Big 12 WBB Tournament

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by brnkj, Mar 2, 2021.

1. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I’ve usually found BVL to be more neutral BUT she’s from Nebraska and has always shown some bias to that part of the country I have noticed. I actually usually like her commentary, but she sure stunk it up today. Took her FOREVER to even bother to mention Audrey (a missing starter). Horrible broadcast today by both in my opinion

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Footnote: That missed free throw by Kyra at the end of OT was the best thing that could've possibly happened.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I'm typically pretty fond of her as well... but she's on my **** list now.
    :soapbox:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Great team win! So many gutsy performances, including Celeste nailing her 4 free throws late in OT despite struggling from the line all season.

Most importantly, this win should keep us away from the dreaded 8/9 seed line in the NCAA tournament; would think this safely guarantees us no worse than a #7 seed.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Had pretty much this exact same conversation a little bit ago with a friend.

• Like Like x 1
  6. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

Sad thing is she is probably less obnoxious than most of the other ESPN bunch and seldom do any of them have positive words to say about Texas.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I will have to go back and watch the game from the point Charli fouled out to the end. I thought Kristen Scott would get a of lot of shot attempts with Ebo trying to guard her on the perimeter, but I don't think Fennelly ever put Scott in the game again; could be wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  11. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

I'm just now getting to watch the game and I'm totally pissed that ISU's players consistently push off with their off arm as they dribble...every single possession...and not called once!!

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

They are consistent that way for sure. It’s mind boggling it never gets called

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

We took 30 more shots. That’s like 2 extra quarters.

Honestly, if you just look at the team stats you would think we lost this game.

Between the men’s game last night and the women’s game this morning... I’m flat out dead.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I had to wait till tonight to watch this game. Wow, that kind of game is why I love basketball. My MVP's --- Kyra, Ashley, and Jo. Kyra and Ashley were fabulous. I'm glad the game was with Charli off the court for the overtime and however long in the fourth. That should give the rest of the team a lot of confidence. When there is a star like Charli, other players may not always let loose and play with full confidence, thinking all the time maybe it would be better to get the ball to Charli. Not that I don't love Charli like everyone else. ISU was clutch, but not as clutch as we were.

I don't agree about Brenda VanLengen. I think she is one of the better announcers in the business and I've never seen her show any favoritism.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Couldn't find Bill Fennelly's post-game video presser, but did find the transcript:

Big 12 Conference

He stated he could not play Kristin Scott in OT based on fatigue.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  16. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Typically Brenda is one of the better ones... but today she was definitely biased in her commentary.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

What a strange season. We pretty much outshot ISU from beyond the arch in our 3 games this season:

@ Austin -- Texas 9-20; ISU 4-14

@ Ames -- Texas 6-18; ISU 8-24

@ KC -- Texas 13-34; ISU 8-17

Cannot believe we attempted 34 three-point shots today; but, that's what the defense gave our team and they hit just enough to win the game.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

So, in the post-game presser, someone asked Coach Vic about Karisma Ortiz; he stated she was unable to play. I'm guessing that's why we haven't seen her in the past few games. That will be the case again tomorrow. Really hope she and Audrey can play come NCAA tourney time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

My takes. Brenda, and whoever the play by play guy, certainly seemed to be leaning a bit toward Iowa State. Also, and more annoyingly, it seemed that the refs were favoring Ms. Joens. My star tonight was Chevalier. During most of the season she was a sub (or didn't play at all). Tonight she was called, and she responded. And I agree that it was great to see the team respond after Charli sat down. The post-Charli era is nigh...

• Agree Agree x 8
  22. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Loved seeing Chevalier get her chance, and loved it even more to see her step up and meet the challenge. She played SO well and I'm very happy for her.

• Agree Agree x 9
  23. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

So now on to Baylor. The game is at noon, but not sure where to watch it. Texassports shows ESPN+ in one place, then shows ESPNU in the preview. The tv guide does not show it being on ESPNU. I guess it's ESPN+.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  24. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Ashley stepping up the way she did was humongous. No way Texas wins without her stepping up the way she did. She was on her assignment like glue the whole night and rotated to double Joens when it was needed. It certainly wasn't the Freshman Ashley who backed off Ryan to cover air leaving her open for a wide open 3, or left Scott open for wide open 3's 2 more times in the 4th. That was someone else who also fouled out and incidentally just declared for the WNBA.

Of course the strategies were polar opposite. Vic decided to not let them beat us from 3, while Bill decided to make them beat us from 3. Bill's gamble was that Texas would shoot more like the game against OU, rather than get hot like Kyra did. I knew Texas was capable of getting hot from 3 and they did it at the best possible time. Unfortunately Bill was wrong this time and I suspected he might be about 5 min into the game.

Great game Texas hustling your asses off, and especially great games by Kyra and Ashley.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  25. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Ashley did not play in the last Baylor game. Maybe Vic was saving her for this game? No doubt she will play and a bunch!!

• Like Like x 1
  26. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

And, now...here we go.

27. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Well, here we go... Baylor for a third time in the past month or so.

28. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Hate is a strong word, but is it ok to hate these the refs in the women’s game? Because I do. Ruining the game.

• Like Like x 1
  29. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Charli’s 2nd foul was a bad call. Wow....

• Like Like x 1
  30. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

That second foul was tough

• Like Like x 1