench that were blocked off. While I don’t respect her sideline antics or what she did to Empress, she is an outstanding coach and I will always be grateful for her generosity and keeping her word to me. I can only speak from my personal experience. I can also attest that a Tx fan who sits close to me near the scorers table, yelled very nasty things at her as she approached KA for the handshake after they beat us. She didn’t deserve that. So while I certainly agree that her behavior leaves a lot to be desired, I don’t hate her or hold as much ill will towards her as most on here...and that is based solely on my personal experience with her.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Mad props for this content by the social media team. If I could get tomorrow off, I’d endure the hell that is southbound 35 to be at the game.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

It's awesome watching them celebrate what they worked so hard for.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  8. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

That's a special video. I hated the accompanying music where Vic's talking in the locker room pre-game. Otherwise, I love the splicing of Craig Way and Brenda Van Langen's voice.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Thanks for posting and righting the ship. For a moment I thought I had logged in to a bailor board.

• Like Like x 1
  10. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

That was awesome! Thanks for posting. You could certainly feel the joy. My two favorite shots were Gaston's block (which I felt all the way in Dallas) and Vic's jumping up and down after getting sprayed in the locker room.

• Like Like x 1
  11. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Thanks WCBBNUT. It really seems like many head coaches at the top have very thin skin especially if they have to retort against what a player says.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, it PO’d me that Carolyn Peck said that Baylor lost b/c of Smith’s “injury”…BS…they LOST b/c WE played better, faster, smarter!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Exactly... we let them know we were going to win that game from the opening moments.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Never a good idea to talk trash on a rival school's message board.

Enjoy that stat and the rest of the NCAA tourney as both your men's and women's hoops teams way underachieved this weekend and got deservedly bounced in huge upset fashion . . .

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2022