Big 16

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by jackden, May 14, 2010.

1. jackden

jackden 100+ Posts

Big 16South Division:
    Texas
    Texas A&M
    Kansas
    Missouri
    Iowa State
    Iowa
    Illinois
    Indiana

North Division

Michigan
    Michigan State
    PSU
    Northwest
    OSU
    Purdue
    Wisconsin
    Minnesota

Colorado & Nebraska -> PAC-12
    Other Big 12 schools, combining with UH, TCU and Rice, -> new Big South

2. Shark4

Shark4 2,500+ Posts

3. Wesser

Wesser 1,000+ Posts

You have the Big Ten taking Iowa State over Oklahoma and having OU apparently joining up with Cougar High. That is.... interesting *ahem*

4. jackden

jackden 100+ Posts

I would love to keep OU, but the deal would never be approved by Big 10 presidents because of OU's academic standing.

5. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

That does raise an interesting question - where exactly does Zero U land in this game of musical chairs?

HHD [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

OU to the Mountain West

7. TDTexas!

TDTexas! 250+ Posts

Iowa, Illinois and Indiana in the south. uh huh. go back to pacman or space invaders.

8. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

OU fears the Mountain West. [​IMG]

Seriously, Nebraska to the Pac 10??? Nahhh, never. And that Big 16 South is horrendous - absolutely no television appeal in that group at all. If that group doesn't have Oklahoma or someone else with some teeth, it would have zero appeal

9. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

So it would be Texas and Ohio State in the Title game every year...until Michigan turns it around. Then it's a toss up.

10. LonghornsWin

LonghornsWin 500+ Posts

OU fans, the three who have IQs above 80, should be shaking in their boots.

If Texas and A&M leave and go anywhere and OU is not part of the Big Ten, PAC 10, or SEC, the3y will decline.

12. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

I see UT going west ONLY if aggy and okie go with us...way too many potential recruiting problems if the ags and the dirt burglars go to the SEC without us.

If, and it's a big IF, there was a merger of the Pac and the Big 12 (What's left of it after realignment), it would look something like this:

East
    UT
    okie
    aggy
    'Zona
    'Zona State
    Tech
    KU
    okie lite

West
    USC
    UCLA
    Cal
    Stanford
    Washington
    Oregon
    Oregon State
    Utah

BYU might get into this if one of okie lite or Tech doesn't make the cut. Nebraska WILL get in if they decide to hang with the Big 12, rather than go to the Big 16, or whatever it will be called.

I'm not saying this is what IS gonna happen...I change my mind just about every day, based on the newest rumors. I'm just saying this lineup makes a lot more sense than some hypothetical "alliance" between the two conferences.

13. jdelatorre

jdelatorre 500+ Posts

I think Colorado get in before ok st or tech

14. misirlou

misirlou 250+ Posts

I doubt that Washington State would be dropped by the PAC 10.

15. Wesser

Wesser 1,000+ Posts

16. jackden

jackden 100+ Posts

If you are not a member of Association of American Universities (AAU), an exclusive club of top research universities in North America, you are not going to be invited to join Big 10. Currently, every Big 10 school is a member of AAU. It does not matter how a school is ranked in US News, whose rankings are mostly based on undergraduate education.

In Texas, only UT, A&M and Rice are members of AAU. Both A&M and Rice got admitted only recently. OU is a good research university, but, unfortunately, is not an AAU member yet.

AAU
    AAU in Wikipedia

17. Pentaconta

Pentaconta 1,000+ Posts

OK, here I'll play. Let's do a partial merger with the Pac 10, and throw in Utah for good measure. It could look something like this:

EAST DIVISION
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma State (though I'm open to Kansas instead for hoops, and Kansas City TV sets)
    Texas
    Texas A&M

MOUNTAIN DIVISION
    Arizona
    Arizona State
    Colorado
    Utah

CALIFORNIA DIVISION
    Cal
    Stanford
    UCLA
    USC

NORTHWEST DIVISION
    Oregon
    Oregon State
    Washington
    Washington State

Each season, a given team plays the three other teams in its home division, plus two teams from each of the remaining divisions on a home-and-home basis. Then rotate in the other two teams in each division every two years.

If I counted correctly, that would give you 9 conference games, leaving 3 slots left for non-conference matchups/cupcakes/etc. This should also preserve most traditional annual rivalries between the various schools. The divisional structure also ensures that schools play other schools in the same region every season, which mitigates some of the travel costs of having such a geographically spread out superconference.

Tricky thing here would be a conference championship. I say we take the top four teams overall by conference record, and do a two week mini-playoff. (Not sure if the NCAA would allow this, but I think it would be really fun if they did.) No benefit for winning a division since some divisions would be inherently weaker than others. Might have to institute some tiebrakers to get the top four teams.

18. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

19. Wesser

Wesser 1,000+ Posts

20. jackden

jackden 100+ Posts

21. Wesser

Wesser 1,000+ Posts