Big 12 Tourney

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Creek, May 25, 2022.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

DuP had his best outing today and did what was asked of him.
    It’s been tough getting back in the groove after his surgery. But he has good stuff.

:clap::clap::clap:

2. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Overall, this was a big win for us. This was a Johnny Allstaff day and they gave up 2 runs to a very hot-hitting Okst team. It showed we can beat a good team when Hansens not pitching. I agree if we can beat OU tomorrow we should get a Super. Who we gonna start? Eckhart perhaps?

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. STHAustin

STHAustin 250+ Posts

I am so, so happy for Stevens' success in his new role.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Let’s baffle them and start O’Bannan.

Say you over there—you 18 year old…. It’s the Championship game, at a major league ballpark, on national tv, with 15-20,000 fans, and you’ve never thrown a pitch in college. You’re starting!

• Hot Hot x 1
  5. mmsnake

mmsnake 250+ Posts

Great win by the horns. Flatline came to play. Olivarez has been solid. I really don’t get the stevens close with 9-2 lead. He could have started tomorrow. Nixon hasn’t thrown a pitch. Hansen could throw a couple of innings tomorrow

6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yes indeed!

Some appreciation for Trey Faltine!!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    :cheernana::cheernana::cheernana::cheernana::cheernana:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Phil Elliott

Faltine is a hothead and he hits like it. Hes 0-5 one day with 4 Ks and the next day he has 3 hits.

• Hot Hot x 1
  8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Not sure if the game tomorrow determines super regional. We could win and not mean anything (other than to beat OU). However, I do like the experience the bullpen is getting this weekend.

9. mmsnake

mmsnake 250+ Posts

Hard to say if a win tomorrow gives us a super. Maybe a chance. Bullpen experience has been good. We have a championship lineup, a championship defense, 2 very good starters. The bullpen is the big question mark. If they can peak at the right time we have a chance.

10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I really appreciate the power and clutch hitting he brings from the ss position. And his glove! Trey’s sole weakness—going golfing after low balls in the dirt.

11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Well, there’s also Gordon—our co-ace of the staff.
    2.5 or so ERA. Best in the conference.

12. mmsnake

mmsnake 250+ Posts

I agree with both comments on faltine. He is a very good ss and hits well for a ss. He can be a hot head. The thing that bothers me most about him is when he gets hit by a pitch. He always stairs down the pitcher. Even if it’s a curve ball. It’s so bush league. Overall he is a very good ss.

• Hot Hot x 1
  13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I dunno. I look at it differently. When a major league batter gets beaned—he often charges the mound and physically hits the pitcher with his fists. Almost never happens in college. So getting pissed off and charging the mound is actually a major league move—the opposite of bush league.

Now I wouldn’t want our guys doing it because they’d get ejected. Only worth it in a throw away game. You know, mid-week up 10-2 vs UTRGV or something.

14. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

I dont think tomorrow will impact a super, that ship has sailed. But given that Texas slipped back to 18 RPI with loss to OSU this morning it still could impact the regional host either completely solidifying it or leaving us sweating out an overnight wait for the selection show. So take no chances and go get that win. Everyone but Hansen and Gordon are available for use.

15. Phil Elliott

Robin Ventura not so much. :yes:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Stevens has been throwing in relief several times so he will be limited tomorrow to a couple of innings I would think at most. Pierce in my opinion is just trying to get Stevens’ confidence back, remember, this weekend isn’t the prize, it’s omaha. Doesn’t matter where we r playing, we have to get our guys ready for the regional/super/omaha, this team is good enough to win it all and win no matter where they are sent. Surprised we haven’t seen Nixon yet to be honest but he’s very capable so maybe we see him tomorrow. We need him for the run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I think Stevens is being used as a closer because Nixon is unreliable. In terms of 2-3 BB and HBP per inning, Nixon has been very reliable.

18. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Game is on espnu tomorrow

• Like Like x 2
  19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

It was on ESPN+. Same as most of the tournament games.

ESPN+ is a great app in that you can get most games. But sometimes the camera work is sub-par (on a high school AV television show level), and they can drag in some goofy and annoying announcers at times…

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 28, 2022
  20. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Yeah, I understand he has lately and people want to never see him again, but he had it at one time. He could very well become a hero in omaha. His stuff is still there, I hope he gets some work tomorrow, I feel we will see him again and perform at the level he was at in the beginning of the year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Right. His stuff is great. Mid to high 90s fastball and a slider that drops to the basement right at the plate. His challenge—fastball control. He needs an inning or two tomorrow.

And Stewart is Nixon Jr. Very similar stuff. And some control issues to work through.

22. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

What an unfortunate spellcheck correction.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

I don’t think a Super is out of the question at all. Probably need to beat OU. Don’t forget our RPI/ Stats etc…
    It’d look bad if a Big 12 team was left out and we are the hottest Big 12 team right now.
    Everybody has warts but Tennessee and we beat them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. mmsnake

mmsnake 250+ Posts

Chop, major league players only stair down, have words, charge the mound if they think the pitcher is intentionally throwing at them. And if the pitcher is intentionally throwing at them to send a message they aren’t throwing curve balls hence my comment faltine even stairs them down when he gets hit with a curve ball.

25. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

I’m just now finding out that skip Johnson is the head coach at OU. We go from playing one former Augie Garrido assistant to another (and both being former pitching coaches for Texas). I expect we will see a well pitched game today knowing that tid bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Phil Elliott

Josh Holliday was not an assistant at UT. His dad, Tom, was.

27. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Ooooh yes. My bad.

28. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

His Great grandad Doc was a bad dude.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  29. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

A good dentist though

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  30. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Well folks…
    It’s just about game time.
    I hope your golf, tennis, swimming, horseback riding, motorcycle riding, or whatever you do for fun went well.
    Now it’s time for the Horns to take care of the Sooners.
    The Sooners are red hot and peaking right now—similar to us.
    It should be bullpen mania for both squads.
    Our bats need to come alive early and often.
    They’re gonna score some runs.
    We’ve just got to light up the scoreboard even brighter.

Go Horns!!!
    For the Championship!!!

:bevo::bevo::bevo:

• Like Like x 2