Big 12 WBB news

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by jusme828, Dec 26, 2017.

1. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

That’s a surprise. I always assumed she’d take over if Whitaker didn’t show marked improvement this season.

3. breckenj05

breckenj05 100+ Posts

This is interesting. Wonder if they will make another hire this year, or just ride it out with their current staff.

4. breckenj05

breckenj05 100+ Posts

Not sure how I missed this, but speaking of Tech, McKenzie Calvert transferred there and is now listed on their roster. She is a Grad Transfer from Kansas who has had some off court issues recently but is a good player. As a grad transfer I think she should be able to play right away.
    http://www.texastech.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5381

5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Trivia: Oklahoma State jumped into the Top 25 as a result of Stanford falling out - first time since 2001 the Cardinal is not ranked.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Not a lot of good things happening for the Tech program over the last few years. Nothing personal against Whitaker, but she should have been fired after last season.

7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Not good news for West Virginia:

• Like Like x 1
  8. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Oooof. Not good at all for them.

9. Karen

Karen 25+ Posts

Tynice was amazing to watch as WV beat Baylor for the Championship last year. I was really excited to watch her and the rest of her team against Texas for some fun basketball. I hope she heals soon.

10. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

Team's go through runs of bad luck. Unless you're really deep, it can have huge impacts, like West Virginia for the last two years...Notre Dame has had terrible injury luck in recent years---they lost star starting centers TWICE late in the NCAA tournament, and more bad luck this year; but they're always deep enough to survive and stay close to the top. I think that's one reason Aston alwayd keeps her roster crammed full----wanting to be prepared in case of a bad injury run.
    Gail Goestenkoers had terrible luck and lost several starters and potential outstanding players to things like chronic high blood pressure, mysterious allergies, concussions, you name it. In the latter years she recruited better than her record indicated. She just lost a number of kids with excellent potential to injuries and ailments.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I am a huge advocate of using all 15 'ships. Coach A has had her share of injuries the last few seasons. Coach G preferred having a smaller roster; obviously, I did not agree with that concept.

12. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Yep. And look at a program like UConn that’s had good luck for several years. Especially considering the fact the Geno really doesn’t play that many players even if he does have a lot of depth just like this year.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Texas Tech has fired their head coach. They waited way too long with what should have done after last season, and now they have a mess!

• Like Like x 3
  14. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Yep. And whoever the next coach is has to get those quality small town players from Texas and New Mexico. The point guard going to Oklahoma would have gone to Tech 20 years ago when Sharp was the coach. New Mexico has also had some quality players since Witaker has been at Tech.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  15. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

The situation at Tech is strange. First Balcolm resigns, now Whitaker is fired... not to mention the departure of Caldwell's dad. WTH is going on in Lubbock?

16. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

Balcolm must have seen the writing on the wall. Their forum postings indicate she left due to a family medical situation. They also have posted that Swoopes is now an assistant/associate coach. I can't imagine Tech would make her the new coach considering her past problems. Sad to see what was once a good program crash and burn.

• Like Like x 4
  17. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

From the bit that I read, their wish list includes Jeff Walz, Gail G. and Tina T.

Not to laugh and their delusions of grandeur, but Jeff Walz really?!?! Setting themselves up to be sorely disappointed.

• Like Like x 3
  18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I can't see Tina Thompson taking a job in Lubbock. The other 2? Pipe dreams would be a charitable description.

• Like Like x 1
  19. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I sincerely doubt G will ever attempt to recruit in the B12 again. Tech would be a step down for that cutie-pie from Louisville.

No idea about Tina and what she wants to do next.

• Like Like x 1
  20. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

They should look at Gerlich from UT Arlington

• Like Like x 1
  21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Lance White is a former Raider player, I think, and has been an awesome recruiter for Florida State. Forget if he was considered last time around, but I thought he would have been a better choice than Candi.

22. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

I think Goestenkors would laugh at her being considered. If she ever decides to coach again, I'm sure it would be far away from the state of Texas. JMO.

• Like Like x 6
  23. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

After Candi Whitaker was replaced, I noticed Recee Caldwell hasn't played. She still listed on the team roster and I have not seen any injury report on her.

24. breckenj05

breckenj05 100+ Posts

Recee hurt her shoulder in the Baylor game. I know she got hurt maybe late in the 3rd quarter and did not return and hasn't played since, I'm assuming that is what has been keeping her out.

• Like Like x 1
  25. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Yes, you’re right!

• Like Like x 1
  26. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Any of you have an opinion of Steve Gomez, the head coach of Lubbock Christian, and if he would make a good HC candidate for Tech?

• Like Like x 2
  27. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

28. utfannforlife

29. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

You may have been speaking metaphorically, since this gal has transferred from Kansas to Tech (rare within conference!) and may not have the eligibility left for the next transfer, unless she goes Div 2.

30. utfannforlife

Not sure of the rules, but doesn't Whittaker leaving allow her to transfer again? I feel like I just saw a similar story with one of our opponents. The name is escaping me at the moment