Big Boy League

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by CanaTigers, Jun 3, 2013.

1. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

The demise of the Big 12 has been kicked around for a few years now. But it would seem that the demise of Division I as it is now is being considered. The SEC is the power conference currently in football but we all know they have some dogs in their conference and those soon may be getting the boot.

So instead of ending up with super conferences it may be conferences of super schools. Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma, USC, Michigan, Ohio State and the other big guys may join forces to cut the little guys out of the big money stream.

Super Division

2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Novel concept. I think I have heard this proposed at least once before - yes, back in the late 60s, Frank Broyles and Darrel Royal proposed something similar. It was to be called the Coaches' Football Association (CFA). Not sure what ever happened to those guys or their idea.

Sometime take a look at which schools were on the committee that voted to give SMU the death penalty. (Not that they didn't deserve it.) A jury of your peers in this country will never happen at any level.

3. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Would SMU really have wanted a jury of their peers? Who wants to get tried by a bunch of systematic cheater? [​IMG]

4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sure. Would you rather be tried by Hofstra, Temple, Lehigh, et al or Jackie Sherrill, Barry Switzer, Tom Osborne, Fat Phil Fulmer, pick a name at Ohio State?

5. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

It makes sense for all the schools that generate the revenue to band together and cut out the ones who are just tagging along and sharing the splits. But it will really suck for those that don't make the cut and I would guess they would only get to play the big guys in their big stadiums and not ever get them at home.

And I am pretty certain that if it does happen Texas will get most of the blame.